Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 109973 times)

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #540 on: July 23, 2014, 11:12:38 AM »

i am OCD about certain stuff...and story writing is one of those OCD things lol.. i have a whole notebook of ideas and everything is outlined and summaries are written. If i change something I make sure to add a note or something in there so i can remember. I have lyrics for songs I have used in previous stories and things like that. I feel some times I am a bit of a freak lol.
~Carter~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #541 on: July 23, 2014, 11:16:54 AM »

I usually have some kind of outline, but how detailed it is depends on the story and how much wiggle room I have when getting from Point A to Point B.  I almost always know how a story is going to start and end, but the middle tends to evolve as I go.  For most of my medical dramas,  my "outline" is really just a bunch of information from my research and a timeline of events in the story, so I can keep track of when things happened.  For stories with more complex plots, I will outline chapter by chapter.  Either way, I find that having an outline is helpful because it gives me a vision for where the story is going and reminds me where it's been.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #542 on: July 23, 2014, 11:19:54 AM »

i am OCD about certain stuff...and story writing is one of those OCD things lol.. i have a whole notebook of ideas and everything is outlined and summaries are written. If i change something I make sure to add a note or something in there so i can remember. I have lyrics for songs I have used in previous stories and things like that. I feel some times I am a bit of a freak lol.

I kept a notebook like that for one of my stories, Broken, but now I just put everything in one giant Word document.  The notebook was fun though because I never erased anything or ripped pages out of it, so you can see all the crazy rambling ideas I came up with that I DIDN'T write, along with the ones I did.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #543 on: July 23, 2014, 12:19:39 PM »

I usually have a couple documents going for a story at once, one that is the actual document of the story and one that is the "Notes" document. And the notes document is typically a huge mess. It has partially written scenes in it that I needed to throw somewhere as I came up with them, it has a "brain dump" of everything that has to happen in the story and it's usually just me typing in a ramble. The story I just wrote has a big twist halfway through, and I have a bullet list in that notes document called "Before the twist!" of all the things I needed to make sure I included in the first half of that story.

I don't really outline by the chapter (the only exception is Running Up That Hill because certain things have to happen on certain days because that's where they happened in real life) but I definitely make sure I have a clear direction of where the story is starting, going and ending. I find that when I start a story without knowing those things, I fall off right away. There are things that change along the way, of course, but the main points always stay the same.

As for first person vs third person, it's funny. In BSB fandom I will typically write one-shots in first person without even giving it a second thought. But usually when writing something longer I stick with third person.

I don't know how slash writers write in third person LOL.  I'm thinking slash, for me, will always be done in first.

This amused me, Julie, because my prime reason for writing in third person now is because I don't think I could ever write a slash in the first person! The male pronouns are definitely a pain, though.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #544 on: July 23, 2014, 12:50:20 PM »

My stories come out of my ass! Seriously I do not outline or do notes. I know I want it to start & generally how I want it to finish, but the middle is usually a crap shoot lol
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 12:52:51 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #545 on: July 23, 2014, 08:43:46 PM »

I am so ocd with my notebook that every story has its own divider lol and has character profiles..its sad really lol
~Carter~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #546 on: July 24, 2014, 01:18:21 AM »

What has been your best idea, but poorest execution?  Meaning, the idea itself was good, but it could have been written so much better.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #547 on: July 24, 2014, 01:29:33 AM »

In A World Like This. I wish I had planned that better. I was thinking about a rewrite but I wasnt sure if anyone would be interested in reading it. IIt was gonna be an old school type bus c crash story.

Also When I Grow Up,  I thought I could have done so much better in writing that. I hate doing rewrites but I would like to fix that story up eventually, not rewrite all of my stories ive written, but fix the ones that failed.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #548 on: July 24, 2014, 04:31:00 AM »

^ I think the only bad thing about a rewrite is the expectation of people being interested enough to go back to read it. As long as you're doing it for your own satisfacton, then rewriting I think is almsr a great form of therapy. I know I wouldn't reread anything revised, personally. Once & done for me lol

The reason I said all that was because I have thought about a redo of Mizpah, which is my answer to Julie's question. I feel like I could execute the whole plot much better now then back then, but I decided to leave it be because for better or worse, it brought me into the world of fan fiction. I loved the whole idea behind the meaning of Mizpah and tying it into the bible but I could have done it better.

Now Shadow Woods I did a complete redo since I went OF with it but even changed the main twist and reason for being in the woods as well as introducing Kevin's girlfriend as a lead character. Sorry Howie lol
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:43:16 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #549 on: July 24, 2014, 04:35:14 AM »

What has been your best idea, but poorest execution?  Meaning, the idea itself was good, but it could have been written so much better.

Born to Be. It was one of my more creative ideas, take 1999 Nick and throw him into another universe where he'd been dead for years. But I didn't have any sense of where I was going with it. Not even the journey LOL. It was me winging it which meant bad writing.

I don't really do so much outlines as background info (if there's original characters or it's AU), the beginning, the end, and events I know need to happen during the journey of the story. Born To Be definitely needs an outline and it didn't get one. Hence the fail. I love the idea enough to have stopped when I realized this and rewrite cause I wasn't far into it, but I haven't done it yet LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #550 on: July 24, 2014, 05:05:08 AM »

Exactly I dont think anyone would read it but I feel like I could do better you know?  So it would be more of a personal Growth thing for me.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #551 on: July 24, 2014, 05:24:54 AM »

Born to Be. It was one of my more creative ideas, take 1999 Nick and throw him into another universe where he'd been dead for years. But I didn't have any sense of where I was going with it. Not even the journey LOL. It was me winging it which meant bad writing.

I don't really do so much outlines as background info (if there's original characters or it's AU), the beginning, the end, and events I know need to happen during the journey of the story. Born To Be definitely needs an outline and it didn't get one. Hence the fail. I love the idea enough to have stopped when I realized this and rewrite cause I wasn't far into it, but I haven't done it yet LOL.

I remember reading Born To Be. I am sad you didnt finish that one,  its a cool idea. 

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #552 on: July 24, 2014, 05:35:32 AM »

I wanna redo it someday but I need to sit down and work out where the story will go.

But right now I have other ideas I'm more inspired for so I'm rolling with those LOL.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #553 on: July 24, 2014, 05:41:10 AM »

I know you know this already but I am really enjoying your latst story :)  its awesome.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #554 on: July 24, 2014, 05:51:12 AM »

Aww thank you. :)

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 44