Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 110298 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #585 on: July 28, 2014, 11:43:48 AM »

Not to sound like I'm stroking my own ego but I do think all my story ideas are fairly creative  ... though 00Carter is the most random HA!

The most hurtful 'concrit' I've received wasn't really what you'd think of of concrit... My mom asked my friend Amanda, when she was talking about helping me edit Chronos Project to maybe make it OF, if I learned how to write the middle of a story yet...  ouch....

Your Mom said that? Ouch!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #586 on: July 28, 2014, 02:29:07 PM »

The most helpful concrit I've gotten came when I was writing By My Side, and it was about characterizati on.  BMS is my one big epic Nick romance, and I knew that in order to make it epic, I needed to break up Nick and Claire so I could bring them back together by the end of the story.  There were some logical reasons for them to break up, but the way I went about it was all wrong.  Never Gone had just come out, and I was in love with the song Siberia, and I was in my "song lyrics in stories" phase, so I decided to use the Siberia scenario for their break-up in the story... even though it went against everything Claire stood for as a character.  She was set up as someone who said what she meant and would stand by Nick through anything, so there is no way she would have just up and left him with "just note left on the stairs."  Except she did, because I made her.  At least a couple of my more vocal readers were not very happy about that, and one of them told me quite bluntly what was wrong with that scenario.  It was harsh, but it was honest, and it was true.  I was probably kind of hurt by it at the time, but looking back, I know she was right.  I learned a valuable lesson about being true to your characters and letting them take the lead instead of forcing them to do what you want them to do.  I may be goddess of my little fanfic world, but I still want my characters to have free will.

Like Mare, I really haven't gotten a ton of concrit, and I can't think of anything that has just devastated me, but probably the most "hurtful" comment was someone comparing 00Carter to Agent Cody Banks LOL.  Now, I haven't actually seen Agent Cody Banks, so maybe it was intended to be a compliment, but I don't think it was.  I was a little bummed out by that because I love 00Carter.  But I think it's easier to accept constructive criticism after the fact, for stories that you're farther removed from.  Even though this was years ago, we're still writing 00Carter.  BMS is old news by now, so even though I still love it, I can look back in hindsight and go, "Yeah, I shouldn't have done that.  I would do it differently now."
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #587 on: July 28, 2014, 02:34:24 PM »

Not to sound like I'm stroking my own ego but I do think all my story ideas are fairly creative  ... though 00Carter is the most random HA!

The most hurtful 'concrit' I've received wasn't really what you'd think of of concrit... My mom asked my friend Amanda, when she was talking about helping me edit Chronos Project to maybe make it OF, if I learned how to write the middle of a story yet...  ouch....

Aww... moms can be so hurtful sometimes, without even realizing it.  I won't let my mom read my writing for this reason, but on the rare occasion that it comes up, she'll say stuff like, "You're not still writing about the Backstreet Boys, are you?  When are you going to write a real novel?"  It's not like it really hurts my feelings because I know she just doesn't get it, and that's fine with me because, like I said, I don't want her reading my stuff anyway, but it's just annoying.
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #588 on: July 28, 2014, 02:58:38 PM »

at least your mom acknowledges that you can write.  according to my mom, my brother J.P. is the author in the family.  She just loves everything he's written.  I've talked to my brother about this and he says that he doesn't know what she's talking about, he's read my stuff and thinks it's decent.  I need to send him chapters of what he was reading now that I think about it... he's helping me edit.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #589 on: July 28, 2014, 03:50:20 PM »

Aww.  Well maybe you need to make your mom read your stuff so she can see what it's really like!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #590 on: July 28, 2014, 04:31:32 PM »

The best piece of concrit I ever got was from Julie, actually. It was for "Born To Be", way before I realized I needed to stop, and figure out where it was going. She told me, if I remember right that she loved my descriptions. The world I was setting up and how vivid it all was. But she also pointed out I was having some tense issues and problems in the flow of my writing. I want to say this was at least six or seven years ago LOL. It got me to sit down and really examine my style of writing.

I really grew as a writer because of it.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #591 on: July 28, 2014, 04:35:27 PM »

My mom was the only person who knew outside of the internet that I wrote fanfic. At first she didn't get it till I really explained it to her. (So she wouldn't think I was nuts LOL). Often she'd ask to read things and tell me what she thought. I didn't show her everything for obvious reasons LOL. Her favorite story was RMTW. She said I really should rewrite it and see where I could go with it as an OF. She'd also say me and my friend should try the same with Undead.

She was always convinced that one day I could get something out there as a writer. So if it ever does happen, I'm totally dedicating that first book to her.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #592 on: July 28, 2014, 04:39:25 PM »

^ Aww, that's really awesome, Rose. :)
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #593 on: July 28, 2014, 04:42:37 PM »

Aww that's sweet!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #594 on: July 28, 2014, 04:48:42 PM »

:). She also thought that Drums doll was one of the funniest things ever Julie LOL.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #595 on: July 28, 2014, 04:55:39 PM »

My mom doesn't like the writing stuff. she feels most things I like to do are stupid. However my dad is very supportive, he even helped me with the ending to Figured You Out. He said when I won the Felix award I should print it out and frame it. He told my Aunt Nancy on the phone he was really proud of me for winning an award for my writing.

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #596 on: July 28, 2014, 05:27:52 PM »

My parents thought it was stupid too. My parents never supported anything i did anyway so fan fic was a release away i guess.  My mother in law thinks i am a total basket case and i am lusting over them and its a sin blah blah blah. Art is the only person in my entire life that has ever given a crap and has supported me.
~Carter~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #597 on: July 28, 2014, 08:43:06 PM »

My sister knows I write fanfic. She actually hasn't ever read any of it, but she also never really read my book. Not a really big reader, my sister. She doesn't really have an opinion one way or the other about it.

Two questions relating to this! (even though most of us just answered it. lol)

How many of your real life friends/family know about your fanfic writing?

Also

How different is your online fanfic/BSB obsessed author-self to the you who people see everyday? Do you keep your two worlds completely separated?

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #598 on: July 28, 2014, 08:50:51 PM »

They know i write fan fic like i said before mil thinks its lust and shouldnt be done since i am with Art parents think i need to grow up.

My two worlds arnt seperated. My computer has a bsb theme background and my ringtone is i want it that way. I probably dont seperate them because it was a time in my life when i was happy. I am happy now but there was no stress like there is now.
~Carter~

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #599 on: July 28, 2014, 09:20:18 PM »

Um I think I'm slightly crazier online. I'm not afraid to really go there with my dark humor. in the real world I'm  little worried I might offend someone who doesn't know me well enough to know I'm kidding. My zombie love is well known lol, and my coworkers know I like BSB but perhaps not how far it goes. Like they have no clue I'm going on the BSB cruise, for example. Or how many times I've met the Boys, that sort of thing. And no one now knows I write fanfic.

So real world me is like...fanfic me lite?

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44