Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Let the 2014 Summer Reading Challenge Begin!  (Read 63859 times)

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
Re: Let the 2014 Summer Reading Challenge Begin!
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2014, 11:10:14 PM »

Name of story: Dangers of Fluttering

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise? yes

2) So far who is your favorite character and why? I would have to say Nick so far he is really the only character that has been introduced that I have gotten to really know :)

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be) right now I'd say anything can happen since this story is unfinished.

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit? yes

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations? other than trying to figure out who Roland was and why he wants with Brian.

These are the harder questions, but don't be afraid to answer them. Remember we all signed on to this knowing and expecting to get and give constructive criticism.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why. Maybe? Idk...not really into sci-fy stuff to be honest. But since this story is very well written I probably would have continued,

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of) nope.

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot? not at this time no
~Carter~

Kyrie

• Fledgling
« Reply #136 on: July 11, 2014, 10:34:47 PM »

Thanks Mare! Can I get chocolate? LOL :-)
“Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’” — Mary Anne Radmacher

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #137 on: July 12, 2014, 03:03:59 AM »

Yup! chocolate it coming your way! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2014, 03:16:30 AM »

Happy check in Saturday!!

We are about halfway through the summer now (AHHH!! Slow down summer...) And everyone has been doing great with this challenge.

Starting this week, everyone should start on their second story meaning there should be an *on the second story you are reading. Other than that no friendly reminders except for the trio that has not finished yet. I haven't checked but just remember to respond to your reviews yada yada yada... I'll get on you guys next weekend. I'm more focused on these guys below! You know how important  deadlines are to the anal! So make it happen! LOL

Krie: Completed her goal *gives her cookies and ice cream.* Well done! :)

carterkid: Four more chapters until you reach your goal! Still a chapter a day will get you there, on that day. Including today.

freedomwriter: Eleven more chapters until you reach your goal! I'm very impressed. I know you had a lot to read! You go on with your bad self! 4 chapters a day will do it! Again...majorl y impressed.

Ritz: Seven more chapters until you reach your goal! 3 chapters a day will get you there on that day.

Happy Reading! I'll be back on Monday or Tuesday with some more friendly or more likely forceful pushes if I have to lol :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 03:53:15 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2014, 03:51:56 AM »

Name of story: Unwinding Truth

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise?
Yes, so far so good.

2) So far who is your favorite character and why?
I would have to say Nick because of his innocence in this story. He's too cute actually lol

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be) Not really sure at the moment.

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit? It definitely draws you in and makes you want to read it.

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations?
Not as of yet.

These are the harder questions, but don't be afraid to answer them. Remember we all signed on to this knowing and expecting to get and give constructive criticism.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why.
Most likely. I don't' mind sci-fi at all. In fact I enjoy reading it, but the AU element is what I'm not a fan of and the fact that some of the boys (one for sure) is way out of character makes it hard to read as a BSB fic. So, I'm tackling it more as if it's an OF but it's hard to do that as well because two of them aren't quite as out of character. I think it's a good story, but for me not really a BSB fic. 

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of)
No, the mechanics are fantastic.

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot?
Nothing that I haven't already asked within the reviews of the story.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 03:57:10 AM by mare »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2014, 03:18:38 AM »

Deadline is tomorrow! I know you guys can so this!!

carterkid
freedomwriter
Ritz

Finish up today!!

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #141 on: July 14, 2014, 01:25:12 PM »

I'm here now, Mare! :)

Name of story: Falling In Love Again

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise? yes

2) So far who is your favorite character and why? Annie. She has a good sense of humour, strong and independent.

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be) Yes. A happy ending for Nick and Annie, but I'm excited to see how that will happen.

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit? Well, based from the summary, I thought Brian is separated from Leighanne, and he likes Annie but Annie will fall in love with Nick. That's why I was surprised when Leighanne appeared in the story as a loving wife. :)

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations? Emily is good in describing things. It makes you feel like you are part of the story, and you see them like a movie.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why. No. I'd continue, but maybe not regularly as I am really busy. This might feel like an assignment to me because of the time deadline, but I am enjoying the story and wish I have more time to read.

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of) No. But at first, I thought it was not realistic for Annie to miss that her friend Tim was Kevin's brother, but Emily explained it further in the next chapters and was able to make it believable (is this even a word? lol)

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot? None. I have asked Emily about Annie's character and she answered it through reviews. :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2014, 02:16:51 PM »

YAY Ritz!!!! OKay one down....two to go!

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2014, 02:31:47 PM »

^where's my cookies and ice cream? *pouts*
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2014, 02:35:49 PM »

Cookies and ice cream are coming! Late... ;P lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2014, 03:23:41 AM »

Okay Freedomwriter and carterkid, you have until midnight tonight EST to officially meet the deadline to either halfway there or complete.

freedomwriter: you have 12 chapters to go plus the halfway there survey to fill out.

carterkid: all you have to do is fill out the final survey!

If you don't accomplish this mission a huge bolded and bright FAIL! will appear next to your name until you do! You can do this!!! Don't make me come over there!! lol

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #146 on: July 15, 2014, 12:12:53 PM »

Name of story:The Importance of Fly Fishing by Mare

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story? Since it was just Nick and Kevin I thought I would get bored with it, I was so wrong.

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework? I looked forward to reading it

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story? I liked a lot of it so I can't really pin it down to one chapter/part.

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end?Yes

5) Who was your least favorite character and why? both are/were my favorite

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it? The story doesn't really need one but I would read it if it did

7) Were you happy with the ending? yep

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one) it didn't have any

9) What was this stories biggest strength? It showed how close the guys are to each other

10) What was it's biggest weakness? I didn't see any

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author? I have read other stuff by Mare already

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one?
As I said before, it showed how close the guys are to each other and how Kevin is so 'big brother' in the group. You also learn a little of Nick's family life

13) Did the author respond to your feedback?yes

14) Any final thoughts or questions for the author?nope, I asked the questions in the reviews

Sorry it wasn't filled out, That's what you get for trying to do two things at once
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:06:52 PM by carterkid »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2014, 01:34:29 PM »

Chris, you left just about the entire survey blank. It doesn't count as complete (or helpful) if you just paste a mostly blank survey. lol
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:41:34 PM by mare »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #148 on: July 15, 2014, 01:40:42 PM »

Readers survey (To be completed once the person reading your story is finished)

Story: The Importance of Fly Fishing

Person reading it: carterkid

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts?
I didn't really have any. I know she's a fan of Kevin and Nick so I was hoping she'd enjoy it.

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you?
She left something for every chapter but it was more of the "good job" "Oh no!" type kind so no, unfortunately, not very helpful lol

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback?
I did go back and read one chapter that Chris was confused about and I also want to read the second to last one based on what she said.

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story?
Did it meet your expectations?

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one?
Chris was very nice.

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2014, 03:04:49 PM »

Name of story: First Impressions by Kyrie

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story? The chapters were so short that my biggest challenge was not reading the whole thing in one sitting!! I seriously had to stop myself from clicking 'next' after reading four or five chapters in a row.

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework? I found myself wondering how things were going to play out, so it definitely did not feel like homework.

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story? I actually liked the ending (the very last chapter that was written as if it was a note from Kat).

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end? Yes, I was still enjoying AJ's character at the end. Although, I was also loving Nick by the end of the story too - he was always good for a bit of comic relief.

5) Who was your least favorite character and why? Denise. The fact that she was constantly coming around and offering her advice was starting to annoy me by the end. She clearly needed to learn when to butt out.

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it? There is already a sequel to this story and, yes, I am interested to check it out.

7) Were you happy with the ending? Yes. Although it was not a "fairy tale" ending, I thought that it was appropriate for how the story had been progressing.

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one) I don't think that I was surprised by anything in the story. Kyrie did a good job of foreshadowing what was to come.

9) What was this stories biggest strength? The dialogue.

10) What was it's biggest weakness? The amount of description (or lack thereof). I mentioned to Kyrie in a review that her writing almost reads like a script because it is so dialogue heavy. While this is not necessarily a bad thing, I tend to enjoy stories with a bit more description.

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author? I have started to read Kyrie's most recent submission and there has been a definite improvement in her writing from this story to her most recent one.

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one? Overall, this was a pretty typical romance story and the plot did move very quickly. However, Kyrie interjected bits of humour with Nick's character that I found pretty endearing. As a result, I kept my comments mostly plot related, I did touch on her writing style.

13) Did the author respond to your feedback? Yup!

14) Any final thoughts or questions for the author? Not at this point.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15