Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: Let the 2014 Summer Reading Challenge Begin!  (Read 63297 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Let the 2014 Summer Reading Challenge Begin!
« Reply #150 on: July 15, 2014, 08:24:05 PM »

Final survey (To be completed after finishing the story you are reading)

Name of story: A Dash of Cinnamon

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story?

The fact that it's a Brian-centered story was a challenge for me. If there hadn't have been the Nick/Group component to go along with it, I don't think I would have had nearly as much interest as I ended up having, though.

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework?

I enjoyed the beginning a lot, I waned a bit in the middle but when things really got going near the end I powered through the last couple of chapters. I kept hitting next and had to go back and review because I wanted to see how it ended.

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story?

It's going to be typical of me to say this given my fandom preferences, but my favourite scene was in chapter 33 when Nick went to bat for Brian. His friend was at risk of having his forbidden relationship found out and he went above and beyond, without concern for what people would think or say about him, to protect him. I just liked that whole sequence as a group scene, also with Howie trying to get over the fence and AJ flipping out.

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end?

I really felt for Brian at the beginning but I didn't like him as much at the end. Sure, it was a happy ending but I felt like the process to get to that point was a bit selfish since he was totally willing to put his child's future with him on the line for a woman.

5) Who was your least favorite character and why?

Leighanne lol

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it?

If I were a Brian fan, I'd eat it up. As for me, I probably would only find myself reading it for challenge purposes.

7) Were you happy with the ending?

Yeah, I was. It didn't look like it was all going to work out at first because things did really go downhill. I was happy to see that all the conflicts that were presented were concluded and nothing was left hanging.

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one)

I guess from the story's perspective the fact that Kayla is Canadian is meant to have a big reveal, but I saw hints of that dropped along the way and had figured it out before it was disclosed. For me though, the biggest surprise in the story was that she found Nick SO REPULSIVE. Should get her some glasses! :P

9) What was this stories biggest strength?

The writing, for sure. There was a very clear story arc throughout and the transitions were really smooth as it moved from introduction into conflict and resolution.

10) What was it's biggest weakness?

This line from the summary: During an on-the-road visit, the unsettling background of one C.P.S. worker results in a disappointing revelation for Nick and ultimately forces Brian to make a potentially life-changing decision.

I don't think this is a big enough plot point to put that much focus on. I didn't think her background was unsettling as it didn't do anything to change her as a character. It was a piece of her background that didn't play into the plot in a major aspect at all. It was a very minor point and I don't think specifically the unsettling revelation was what lead Brian to make the life-changing decision, it was everything else that was happening.

Perhaps you wanted that plot point to be a pivotal point, but I think there were so many larger issues that it kind of gets lost in it all.

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author?

Absolutely, I think she's a great writer!

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one?

As I said in my review, I wish I had been able to provide more constructive feedback but there wasn't much I could say. If you're a Brian fan looking for a good Brian romance and a side of bromance, this would undoubtedly be on high on the list.

A lot of us (myself included) fall into a rut of focusing on one BSB and maybe throwing in another just to remind everyone they're in the group but this story really did a great job of embracing all of them and highlighting them all really well, not just Brian.

13) Did the author respond to your feedback?

She did! I just left a whole bunch though, so I'm sure she'll reply to it later :P

14) Any final thoughts or questions for the author?

If you were to go back and change one thing about this story, what and why?
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #151 on: July 16, 2014, 03:07:10 AM »

Name of story: Forever by emily_michele

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story? Not binge reading because I tend to do that with large stories lol

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework? I would look forward to reading a few chapters here and there when I could.

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story?  I really liked the part where Carson Daly was making egg salad in the kitchen  while the boys and a very Pregnant Amelia were hiding in another room. It was great seeing all the guys together and it was cute. Plus Carson just made things really awkward and it was hilarious.

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end? I actually grew to like Howie which is very rare for me to do.

5) Who was your least favorite character and why? Carson Daly. He's a creep lmao

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it? Its not finished get but yes I would.

7) Were you happy with the ending? It isn't finished yet :( lol

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one)  Kevin getting Amelia pregnant and Nick getting married to Chrissy in Vegas.

9) What was this stories biggest strength? It has a lot of nostalgia for the 1999 time period that I love. I love old school stories. It reminds me of something I would read when I was in high school discovering fanfic for the first time.

10) What was it's biggest weakness? The chapters were kinda short and the story is long. But its well written so I don't mind.

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author? Yes it did :)

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one? I picked this because I always choose something that I wouldn't normally read. I dont normally read romance so it was a bit different, not to mention a NSYNCer as a romantic interest.

13) Did the author respond to your feedback? Yes she did. I love authors that reply to feedback. I have made friends that way.

14) Any final thoughts or questions for the author? I had fun chatting with you about the story and hope you eventually finish it!

KeepThisSecret

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #152 on: July 16, 2014, 07:03:13 AM »

For me though, the biggest surprise in the story was that she found Nick SO REPULSIVE. Should get her some glasses! :P

Bahahahaha! Too funny!! Although, I think her eyesight is just fine.  :P

If you were to go back and change one thing about this story, what and why?

I have to agree with you in the sense that I would change the whole bit about Kayla's background. When I was first writing the story, I had a different idea/outcome in my mind and then I changed my mind halfway through. Unfortunately, I had already posted the chapter with her background reveal when I decided to go in another direction, so I had to leave it in. Quite honestly, I don't remember what I had in mind originally so I can't even comment about what it was that I was planning to achieve aside from the fact that her background was supposed to play a more critical role in the story. It definitely helped me learn my lesson about posting chapters when I don't already have the next one (or two) already written.

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'm glad that you weren't bored to tears with the Brian focus.  ;) I seem to have a lot of reviews waiting for me ... I didn't even know that you had finished reading the story until I saw the survey!

Kyrie

• Fledgling
« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2014, 02:40:46 PM »

Thank you for all the kind words Keep This Secret! I have been taking the feedback and working into my newest story, hopefully well! LOL I know it was kind of like reading a script at certain points and that can very annoying to some people. I'm glad you were able to get through it and I look forward to you trying out the sequel and letting me know how things look in the new story!
“Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’” — Mary Anne Radmacher

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2014, 04:48:50 AM »

Welcome to check in Saturday!

Not a lot to say really, except everyone should now be reading their second story, so carterkid and Ritz you want to get on that.

freedomwriter you really need to finish up those chapters and just continue barreling on, we still need your halfway there survey. So I can take that huge FAIL sign down next to your name! lol

The next deadline some of you need to hit will be Saturday August 9th. By then everyone reading only one story at a time should have filled out their halfway there survey for the second story they are reading. Most of us have already done that because we rock! So this deadline is for:
carterkid
Rose
Emily
Ritz

People who have been reading two stories at once, might want to use that as a date to maybe finish one of the ones you are reading. It's the halfway point to the end of the challenge.

Friendly reminders:

Emily, Erika and Kyrie - you guys all need to fill out your reader surveys for the stories you have gotten reviews on that are completed for the challenge. Forever, Dash of Cinnamon and First Impressions

Okay well have fun reading! I will not be here next Saturday so no bugging will occur! Enjoy that!! :) lol
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 07:49:31 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2014, 06:32:43 AM »

August? No biggie :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2014, 01:29:49 PM »

I wil hopefully be reading this weekend my internet company has been doing maintenance all night...so all i have is my phone and its hard to read on a tiny screen LOL
~Carter~

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #157 on: July 20, 2014, 03:29:58 AM »

^Mare, August 9 is my birthday, am I entitled to an extension? lol

So to make it clear, by August 9 I should be done reading Emily's story and your ten one-shot?
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #158 on: July 20, 2014, 04:19:22 AM »

^ No, you should be done with Emily's story by that date. Consider it a birthday gift to be completely done with one story!
:)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #159 on: July 20, 2014, 07:21:55 AM »

Readers survey (To be completed once the person reading your story is finished)

Story:

Person reading it: Tracy/DelphinaCarter

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts?
I wasn't sure what to think. She hadn't read any of my stuff before, and I knew this wasn't really "up her alley" fanfic-wise.  I know that's part of the challenge sometimes, but it's hard to know what to expect when someone's reading a genre they aren't a big fan of.

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you? Yes.

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback? Only on a couple chapters when I wasn't sure exactly what she was talking about.

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story?  Not really.  I think we communicated pretty well through the reviews and responses.

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one?  It was good!  I enjoyed it.

Kyrie

• Fledgling
« Reply #160 on: July 20, 2014, 02:25:55 PM »

Name of story: Gone Country by Carter

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story? It was very easy to read and I had to hold back and do some of the reading at a time.

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework? I looked forward to it, I really wanted to find out what happened to Brian and Jordan.

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story? The ending where Carter summarized what was going on in Jordan and Brian’s lives

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end? Brian continued to be my favorite the whole way through! I love the way he interacted with Jordan and how he responded to difficult times

5) Who was your least favorite character and why? Brian’s ex-wife, she was a prize. She thought she could come waltzing back in and disrupt Brian’s life. I was so glad when Jordan told her off

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it? Absolutely!

7) Were you happy with the ending? I was although I did tell Carter that I wished I could have read more about what happened between the last chapter and the prologue

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one) Brian’s ex-wife coming back and no I definitely didn’t

9) What was this stories biggest strength? Being very easy to read and follow

10) What was it's biggest weakness? Giving more details but I ran into the same problems when I was writing my first ones!

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author? Yup, I already read and commented on one but there were another couple that I wanted to read

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one? I enjoyed the story and thought Carter did a great job of putting it together with the backdrop of country music.

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better? I didn’t participate last year so I don’t really know

14) Did the author respond to your feedback? Every time!

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author? Not that I can think of
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:18:25 PM by Kyrie »
“Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’” — Mary Anne Radmacher

Kyrie

• Fledgling
« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2014, 02:45:58 PM »

Readers survey (To be completed once the person reading your story is finished)

Story:First Impressions

Person reading it: KeepThisSecret

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts? I was excited. I had read two of her stories previously and thought she did a terrific job on both with both. I was looking forward to hearing her thoughts on my writing.

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you? She left me a terrific amount of feedback, more than I was used to getting. It was very helpful as I struggled with the issues she brought up and I’m trying to use it in my current story as well as any going forward.

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback? I did go back and read it. I almost wish I could edit it and add more!

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story? No, I think she answered all of them.

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one? A very good one! I appreciate all the time she took to read and review it and I hope if she gets the chance to read the sequel, she can leave me some more feedback!

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2014, 03:07:36 PM »

Gone Country isn't by me lol. :)

I just noticed it in your survey Kyrie.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Kyrie

• Fledgling
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2014, 06:17:47 PM »

Sorry!!! It was all my mistake!

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #164 on: July 20, 2014, 06:56:16 PM »

Lol it's okay! I found it funny. I'm too prolific as it is without help :p

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15