Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Let the 2014 Summer Reading Challenge Begin!  (Read 63311 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Let the 2014 Summer Reading Challenge Begin!
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2014, 08:26:52 PM »

Aww lol We share a brain so if she ever does decide to read it, most likely she'll forget what the twist was by then anyway!

Sad but true because I already had to think super hard to remember :P
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2014, 09:29:50 PM »

Name of story: Switch by carterkid

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise? I completely understand the general premise of the story, but the storyline is a little hard to follow because of some chapter organizational things (like one chapter will have only one scene, one POV, while the next might have three or four scenes and/or POVs)

2) So far who is your favorite character and why?  I think Nick.  His personality seems to be coming out a little more.

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be) I assume they'll switch back, but I'm interested to see how that happens.

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit? I think the summary works pretty well.

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations? There was a chapter about "salsa night," and it's not what you probably think.  I thought it was cute.

These are the harder questions, but don't be afraid to answer them. Remember we all signed on to this knowing and expecting to get and give constructive criticism.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why. I may have stopped, yes.  Mainly, because I'm finding it a little hard to follow.  I am interested in seeing where it goes, so I may have kept reading as well.  It's a toss-up.

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of) Not really, other than a few grammar/organizational things- but they're small.

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot? Why did you choose these two Backstreet Boys as the main characters?

I picked Nick/Kevin because I thought it was a good idea to do the oldest/youngest kind of thing. Kevin could find out about Nick's life and Nick could find out about Kevin's life.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2014, 03:33:44 AM »

Halfway there survey (Only to be completed once you have gotten at least halfway through your story)

Name of story: Forever

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise? Yes

2) So far who is your favorite character and why? emily because she is enjoyable to read about and it's fun to learn something new about her in every chapter.

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be) no but I like to be surprised.  I kind of want Emily to end up with Kevin lol but I know I am wrong. I am just enjoying the ride.

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit? It's very accurate and fine the way it is.

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations? I wasn't expecting Nick and Chrissy hooking up or for him to be so wise and mature. I was also surprised that Kevin and Emily didn't hook up in the hotel room.

These are the harder questions, but don't be afraid to answer them. Remember we all signed on to this knowing and expecting to get and give constructive criticism.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why. I am enjoying the story so far so no I wouldn't have stopped reading. 

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of) No  other than occasional typo but I can overlook those.

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot? Where did you get the idea for this story? Did you spend any time developing the characters before writing? Did any real life situation inspire some of Emily life in the the story?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2014, 05:09:30 AM »

Happy Saturday!

It looks like everyone who is reading only one story at a time is right on track! Good for all of you!!! :)

Friendly reminder's this week:

Two of you haven't read anything in two weeks (as far as looking at the reviews go anyway)
Kyrie
freedomwriter

Try to read a little bit every week otherwise you are going to fall behind and it's going to feel more like homework if you have to rush to get it done.

My suggestion is to look at how many chapters a story is and give yourself assigned days to read, especially if you aren't a big fanfic reader to begin with.

See you next week!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2014, 12:38:44 AM »

I am sooo behind, you ladies have posted halfway there survey already. *pouts* But I can do this, I won't fail Mare and I am actually enjoying Emily's story. (I just have to find more time, lol)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2014, 04:11:40 AM »

Thanks for checking in, Ritz! Since you read one of mine, I technically placed you on the reading two at once list which means you have to be halfway there by mid-July but the important thing is, you at least came in here and said something so this way, Emily and everyone else knows you are reading but you're just falling behind.

I really wish more of you would do that, it really helps the authors know it's maybe not their story and you're just busy or something.

And if that's the case, by the way (It is their story), it's also the purpose of the challenge and you SHOULD be mentioning that in your feedback.

Yes, you can tell I am starting to get a little annoyed with some lack of response and the nagging will soon commence.

:) lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2014, 04:32:17 AM »

^if this is facebook, I would have liked your post. lol Thanks for understanding, Mare. One thing I can promise, I am committed to this year's challenge and every year after.
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2014, 04:49:14 AM »

Aww thanks, Ritz! I only care because it really does effect the other writers when people just stop without explanation. It drives me nuts lol

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »

Halfway there survey (Only to be completed once you have gotten at least halfway through your story)

Name of story: Forever

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise? Yes

2) So far who is your favorite character and why? emily because she is enjoyable to read about and it's fun to learn something new about her in every chapter.

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be) no but I like to be surprised.  I kind of want Emily to end up with Kevin lol but I know I am wrong. I am just enjoying the ride.

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit? It's very accurate and fine the way it is.

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations? I wasn't expecting Nick and Chrissy hooking up or for him to be so wise and mature. I was also surprised that Kevin and Emily didn't hook up in the hotel room.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why. I am enjoying the story so far so no I wouldn't have stopped reading. 

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of) No  other than occasional typo but I can overlook those.

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot? Where did you get the idea for this story? Did you spend any time developing the characters before writing? Did any real life situation inspire some of Emily life in the the story?

Sorry it took me a few days to answer your questions, Tracy.  Truth be told, and I think I've explained this about the "Forever" story before, this is a rewrite and combination of the fanfic that a group of friends and I used to write back in the day, circa 1998-99.  That group of friends basically represents the girls in the story, with a few tweaks to make them fictional, and some dramatic flair added in a few cases.  So, "Emily" in the story has a lot of me in her, albeit  a younger, more vulnerable Emily in a fictional world.  I only wish I'd changed up the names a bit more, particularly for the main character. LOL.  As a matter of fact, there are a few scenes that are word for word what I wrote when I was a teenager (though those are pretty few and far between).

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2014, 03:43:21 AM »

Hello and welcome to check in Saturday! :)

If you are reading one story at a time: You should have your halfway survey done for the first story, by June 30th at the latest.

Everyone who is reading one story at a time has completed the halfway there surveys before the deadline! YAY!!!  ;D

If you are reading both stories simultaneously, your halfway surveys (both of them) should be done by July 16th at the latest.

If you are reading only one very long story, your halfway survey should be done by July 16th at the latest.

The above are your next goals.

In addition: If you haven't started on your second stories yet, you probably should get going on them sometime this week. By next Saturday, everyone should be on their second story, even if it's just the first chapter.

Friendly reminders for the week:

Freedomwriter - Don't forget to answer your feedback for The Road That Leads To Who Knows Where and Dangers of Fluttering

Julilly - Don't forget to fill in your reader's survey for Stockholm Syndrome

So, keep on reading and responding and I'll see you back here next weekend! :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 03:46:58 AM by mare »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2014, 03:50:15 AM »

Just a note about stories in progress that may be updated while you are reading them. If you have already filled out the halfway there and final surveys and then a new chapter is posted, it's completely up to you whether or not you want to continue reading and reviewing. It depends on you and whether or not you enjoyed it enough to keep reading. If it's updated before you fill those surveys out then you SHOULD keep reading them.

Hope that helps! 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2014, 04:24:50 AM »

Final survey (To be completed after finishing the story you are reading)

Name of story: All of Your Life

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story?
I knew for me, the biggest challenge would be just reading it. I haven't really been a very big fanfic reader as of late, so just sticking with the story was going to be rough, any story.

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework?
I usually read first thing in the morning when my mind is clear so it doesn't feel like homework. The longer I wait to read something the less I want to. Again it has nothing to do with the story, this is ANY story. I am telling you, that's the challenge for me. I have the fanfic reading attention span of a gnat. lol

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story?
This is going to sound incredibly horrible and morbid, but baby Melissa's funeral.

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end?
I don't remember who I said I liked at the beginning but I think Nick turned out to be my favorite character in the end.

5) Who was your least favorite character and why?
Probably Jane, even though she wasn't quite depicted in a realistic Jane type way, she was still mean and annoying. Just not AS mean and annoying as she seems to be in real life. LOL

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it?
I understand there already is a sequel to this story. I don't think there needs to be though, so most likely I wouldn't. I feel like the story and characters wrapped up very nicely in this one and we found out all we needed to know.

7) Were you happy with the ending?
Yes, like I said before, it wrapped up nicely and needed that happy ending after the whole tragedy of a baby dying.

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one)

I wasn't expecting one of the twins to die.

9) What was this stories biggest strength?
Because she drew from personal experience, that's how the story came across. It seemed very personal, because it was.

10) What was it's biggest weakness?
The mechanics - grammar, sentence structure, overall plot and character development.

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author?
Based on this story alone, I would say no, but I think with a bit of work and a lot of editing, I might consider reading another one down the road.

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one?
I admit, at first it was a little tough for me because grammatically there were so many things that needed to be fixed, I felt like I was giving too much concrit. Once I got a sense that Carter understood that side of things, I was able to ignore those mistakes and instead focus on the overall plot of the story and only occasionally offered some advice. I found once I did that, it was a bit easier to read and review.

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better?
I'm going to take this question off the survey lol because this is the new way we're doing things.

14) Did the author respond to your feedback?
Yes, she did! *claps!* lol

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author?

I'm glad I got a chance to get to know carter through this experience. She has had quite the life and in the end, I'm glad everything has turned out well for her!

Because this story was so personal to you, did you find it hard if and when people criticized or didn't like your characters?

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2014, 04:52:57 PM »

Person reading it: Mare

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts? I believe I felt completely terrified! lol

2) Did your reader leave you an adequate amount of feedback and was it helpful to you? Oh yes :)

3) Did you find yourself going back to read your story as a result of the feedback? Most defiantly because with some chapters I could not for the life of me remember what I had written or why I wrote a certain chapter the way I did.

4) Do you have any questions for the person reading your story? Nope...

5) Overall did you find the experience a good one or a bad one? I found it to be a good one. I know my stories are hard to probably understand and the grammar is just terrible at times but I know I will be going home and editing and revising some stuff so I think I will grow from here on out :)
~Carter~

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2014, 05:01:21 PM »

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author?[/b]
I'm glad I got a chance to get to know carter through this experience. She has had quite the life and in the end, I'm glad everything has turned out well for her!

Because this story was so personal to you, did you find it hard if and when people criticized or didn't like your characters?

I take it in stride...I know  that I underdeveloped the characters and such with this story. I know the characters are based off my real personal life and some of its weird and odd I guess but at the end of the day I am the one who knows them the best and personally so if they don't like it then it's like a whatever kind of thing i guess. I try not to take it personal because I know this is just a story :)

Also, one quick note lol..with the sequel I had this whole thing out in my head and I only went with a sequel because I didn't know much about the NKOTBSB tour...to be honest I didn't keep up with it at all! So I decided to continue it after that particular tour was over with and the recording process had started for IAWLT. I wrote most of this story I think before the new album was even out and as i listened to it I started thinking of things and I just kinda added on to it. After I learned Nick  & Lauren were getting married I was like oooo I can add this, this this and ooo a little of that in as well lol. I actually have ANOTHER sequel lined up after "Happily Never After" it would be hard to explain really lol.

But Now that I have rambled a little bit I am glad you liked it Mare I am sorry it was tough to read in spots but I am hoping when I get home (finally flying home on Tuesday!) that I can re-write and do a little research and make my new stories a little better :)
~Carter~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2014, 05:59:04 PM »

Person reading it: Mare

1) When you found out this person was reading your story what were your initial thoughts? I believe I felt completely terrified! lol

Aww lol I'm not that scary!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15