Fic Talk > Featured Story of the Month

FS for December Story # 95: Fear of Flying by Pengi

<< < (3/4) > >>

Pengi:
Not a single other idea. I instantly saw the scene where Nick and Brian are back to back, surrounded by peanut butter crazed llamas in the middle of a Peruvian field after a plane crash. The image was so vivid, I just ran with it. It spun out from there.

Admittedly, that's usually how I write. I get one really vivid scene in my head and I write out from there. I'm usually driving when it happens and I think to myself: "OK, so that's a cool scene. But how did we get there? Where does it go after that?" And I start storyboarding until I figure it out and the next thing you know I have a full story summary.

The funniest part is sometimes the scene that inspired the story doesn't even end up in the story in the end by the time I get to that part of the story.

But no, there was never another concept for the prompt when I saw the challenge. I instantly went to the insanity that is Nick cooing "Good Llama...."

RokofAges75:
Congrats, Hannah!

Pengi:
An interesting side note would be that I didn't have any particular fondness (or hatred) of llamas prior to this story. Once this story was written, it became an inside joke really quickly with friends - especially Jen (evergreenwrite r) - and I, and it was that inside joke-ness that really made the llama thing take off... It just kind of spread like wild flower. So yes, I definitely owe the originator of this challenge a huge nod for the llama origin story.

FrickingKaos:
Congrats on the top ten. I voted for this story as it was the first one I read by Hannah. I love crazy stories like this one, it's one of my personal favorites. Hannah is an amazing writer even with more serious stories.... I've laughed, cried, cried while laughing and constantly look for the Next button.

My favorite scene in Fear Of Flying was nick and Brian bring surrounded by the llamas, before Nick lost his pants.

Pengi:
Crazy stories can be the most fun to write sometimes... takes the pressure off the realism and puts it entirely on the creativity of the story. I like trying to achieve a balance between the two. I'm big on trying to stay in canon, if that makes sense. I feel like it adds to the challenge of writing a little bit. If you can create a believable, fictional world based on cold hard fact it's like rewriting history. Obviously Fear of Flying wasn't one of the stories that challenged me in that respect. Half the stuff that happens doesn't even make sense, lol. But it was fun.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version