Fic Talk > General Discussion

Even newer questions to ponder

<< < (44/112) > >>

FrickingKaos:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on August 03, 2017, 10:11:55 PM ---That's funny!  Does anyone else have an example of something that seems so basic now that you didn't know or struggled with when you first started writing?

--- End quote ---

I just learned how to make things italicized when I post to AC. Cause I post from my phone I don't have the editor function so I need to use HTML and I know nothing about it. Cinzia actually told me and I was so excited I learned how to do it lol

mare:
Thanks, Tracy and Julie!

And thanks for also mentioning 5 BSB's, Tracy!

One thing I struggled with was dialogue. When I very first started, I didn't realize that you could put a period at the end of your sentences inside the quotes lol uh...I was a bit out of practice.

Sakabelle:

--- Quote from: DelphinaCarter on August 03, 2017, 11:54:20 PM ---I just learned how to make things italicized when I post to AC. Cause I post from my phone I don't have the editor function so I need to use HTML and I know nothing about it. Cinzia actually told me and I was so excited I learned how to do it lol

--- End quote ---

Haha Tracy that's funny! I started learning HTML because of fanfic too, back in the day I decided I wanted to have my own website so I got my friend's brother to show me some basic stuff. As I wanted my website to look better I started learning some Javascript. I ended up going to school for Computer Science and I still work in the website/tech industry. I never really made that connection between fanfic and my eventual career until now. Huh!

RokofAges75:
That's really cool, Steph!  Has fanfic influenced anyone else's life or career in some way?

For me, as a teacher, writing as a hobby has not only made me a better writer, but also a better teacher of writing.  The writing I do in front of my students to model different strategies is probably stronger than it would have been if I hadn't gotten into fanfic, at least when it comes to fiction/narrative writing.  And just having a love of writing makes it more fun to teach, too.

Also, going along with the HTML thing, running my own website for so long has taught me lots of technology skills that have come in handy in my career and real life - building a website, creating graphics, using social media, etc.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: DelphinaCarter on August 03, 2017, 11:50:23 PM ---I love parodies.. I might love suspense but I highly enjoy a good parody, obviously cause I'm a huge Weird Al fan.

--- End quote ---

I love parodies too!  There used to be a lot more of them in the BSB fandom... well, some of them were more "hate stories" than fanfic, but those were still funny too.  One of my favorites, going WAY back, is this parody of The Blair Witch Project: http://www.angelfire.com/bc/BackstreetComedy/Blair.html  It's not well-written, and it's so old-school, I'm not sure anyone who didn't read it back in 1999 would even find it funny now, but for whatever reason, it's always cracked me up.  There's another one of The Exorcist on the same site that was pretty funny too.  I also loved everyone's Beauty and the Beast stories - one of my favorite challenges we've done!

I really enjoy writing parodies.  I don't write them all that often, but I've done a few for 00Carter and various short stories.  My favorite is probably my pandaskunk series because it spoofs a bunch of different stuff, and even though it's silly, it somehow all works together.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version