Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread

<< < (73/150) > >>

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 09, 2021, 07:55:06 PM ---Now you have to write a suspense thriller that turns out to be a fever dreamed caused by cancer.

--- End quote ---

LMAO!  Oh jeez, don't give me ideas.  I cut myself off from writing any more cancer stories.  Unless it's that Brian brain tumor story... cause at least it wouldn't be about Nick.

Anyone else ever been like, "Okay, that ship has sailed.  I will never write that type of storyline/genre/whatever again"?

Here's another story idea I gave myself in one of the question threads, which I have no memory of LOL.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on July 31, 2014, 04:36:36 PM ---Maybe someday I'll write that Brian/Howie story that everyone thinks would be such a snoozefest, and I'll make it an AU, and Brian will be a teacher, and Howie be a doctor, and I will be the female love interest who has to choose between the cute teacher and the rich doctor, and no one else will want to read it, but I will sure enjoy writing it! LMAO

I'm kidding... maybe.

--- End quote ---

We had been talking about some interview where the boys were asked what they would have done for a living if they weren't musicians, and those are the professions Brian and Howie mentioned.  Maybe I should write a story where Nick and Howie decide to go to med school together LOL.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 09, 2021, 07:55:06 PM ---And now I'm rewriting PBox... Man, I've apparently really only had one good idea ever, haha.

--- End quote ---

LOL Better one good idea than none!

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 09, 2021, 08:08:24 PM ---LMAO!  Oh jeez, don't give me ideas.  I cut myself off from writing any more cancer stories.  Unless it's that Brian brain tumor story... cause at least it wouldn't be about Nick.

Anyone else ever been like, "Okay, that ship has sailed.  I will never write that type of storyline/genre/whatever again"?
--- End quote ---

Okay, fine, a coma dream... Whatever.  Just add it to your ideas folder.

I did for ten years, then decided that I would be forever defined by it. I've poked in some of the recommendation s threads, always hoping it's someone's fantasy pick and it never is. I think I went the wrong route putting the twist at the end instead of at the beginning for a BSB fanfic, haha. Or not disappeared for a decade? But you're exactly right on this:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 09, 2021, 08:09:03 PM ---LOL Better one good idea than none!

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 09, 2021, 08:08:24 PM ---Here's another story idea I gave myself in one of the question threads, which I have no memory of LOL.

We had been talking about some interview where the boys were asked what they would have done for a living if they weren't musicians, and those are the professions Brian and Howie mentioned.  Maybe I should write a story where Nick and Howie decide to go to med school together LOL.

--- End quote ---

You kind of did that with Brian and AJ in that AU already. At least Brian the teacher. I just can't picture you writing a self-insert fanfic, especially after all these years.

Or, instead of going to Med School together, Howie's like a few years ahead and becomes Nick's friend and mentor.

Howie stories will not be snoozefests. I'm going to go campaign in a socially responsible way. More justice for Howie! *makes a glittery sign that says "#TeamSweetD" and buttons*

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 09, 2021, 08:22:59 PM ---Okay, fine, a coma dream... Whatever.  Just add it to your ideas folder.

--- End quote ---

LOL I think I do have an old idea written down somewhere that was all going to turn out to be a coma dream, but it seemed too cliched.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 09, 2021, 08:22:59 PM ---I did for ten years, then decided that I would be forever defined by it. I've poked in some of the recommendation s threads, always hoping it's someone's fantasy pick and it never is. I think I went the wrong route putting the twist at the end instead of at the beginning for a BSB fanfic, haha. Or not disappeared for a decade?

--- End quote ---

I think it's the disappearing for a decade that is the problem.  Obviously there are a few of us still here from ten years ago, but not many.  It seems like most people that were actively reading back then have moved on or disappeared.  I bet Pbox got lost in the crowd after you stopped updating it, and people that came to AC after that never found it.  Hopefully you'll attract some new readers, if not here than on AO3.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 09, 2021, 08:22:59 PM ---You kind of did that with Brian and AJ in that AU already. At least Brian the teacher. I just can't picture you writing a self-insert fanfic, especially after all these years.

Or, instead of going to Med School together, Howie's like a few years ahead and becomes Nick's friend and mentor.

Howie stories will not be snoozefests. I'm going to go campaign in a socially responsible way. More justice for Howie! *makes a glittery sign that says "#TeamSweetD" and buttons*

--- End quote ---

Oh no, I wouldn't really write the teacher/doctor/self-insert love triangle.  There's a reason that one never made it into my ideas folder.  That would bore the crap out of me LOL.

I had that same thought about Howie being the mentor, but that would make it an AU, which is basically already what Code Blue was.  I was thinking it would be more interesting if Nick went to med school as himself, a Backstreet Boy.  It would be more along the lines of the show Castle, where a famous writer shadows a homicide detective to research for a story and ends up basically joining the police department.  This probably isn't a serious idea, although never say never.  I've written many a story that started as a joke.

RokofAges75:
Here is one reason I haven't updated Guilty Roads in so long:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on August 03, 2014, 10:43:25 PM ---Honestly, that is the problem I've been having with that story forever.  Why doesn't Nick just do that?  Is he really that stupid?  I want him to stay because that's how I envisioned the story going, but I don't know why he would, and the further I get into it, the harder it is to justify.  So I just stopped writing and moved on to something easier to write.  When the going gets tough... give up! :)

--- End quote ---

Great advice LOL.

At what point is it better to give up and move on to a different project instead of persevering with one that's giving you all kinds of trouble?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version