Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread

<< < (76/150) > >>

RokofAges75:
I just finished through your last compilation of them in this thread (thanks for doing that, btw, saved me time!), and we're up to 740!

nicksgal:
Wow, so many questions! ???

What will you do now that you compiled them all? haha.

nicksgal:
Beginnings are almost always hard for me, and I have probably used just about all of the ways they say NOT to start a novel at one point or another.  What are your thoughts on this list?  Bad Ways to Start a Novel: http://www.wattpad.com/4667955-bad-ways-to-start-a-novel

That made me laugh. if I ever decide to un-fanficify this whole thing, then they're probably right that I should actually start with chapter two of PBox.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 09, 2021, 10:03:10 PM ---I liked this question a lot:

24. If you could pick two stories you have written as a before and after to show us how much you have grown as a writer, which two would you pick?

But I almost want to change it to a before and after editing question... How does the same story change after you edit? Give us a scene that isn't a spoiler!

--- End quote ---

I don't typically save old versions of chapters/stories after editing, and my edits don't usually drastically change a scene anyway.  I edit more for mistakes, word choice, and sometimes adding in more description, body language, and that type of thing.

But I guess on kind of a related note, I came across this post I made in June 2017 in one of the question threads: http://absolutechaos.net/fictalk/index.php/topic,3335.msg117928.html#msg117928

"Is anyone else super indecisive when it comes to writing?  I'm usually not, but I just started a new story, and I have been having so much trouble making up my mind about basic things, like a title and events.  I feel like I have a solid premise and some good character development going for me (and I do have set names for the original ones, which is usually something I get hung up on), but everything else I keep changing my mind about.  I wrote two whole chapters of the story, then completely scrapped them and started the whole thing over, and I've made at least five different banners with different titles.  I haven't even attempted to write a summary yet, but I feel like that may be a challenge for me too.  Is this a bad sign that my story may be doomed from the start? LOL"

This was the story that would become A Heart That Isn't Mine, although I didn't have that title yet because the song (Don't Go Breaking My Heart) would not come out for another year.  I have never struggled so much getting started with a story that I would ultimately go on to finish.  I wrote three completely different versions of the first couple chapters.  The first version started at a convention in Atlanta.  The second version started at a concert in New Jersey.  And the third and final version started at a bar in Key West LOL.  Howie was also going to be the second main BSB after Nick in the original version, but I switched it to Brian in the second two versions.  I also did make multiple banners with multiple titles, none of which I loved.  What finally got me into a groove on it was literally Don't Go Breaking My Heart and the lyric "If you're gonna be someone that hurts somebody just for fun, then do it to a heart that isn't mine."  Once I changed the title, I was good.  It sounds so stupid, but I really can't write a story until I've decided on a title LOL.  I am proud of myself for persevering and coming back to this idea because it turned out to be one I really liked.

Anyone else have a story they've struggled with and ultimately finished?  Or maybe one that's still a struggle?  What is it that tends to gives you the most trouble?

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 09, 2021, 11:21:06 PM ---Wow, so many questions! ???

What will you do now that you compiled them all? haha.

--- End quote ---

Um, I need to go eat dinner (you know, at 11:30 p.m. LOL) and stop staring at this screen for a while.  But I'm sure I'll be back at some point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version