Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread

<< < (80/150) > >>

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 10, 2021, 06:16:20 PM ---What things does everyone think BSB fanfic writers are more guilty of and what things are they less guilty of? Like, I don't know that we have as many "monologue heavy villains," for instance.

--- End quote ---

In general, I think we're definitely guilty of the dialogue tags and physical description stuff (including eye-based reactions).  Also the rakeish love interest.  Since most of us find the Boys attractive, we put in those sexy descriptions, such as Nick smirking or Howie winking.  (But to be fair, Howie does wink a lot in real life, and Nick is always flashing that cute, crooked smile, so some of that is realistic.)

I don't think we do the villain monologues as much, but I have seen it in this fandom, obviously more in suspense stories.  The overblown dramatic scenes, though, definitely!

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 10, 2021, 06:17:46 PM ---I love that you picked your music because of a joke you used! haha

You just gotta lighten the mood sometimes, you know?

--- End quote ---

Writing is such a lonely habit sometimes.  Gotta find ways to make yourself laugh!  I find the more serious/intense/dramatic a scene is, the more I laugh as I'm writing it.  I guess it's the same kind of awkward giggling I do on the rare occasion I write a sex scene.  It eases the tension.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 10, 2021, 06:30:26 PM ---Since most of us find the Boys attractive, we put in those sexy descriptions, such as Nick smirking or Howie winking.  (But to be fair, Howie does wink a lot in real life, and Nick is always flashing that cute, crooked smile, so some of that is realistic.)

--- End quote ---

Darn them for being so attractive.

I feel like if it was one character always winking, it wouldn't be that bad because that's believably plausible as "this character tends to wink when the situation calls for it." Or Nick having smile based reactions, because he just does that. I think you run into problem territory when either, every character is using the same reaction. Like Howie, AJ, and Brian winking all the time? No... Or if that's the only thing that one character does in the story... See below, I'm sorry, I had to:

Nick gripped the sides of his head, his pulse quickening as he hyperventilate d. "How did a bomb get on our tour bus?! What do we do?! All of my video games are in here! All of you are in here! I'm too young to die! What if this is like Speed and if the bus doesn't keep driving we die?!"

Howie winked.

Nick grabbed his shoulders and shook them. "Stop winking! This is serious!"

(That made me laugh so hard thinking about it, because that is not a situation Howie would wink in.)

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 10, 2021, 06:32:32 PM ---Writing is such a lonely habit sometimes.  Gotta find ways to make yourself laugh!  I find the more serious/intense/dramatic a scene is, the more I laugh as I'm writing it.  I guess it's the same kind of awkward giggling I do on the rare occasion I write a sex scene.  It eases the tension.

--- End quote ---

It's pretty lonely. That's why I'm much happier about it now that I'm being a supreme time waster again. I figure you can't be only sad when you're writing sad things. It's more fun to laugh.

Meanwhile, I'm still laughing about Howie winking about the bomb...

RokofAges75:
LMAO!!  Howie's the only one I could see winking in that situation.  I swear he can't help it; it's more of a tic than a conscious decision.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version