Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread

<< < (107/150) > >>

mare:
Same ^

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 16, 2021, 12:50:08 AM ---Hahahaha! Well, I figured after leg choppage and zombie viruses you could either go completely mundane or continue down the less common medical issues path. How common are flesh eating bacteria? I'm actually not sure!

I wish I still had my tiny wheel, then I would write these on it for the full laugh.

--- End quote ---

Flesh-eating bacteria aren't super common, but when I hear stories in the news about it, it usually comes from Florida, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to infect Nick with it LOL.  Future "1000 Ways to Kill Carter" idea, perhaps.

You read my mind.  I have a wheel somewhere that I bought for my classroom a long time ago and don't use, but I don't remember if it's in storage at school or out in my garage.  I need to go look for it.  I would totally make a Wheel of Misfortune LMAO.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 16, 2021, 12:50:08 AM ---Think there are Sick Howie or Sick Kevin stories? I'm sure Sick AJ has to exist...

--- End quote ---

LOL I have written Sick Howie.  I have a Kevin medical drama started - not so much Sick Kevin as Hurt Kevin, but close enough.  Sick AJ definitely exists, though he's much rarer than Sick Nick or Sick Brian.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 16, 2021, 12:50:08 AM ---A medical drama and a bus crash? How did it feel to go back to your roots?

--- End quote ---

It was fun!  One of the first few fanfics I wrote was a bus crash story, which was admittedly pretty bad.  It was satisfying to write a fresh take on that storyline and actually write it well this time.  It was the perfect story for me.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 16, 2021, 12:50:08 AM ---All the squees here too. Though I prefer my problems on the emotional side over the medical for hurt/comfort. This one is broken and being cared about helps fix them and makes it so they start personing again. Aww.

--- End quote ---

Emotional hurt/comfort is good too!  I just love angst.

--- Quote from: FrickingKaos on January 16, 2021, 04:58:48 AM ---I love stories where the guys are kidnapped, whether it's one or all of them. I like hurt /comfort stories.

I especially love stories set back in the day when they were younger. Old school stuff.

--- End quote ---

Yes to all of the above!!  More old-school kidnapping stories, please!  I would love to see you or Mare write another one.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 16, 2021, 10:19:55 AM ---Flesh-eating bacteria aren't super common, but when I hear stories in the news about it, it usually comes from Florida, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to infect Nick with it LOL.  Future "1000 Ways to Kill Carter" idea, perhaps.

You read my mind.  I have a wheel somewhere that I bought for my classroom a long time ago and don't use, but I don't remember if it's in storage at school or out in my garage.  I need to go look for it.  I would totally make a Wheel of Misfortune LMAO.
--- End quote ---

Nick's just down in the Keys racing boats, falls in the water, then a couple days later has black spots on his body...

You bought a wheel and don't use it? I love those tiny wheels. The one I bought got donated to the non-profit board I used to be on because it was a long inside joke among some of the older members who have all since retired. And again, people love tiny wheels. If you can't find it, maybe I'll just buy you a Wheel of Misfortune for the laughs. I think it wasn't that expensive if memory serves correctly.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 16, 2021, 10:19:55 AM ---It was fun!  One of the first few fanfics I wrote was a bus crash story, which was admittedly pretty bad.  It was satisfying to write a fresh take on that storyline and actually write it well this time.  It was the perfect story for me.
--- End quote ---

I love it. I don't think I could go back and do a fresh take on any of the first stories I wrote, they would just be... bad... It would be too bad...

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 16, 2021, 10:19:55 AM ---Emotional hurt/comfort is good too!  I just love angst.
--- End quote ---

Same. I think that's a telltale sign that a professional author used to write fanfic, because I think that's one thing all fandoms have in common: everyone just loves angst.

--- Quote from: FrickingKaos on January 16, 2021, 04:58:48 AM ---I love stories where the guys are kidnapped, whether it's one or all of them. I like hurt /comfort stories.

I especially love stories set back in the day when they were younger. Old school stuff.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: mare on January 16, 2021, 05:13:07 AM ---Same ^

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 16, 2021, 10:19:55 AM ---Yes to all of the above!!  More old-school kidnapping stories, please!  I would love to see you or Mare write another one.

--- End quote ---

Seconded. I hear there was a Nick and Brian being kidnapped, but thinking they were getting ice cream idea earlier in this thread.

nicksgal:
So I was really productive today so far, but not in the way I intended! I mentioned earlier that I've been enjoying the bops on I'm Taking Off this past week and this morning, I woke up with one tiny line from one of the songs in my head and I was like, "Oh, hey Nick, you want to talk about something clearly." "I want to say this." And then I wrote part of the end of PNecklace.  :o So, I guess now I know that my editing break did not deter my will to finish it (good for me).

Do you all always know the exact end before you start writing or is it more vague ideas? If you write in order, what do you do when monumental things like that pop up? If you don't always write things in order, would you drop everything and write an end before you've finished a middle?

I also ended up spitting this out onto the paper during that writing session: “If I don’t have you, all those promises don’t mean anything!”

Did I accidentally Backstreet and lean into it or did my brain purposefully put the words in that order to intentionally Backstreet?  :shrug: I know I accidentally Hamilton sometimes, but in a BSB fanfic it's less clear to me because there are definitely times I do it on purpose (like the thing Nick bugged me about this morning or every Incomplete reference in PBox), but I've also found a few while editing where I've thought, "Haha, BSB. I don't think I meant to do that?"

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 16, 2021, 12:29:58 PM ---Nick's just down in the Keys racing boats, falls in the water, then a couple days later has black spots on his body...

--- End quote ---

Necrotic flesh, oh noes!!

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 16, 2021, 12:29:58 PM ---You bought a wheel and don't use it? I love those tiny wheels. The one I bought got donated to the non-profit board I used to be on because it was a long inside joke among some of the older members who have all since retired. And again, people love tiny wheels. If you can't find it, maybe I'll just buy you a Wheel of Misfortune for the laughs. I think it wasn't that expensive if memory serves correctly.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I bought it with the thought of using it for classroom management, but then I got away from giving out rewards for behavior and haven't found another good use for it.  I have a smartboard, so it's easier to just use a virtual spinner when I need one.  This one was just taking up space.  I know I still have it somewhere though; it was too cool to get rid of, and as I've said, I'm a bit of a hoarder LOL.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 16, 2021, 12:29:58 PM ---Seconded. I hear there was a Nick and Brian being kidnapped, but thinking they were getting ice cream idea earlier in this thread.

--- End quote ---

LOL!  Crazy fans pull up outside the studio in an ice cream truck...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version