Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread

<< < (12/150) > >>

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 01, 2021, 03:45:42 PM ---LOL I know, sometimes I cringe at those old threads where we hijacked the topics with side conversations and think how obnoxious we all were, myself included.  I may still be obnoxious, but I'd like to think I'm less so now that I'm older LOL.
--- End quote ---

Like no wonder cliques came up so often back then. Maybe that's why Mare used to tell us stop and move discussions so often and said nothing when this turned into "a how I organize and declutter my stuff" discussion. And poor Rose, I once hijacked one of her update threads to have such a dumb "argument" with her that we could have just kept having privately over YIM instead.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 01, 2021, 03:45:42 PM --- I have had students have "accidents" at school, but it's not as common in 4th grade as I'm sure it is in preschool.

I'm sure dermatologists get their fair share of bad smells.  There's a lot of pus on Dr. Pimple Popper, and that can't smell great.  I bet healthcare workers get desensitized pretty quickly though.  God bless them for the work they do, especially this past year!  I think I made the right choice with teaching.

--- End quote ---

Teaching grade school this year, I think I've had one accident all semester, not one a day! Very grateful!

And that's true, especially if it's infected. God bless them indeed, and all essential workers. Essential workers are the backbone of our society for sure and I hope they get the recognition they deserve from now on. I agree, definitely made the correct choice hanging out with my small friends.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 01, 2021, 01:23:16 PM ---Writing goals this year? I'm not sure that I could commit to writing something 365 days in a row, 30 was fun, but I just don't think I could keep up the pace. Though if we're counting editing (which I have been), I'm up to 61 in a row now, so maybe I could? If I really tried... But I feel like that's a lot to commit to right now. Especially after only really editing for a month.

I think my writing goals are:
1. Finish this massive editing project that is PBox a decade later.
2. Maybe finish writing PNecklace this year. Only 28 chapters to go and 32 pages of interesting tidbits to put in the right spots! Which feels like another 4-7 chapters based on what they're about... Seems doable? Especially since I have updates covered through May, so it feels less stressful than posting a thing I had then having nothing until I write the next one.

I could probably do another month of writing every day some time this summer (the hustle and bustle of November is fun, but kind of an odd time of year), so if anyone else was interested in doing a "Camp NaNo" type thing together, I think they do it in April and July? I'd be happy to organize if that's up anyone else's alley.

--- End quote ---

Those are good goals.  If you count editing (which I agree is an important part of writing), even just opening a story up every day and doing something with it, whether that be adding on or just editing one word, seems doable.

I've always kind of wanted to do NaNoWriMo, but November is not a good month for me either.  Between parent-teacher conferences and getting ready for the holidays, I get busy and don't have as much time to devote to writing. Summer would be a much better time for that for us teachers. I would definitely be interested in doing something like that in July.  Reminds me of the summer reading challenges we used to do around here.  I miss those!

nicksgal:
Editing always turns into a massive undertaking for me. Like the new chapter I posted this week, after I'd edited it I'd ended up changing or adding about 600 words. I don't think I could just do one word in a day, haha. I've definitely decided that editing is a major part of my routine now, though I'm looking forward to when it's just the PNecklace chapter of the week edit. I should have done 5 chapters a week for PBox, but 10 weeks seemed like a long time to edit before posting a new story.

I was honestly surprised that I completed it this year because it was a lot of very precise time management for those same reasons (although I guess my conferences were way less involved this year than last year, though I did do a school-wide literacy training at that time so... still time consuming). Let's chat about Camp Nano in May then! I tried it once and the nice thing is that you can set your own goals and it doesn't have to be the 50,000 words necessarily. I'll set it up when the time comes. Maybe there's a way to conjoin it with a reading challenge.

FrickingKaos:
My only goal right now is to finish If I Knew Then, which I've been working on for about two years. I don't know how long it's going to be but it's going to be a long story. So far that's my only focus right at the moment.

nicksgal:
You've got this!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version