Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread

<< < (117/150) > >>

RokofAges75:
That's okay though.  A lot of published novels have longer chapters than most fanfics.  I'd rather have them all be different lengths than try to chop them up in places that don't make sense.

nicksgal:
That's true! I guess I don't notice it as much in a published novel because the table of contents doesn't tell me "Get ready to read 5,000 words that are all great, but it's a lot!" ;) I figure as long as the repetitive overwrites are going away, like so and so nodded their head, then it's fine if a little extra is need for clarity.

Instead of editing today, I'm working on the weirdest project about word usage because of something someone wrote in a review once: "You open a lot of chapters talking about darkness." So I wondered, just how often do I talk about darkness? Let's find out!

RokofAges75:
LOL!  I like to look for patterns in my writing too.  Sometimes I get deja vu and think, "Did I write this exact line in another story?"  So then I go searching to see.  Sometimes I discover that I actually did LOL.  And sometimes it's just deja vu.

FrickingKaos:
I've been working on this chapter of If I Knew Then and it's been difficult because like I said before, it's a Brian centric chapter. It's a out his heart surgery. I am having a bit of trouble with how I want this one to go because I know a lot of my readers are excited to read it and I don't want to disappoint them. Not to mention I never really go into details when it comes to medical stuff cause I don't know anything about it. So that's a bit challenging for me as well.

Either way I feel like this chapter might take me a little longer to write. I did watch some videos with Brian talking about the surgery and those helped a little bit.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 18, 2021, 05:21:25 PM ---LOL!  I like to look for patterns in my writing too.  Sometimes I get deja vu and think, "Did I write this exact line in another story?"  So then I go searching to see.  Sometimes I discover that I actually did LOL.  And sometimes it's just deja vu.

--- End quote ---

I love and hate when that happens. And I find that I do, I'm like, do I use it again? Was it really that great hat it needs to go twice? Who knows?

The other fun part of my project is "Just how often do Nick and Minako say the other's name?" Because it feels like a lot and often loudly. I went through the first ten chapters and was like "Good job Nick, that wasn't that bad." Whereas Minako was basically like "Nick Nick Nick Nick Nick Nick Nick Nick..." ad nauseam. Minako, at least try to pass the Bechdel test as much as you can, will you? And Minako got a little better in the next ten chapters, but then Nick doubled, so I'm not sure where we stand. I'm hoping that it gets better as they have more and different people to talk to in the next ten chapters, haha.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version