Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread

<< < (131/150) > >>

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 21, 2021, 06:34:45 PM ---LMAO Don't worry, I'm not that weird!

I did write on the trip, but only a sentence or so on my phone at night just so I could say I wrote something LOL.

LOL Your husband's gotten used to it, huh?  It's probably better than he not ask questions.

--- End quote ---

I'm glad you at least wrote something to keep the streak alive! Five words is still five words and Rose would obviously be sympathetic to the streak.

I always feel kind of weird writing at airports too, but it's less the writing aspect and more that people at airports (or any kind of prolonged travel situation) tend to be nosy about strangers. I hate people looking over my shoulder as I write or read, especially if they were like "Huh... demons with magic powers... okay?" I think I would die a little if someone said that to me out loud while I was physically typing.

Unless, in 00Carter, Nick has to get from terminal A to terminal E in Atlanta's airport in 15 minutes or less. That might be the only thing I would act out in an airport because people would just think "Oh, they're really late for their connecting flight." I used Atlanta specifically because it's practically impossible (I've attempted it), but I know O'Hare is similar in that respect as well.

You know, he's had kind of a whirlwind life since Nick and AJ were both on celebrity competition shows at the same time. He adapts pretty quickly, haha. He keeps begging me to write him into my story in his dream cameo scenario: He's sitting at the bar drinking a beer and singing along to "We Built This City" on the touchtunes jukebox and the characters just come in and do whatever. And I tried to explain to him that of all those things, "beer" and "a bar-like establishment" are the only things that might exist in universe. So then he moved on to "Fine just at a random gas station," which again don't exist per se. So after I shot down those two things, he pretty much gave up asking about it. He's not one for fantasy, though he did like GOT, but probably more for the sex and history aspects than the dragons and more fantasy races.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 21, 2021, 06:36:24 PM ---What's the weirdest place you've ever worked on one of your stories?

So I asked this question because today was a late arrival day for my students, so I had an hour to myself to kill and nothing work-related to catch up on (what a weird world!), so I went back into my editing with a watchful eye on the door because can't have the kids suddenly appear behind me and ask "Who stabbed what with a sword?"

--- End quote ---

I'm impressed!  I don't think I would ever be able to focus enough to work on a fanfic at work.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 21, 2021, 06:36:24 PM ---I do have a lot of things bookmarked for stories that are also pretty weird. Pages of "parts of weapons" diagrams and also youtube videos about albatrosses.
--- End quote ---

Haha, same with the weird stuff bookmarked.  Although not albatrosses... now I wanna look up videos of albatrosses.  Aww, here's a video of an albatross mating dance!  https://youtu.be/SFwgCh1hh4U  Albatrosses are adorable!

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 21, 2021, 06:46:39 PM ---I'm glad you at least wrote something to keep the streak alive! Five words is still five words and Rose would obviously be sympathetic to the streak.

I always feel kind of weird writing at airports too, but it's less the writing aspect and more that people at airports (or any kind of prolonged travel situation) tend to be nosy about strangers. I hate people looking over my shoulder as I write or read, especially if they were like "Huh... demons with magic powers... okay?" I think I would die a little if someone said that to me out loud while I was physically typing.

Unless, in 00Carter, Nick has to get from terminal A to terminal E in Atlanta's airport in 15 minutes or less. That might be the only thing I would act out in an airport because people would just think "Oh, they're really late for their connecting flight." I used Atlanta specifically because it's practically impossible (I've attempted it), but I know O'Hare is similar in that respect as well.

--- End quote ---

LOL This is why I got it out of the way at the airport and not on the plane.  Impossible to get away from prying eyes on a plane!

Oh yeah, I would act that out in an airport too LOL.  Atlanta and O'Hare are both crazy big and busy.  I have definitely done the "run through the airport to get on your connecting flight before they close the door" at O'Hare.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 21, 2021, 06:46:39 PM ---I'm glad you at least wrote something to keep the streak alive! Five words is still five words and Rose would obviously be sympathetic to the streak.

You know, he's had kind of a whirlwind life since Nick and AJ were both on celebrity competition shows at the same time. He adapts pretty quickly, haha. He keeps begging me to write him into my story in his dream cameo scenario: He's sitting at the bar drinking a beer and singing along to "We Built This City" on the touchtunes jukebox and the characters just come in and do whatever. And I tried to explain to him that of all those things, "beer" and "a bar-like establishment" are the only things that might exist in universe. So then he moved on to "Fine just at a random gas station," which again don't exist per se. So after I shot down those two things, he pretty much gave up asking about it. He's not one for fantasy, though he did like GOT, but probably more for the sex and history aspects than the dragons and more fantasy races.

--- End quote ---

Aww LOL.  Someday you'll have to include that scene in a story in which it is possible.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 21, 2021, 07:08:21 PM ---I'm impressed!  I don't think I would ever be able to focus enough to work on a fanfic at work.

Haha, same with the weird stuff bookmarked.  Although not albatrosses... now I wanna look up videos of albatrosses.  Aww, here's a video of an albatross mating dance!  https://youtu.be/SFwgCh1hh4U  Albatrosses are adorable!

--- End quote ---

I'm in kind of a weird hole where I don't really interact with people outside my classroom much, and especially more now with COVID, so it was pretty much dead silence for an hour.

It's mostly because albatrosses are large, like people with wings would be, so more similar physics-wise than a bat even though they have bat-like wings. Honestly I can probably explain it all away with *MAGIC* but the physics of a running start is nice, when I remember to use it. The amount of times they all just basketball player jump would never actually work.  :shrug: You're welcome for sending you on an albatross time suck!

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 21, 2021, 07:14:28 PM ---LOL This is why I got it out of the way at the airport and not on the plane.  Impossible to get away from prying eyes on a plane!

Oh yeah, I would act that out in an airport too LOL.  Atlanta and O'Hare are both crazy big and busy.  I have definitely done the "run through the airport to get on your connecting flight before they close the door" at O'Hare.

Aww LOL.  Someday you'll have to include that scene in a story in which it is possible.

--- End quote ---

I've also written on a plane, but it's typically work-related. Can't think of the last time I tried working on a novel on an airplane, but I know people on the bus would constantly bother me.

Well, now we all just have to race through the airport as fast as we can and see who wins!

Someday. Next time I do more urban fantasy, I suppose. Maybe there's a place for his cameo in the "Nick is Brian's guardian angel" one.

nicksgal:
I need a support group for ellipses abuse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version