Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread

<< < (136/150) > >>

nicksgal:
While I keep writing emotional death scenes, here are some fun random questions for everyone:

How many words can you write in a minute?

What's the weirdest thing you've ever researched?

If you could ask one of the Boys one question to help with your writing, who would you ask and what would that question be?

Would you rather only write self-insert fanfics or have to write about only one of the Boys and his wife for every story? Why?

If you spent an hour "writing" how much of it would be dedicated solely to putting words on the page?

What's your go-to writing snack?

Imagine a world where pet peeves are no longer allowed: Which fanfic pet peeve would be the hardest for you to give up?

Of all the old fanfic cliches, which one is your guilty pleasure?

Share with us the last word you wrote down. If it's not a spoiler, tell us the last sentence.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 22, 2021, 09:12:41 PM ---It feels a little cheap, but it's probably fine as long as it's not a competition or something. If it's just you versus you, write as much or as little as you want.

--- End quote ---

Oh, it definitely felt like cheating, but it at least kept me opening the story every day for months, which made me more productive in the long run.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 22, 2021, 09:12:41 PM ---At least you don't write a lot of murder-based stories, because those shower scrawlings could get a little weird!

--- End quote ---

LOL They definitely get weird.  I technically killed Nick on the wall of the shower in my old apartment.  It's most fun when I write in red, and then it looks like blood as the water makes the letters run.  I may have had "Redrum" scrawled on the wall of said apartment shower for months just for fun and then had a hard time getting it off when it was time to move LOL.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 22, 2021, 09:12:41 PM ---No, of course no. It's getting paid to do something you love, so you get a lump sum when you start a story and then another lump sum when it's over. And views and reviews give you incentive bonuses or something.

Then if you decide to start putting out crud to get paid faster, that's on you. ;)

--- End quote ---

Yes!  That sounds like a perfect way to do it.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 22, 2021, 09:40:48 PM ---Oh, it definitely felt like cheating, but it at least kept me opening the story every day for months, which made me more productive in the long run.
--- End quote ---

I've actually liked writing every day again. So I may keep trying, just to see what happens. Now if I could be better about other habits this way, haha. I complained about that to my husband and he said, "Sounds like an easy way to be an alcoholic." Clearly I meant going on a walk every day or something, Nick...  ::)

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 22, 2021, 09:40:48 PM ---LOL They definitely get weird.  I technically killed Nick on the wall of the shower in my old apartment.  It's most fun when I write in red, and then it looks like blood as the water makes the letters run.  I may have had "Redrum" scrawled on the wall of said apartment shower for months just for fun and then had a hard time getting it off when it was time to move LOL.
--- End quote ---

I was hoping you had something like redrum or nivekllik on your wall with the letters running (and it's a joy knowing it's true), but I'm sure those are impossible to clean if you leave them up too long!

nicksgal:
So I got stuck trying to make Nick turn Minako when he's standing behind her and doodling did not help, so I made my husband act it out with me with only the information "We're standing like this and you want me to turn around, but you can't tell me that. What do you do?" I've forced him to get involved in my writing, oh no! Except I walked down and said: "I need your help, I have a question!" And his answer was "No, I don't like AJ." "What?" "I thought you were going to ask me who my least favorite Backstreet Boy was and I don't know the other three." "Kevin, Brian, and Howie..." "Howie? Oh yeah, **** him." "Aww, Howie!  :(" "Was that the wrong answer? Are you still killing people in your book, maybe you should kill Howie." "Aww, Howie! :( I'm not killing Backstreet Boys..."

Yes I am. He knows! He's been reading it while I'm sleeping or something.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 22, 2021, 09:46:32 PM ---I've actually liked writing every day again. So I may keep trying, just to see what happens. Now if I could be better about other habits this way, haha. I complained about that to my husband and he said, "Sounds like an easy way to be an alcoholic." Clearly I meant going on a walk every day or something, Nick...  ::)

--- End quote ---

I like it when I'm inspired.  I don't like it when it feels forced.  But forcing it is part of the process sometimes.  I did not set a resolution to write every day this year, but I've been writing every weekend for a while now, so it will feel weird not to tomorrow.  Or maybe I will?  I haven't decided if I'm going to try or just take a break for at least one weekend.  We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

I, too, wish I could be better at sticking with other habits, like working out LOL.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 22, 2021, 09:46:32 PM ---I was hoping you had something like redrum or nivekllik on your wall with the letters running (and it's a joy knowing it's true), but I'm sure those are impossible to clean if you leave them up too long!

--- End quote ---

You know it!  But yeah, I have learned to quickly type up what I wrote or at least take a picture and then wipe it off because otherwise it will stain.  It runs so much, it gets hard to read pretty quickly anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version