Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread

<< < (143/150) > >>

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 23, 2021, 09:46:23 PM ---Kids today will never know the struggle LOL.

Emotional + physical torture = the best!
--- End quote ---

Yes! They'll never know now that they can get their apps and their whatis in their hands at birth!

Hahaha! Yup, my favorite! That's why Nick angsts and bleeds so much in Pbox! Because then the others can patch him up.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 23, 2021, 09:46:23 PM ---I thankfully had just bought TP before all this went down, so I was good for awhile, but when I started running low and went looking for it, I had to buy whatever brand I could find, not my usual.  The first time I ended up with some weird lavender scented Angel Soft.  Who needs scented toilet paper?!  But Mare will be happy to know the pandemic made me switch my brand of choice from Charmin Ultra Soft to Cottonelle.

Aww, prairie dogs!  I was inspired for that story by an article I read about a squirrel testing positive for plague near LA (when Nick still lived there).  So I had him get bitten by a squirrel while feeding it, and he contracted bubonic plague.
--- End quote ---

Thank goodness! I feel like running out of toilet paper would be awful. We have also had to buy some weird brands to tie us over. Scented toilet paper is so weird! Sorry you had to experience that! OOh, Mare will be happy to know that we're a Cottonelle household too!

LMAO! Nick would feed a squirrel and die. Nick, you're not supposed to feed them!

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 23, 2021, 09:46:23 PM ---Yep, I agree.  I joke about killing them, but I only kill one in a serious novel if it makes sense and feels right.  It's never a spur of the moment decision, but something I've had planned for a long time.

You said originally you were going to kill them all.  What made you change your mind?

Has anyone else ever planned to kill a Boy and then given them a stay of execution at the last minute?  Or done the opposite and killed one off when you were originally planning to let him live?

--- End quote ---

You definitely have to plan out the serious death of a Boy so you can make it emotional and give everyone else the right amount of grieving.

I was originally going to kill them all! It was what I thought needed to happen for the "priestesses don't really have powers, they hold and purify their demon's powers to use them and having them unseals the box" premise. It worked for the story, but... *someone*... hated that. haha. Nick hated it so much.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 06, 2021, 11:45:18 PM ---So I got to chapter fourteen, Brian's powers were introduced, and short fused Nick jumped in guns blazing, but was still standing at the end of it. Tiny, persistent Nick popped up and said, "Hey, I know you decided we would all die for the plot. I'll for sure do some crazy things, but I'm not dying. I will make it to the end alive." "There's still time, Nick." "Not dying." And this went on over the next couple of chapters as I focused on Brian a little and there was Nick, still trucking along when they got to Kevin. "Fine, Nick. I guess you're not planning on dying." "Nope." "Be honest, Kevin wouldn't get to the end and decide to die either, would he?" "Nope." "Okay, then in addition to it being defensive, I have to make his healing power bad***." So Kevin got the ability to heal and guard his little brothers while turning the power to heal into an attack (somehow, that part took a while longer still)."
--- End quote ---

Nick and I basically found a loophole he liked that meant he still got to live: "Well, I already gave her my whole heart a long time ago, so she can have it whenever and I can still live since she already had it." And I just kind of figured that Kevin wouldn't actually put up with dying, more than AJ, Howie, or Brian wouldn't put up with it. Plus, after I made his power to heal awesome if he used it to attack (it's like a mirroring thing and then he seals up all his wounds), I realized that he could probably just pry his own heart out of his chest and regenerate another one if he needed to, thus living just fine.

If anyone needed another clue that this whole story is actually about the Boys and Nick in particular, here you go: Pandoras can't open the box without their demons. I've also made it abundantly clear in the title for "Pandora's Necklace," which you'll remember from PBox is a temporary magic artifact that actually represents Nick's heart. Ta da!

nicksgal:
You know what my biggest writing pet peeve is? Google docs loads slower than my fingers type... So frustrating.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 15, 2021, 10:25:17 PM ---Describe what you've got going on writing-wise in five words or less, but cryptically.
--- End quote ---

Phew! Only two chapters left!

Wish me luck to finish them quickly tomorrow!

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 24, 2021, 12:14:29 AM ---You know what my biggest writing pet peeve is? Google docs loads slower than my fingers type... So frustrating.

--- End quote ---

Ugh, I know, especially with long stories.  I tend to just keep them open and minimized when I'm working on them consistently instead of having to reload them every time.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 24, 2021, 02:01:56 AM ---Phew! Only two chapters left!

Wish me luck to finish them quickly tomorrow!

--- End quote ---

Good luck!

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 24, 2021, 11:14:28 AM ---Ugh, I know, especially with long stories.  I tend to just keep them open and minimized when I'm working on them consistently instead of having to reload them every time.

Good luck!

--- End quote ---

I also just leave them open unless I know I won't be looking at them for several days in a row. And since I like to do callback quotes, as I mentioned, I basically have the entire story open for these last five chapters just in case I have to double check if I edited a quote I used.

Thanks! Nick and Kevin are busy doing the Hunger Games salute. We're almost there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version