Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)

<< < (6/149) > >>

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 11, 2021, 08:10:47 PM ---I always second guess myself on spelling conscious, conscience, etcetera.  And I have no idea why they get me. All the vowels in a row probably? Every time I type two separate words and then you type them with a hyphen, I mentally chide myself, haha. Does that need a hyphen? I've failed in front of the Almighty General of Grammar.

I think one that always gets me is that I tend to have a "got to list" of ways to describe things based on force (typically) or volume (less so) and I'll catch myself doing them many times in the same chapter and go "Okay, well, not everything has to be 'gripped' or 'thrust,' dang Dee." But then I hate the alternatives and spend too much time deciding on different ones.

And now I'm caught up!

--- End quote ---

Hyphenates are hard too!  If in doubt, I just Google, but sometimes I don't doubt myself when I should LOL.  I hear you with the conscious/conscience thing too.

Do you have an actual typed up list of those words or just a mental one?  I don't keep actual lists of stuff like that, but I do tend to use similar descriptions and have to watch to make sure I don't repeat myself too often within the same story.  I think it's fine if it's in different stories or even different chapters/scenes.  But yeah, sometimes certain words just work best.

Rose:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 11, 2021, 08:42:51 PM ---LOL Is that an Underpants Gnomes reference?!  The South ParQ Vaccination Special last night was so good!

I like first person for stories with just one or two main characters.  I have read stories that alternated first person POV between all five Boys, but I haven't attempted one of those yet.  I think it could get confusing and hard to capture five different narrative voices, so I stick with third person for group stories.  Two is more manageable, and I like the dynamic it creates with telling two different sides of the same story.

--- End quote ---

I think you could do it.

I only did that once, with Here We Stand and that was admittedly the biggest challenge, keeping in mind the different types of nuances so that you could tell who was telling the story.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 11, 2021, 08:53:09 PM ---It was a reference to last night's episode! :D I liked it, but did feel kind of sad about their Kenny friend divorce schedule. But it's also been decades, so I'm sure they're running out of ideas that keep the overall status quo.

--- End quote ---

That's what I thought!  Yes, it's sad to see the broship end, but I'm sure it's only temporary.  Remember when they killed Kenny off "permanently" for a couple of seasons?  They eventually brought him back.  It was nice to see Mr. Garrison (and Mr. Hat!) back at South Park Elementary.  He's not one of my favorite characters, but I liked the nostalgia of it.  I especially liked that the episode wasn't about Randy and Tegridy Farms.  I'm sick of Randy.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 11, 2021, 09:02:18 PM ---You're right! I have busted that out then, actually, but had to be very clear that it's "without training wheels" though, haha. I did start learning to ride a bike, but outgrew it before I learned and we never bought a more appropriate sized one. I'm a champion tricycle rider though, which served me well at "Trike Race Night" in college.

--- End quote ---

LOL!  You should have your husband teach you how to ride a bike.

Rose:
You know, when I think about fanfic tropes I don't think I did many in terms of actual plotlines. I'm not counting the romance ones cause the one and only fic I have in that genre was to take the most obvious ones on purpose and sort of put my own spin on it. I do have the Bus Crash one in Miles To Go, though that's because that fic is definitely my homage to Misery. Just like how in many ways Song For The Undead did it's thing for The Stand.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: Rose on March 11, 2021, 09:12:06 PM ---I think you could do it.

I only did that once, with Here We Stand and that was admittedly the biggest challenge, keeping in mind the different types of nuances so that you could tell who was telling the story.

--- End quote ---

Thanks!  I could, but I don't know that I would do it well.  I don't even know if I'm good at differentiatin g between two different voices, which is why I always just label the character at the top of the chapter.  But I've come to really enjoy writing that way anyway.  After three third person stories in a row, I was ready for another one in first.

The five-voice first person POV would be a good thing to try first with a short story, like one chapter from each perspective.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version