Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)

<< < (72/149) > >>

nicksgal:
Ooh, I was poking around NaNo and found this: https://wordsprints.org/

Could be fun to schedule a word sprint against each other if we're all having inspired days. :) See what we can do in fifteen to thirty minutes or something.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on April 11, 2021, 09:01:41 PM ---Were you always a morning person, Mare, or did you become one? Teach me your ways if it's the second one, lol. I need a million alarms to wake up or I'm asleep until some time between 8am and 11am and never know which one it will be.

I believe it was all the time and you were always surprised that we were all still up. At least for Rose and I, it was slightly earlier, closer to 2/3am and not Julie's 4am! Except for the few times when we were all up until it his 9am the next morning. Those were wild nights, lol.

This is all me except for that Sonic Bomb. My last effort alarm clock is my husband saying "your alarm went off again." And that doesn't always work. I can only fall asleep at 8pm if I'm absolutely dying. I don't even know what my natural circadian rhythm is because I inevitably end up thinking I'm tired, then lay awake in bed for hours.

--- End quote ---

Yes, same!  I lost my internal clock in college.  My dorm roommate had a double major, a full course load, a part-time job, and a boyfriend, so she was always really busy and would regularly stay up into the wee hours of the morning studying while I was trying to sleep before my 8 a.m. classes.  So I learned to sleep through just about anything with the light on.  I think that's what made me such a deep sleeper as an adult.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on April 11, 2021, 09:01:41 PM ---Also, what does everyone think, is it easier to write in an emotional headspace (sad, angry, whatever) when you're feeling that way yourself or more difficult?

--- End quote ---

It depends.  In general, I would say I write best when I'm in a good mood and not stressing out about something.  But I have been known to channel negative emotions into positive writing experiences.  I started Secrets of the Heart after a shitty week at work, when I desperately just needed to think about something else over the weekend.  And I got on a roll with A Heart That Isn't Mine after my grandpa died, when I was also trying to distract myself.  I think it works best when I'm in that emotional headspace because of something I can't control, like grief.  There's nothing you can really do about grief; you just have to go through it.  But if it's caused by a problem I can and should solve, it's harder to focus on writing before I do something to fix the problem.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on April 11, 2021, 09:01:41 PM ---But the Russian Doll being multiple people has given me hope that the Boys could all be on it together some day. They have some sort of costume, unmask them, and it's Nick in the crocodile suit, lol.

--- End quote ---

LOL That would be awesome!

We may have discussed this before, but which BSB do we think is most likely to be on the Masked Singer next?  My money's on AJ, but I think it would be a great moment for Howie or Kevin to shine.  I don't see Brian doing it unless it was something with the whole group, partly because of his voice and partly because he just doesn't like the type to do a reality show.  Right, Blurry Brian?

In hindsight, maybe he should have gone on Celebrity Apprentice back in the day LOL.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on April 11, 2021, 09:18:42 PM ---You know, it's been pretty good. I woke up with this very vivid picture in my mind this morning and was jotting down some notes about it. And then I realized it wasn't Nick doing a thing, it was Nick looking at/reacting to a painting and then this whole group of little scenes sprung out of it and I got to put some of my new research in. It was fun. Then I started my next PNecklace chapter and decided to write a little flashback scene with the secret and it's been making me laugh so hard.

--- End quote ---

That is fun!  I love when you wake up with words or pictures already in your mind, just ready to write.  Mine was this whole made-up anecdote about Kevin finding a baby bird when he was a kid, and it was exactly the kind of thing I needed to bookend the bird reference I'm planning to use at the end of this chapter, but I couldn't come up with anything that good last night.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on April 11, 2021, 09:18:42 PM ---I've also enjoyed watching my little read counters go up. :) The later PNecklace chapters are getting some hits, so that makes me happy. Everyone's probably behind on their reading like I am as I furiously write for hours instead. And from what is my best guess, PBox has been read about 600 times, so it's an enjoyable day over here.

--- End quote ---

That's great!  I wish more of these readers would leave comments, but at least there's people clicking on your stories.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on April 11, 2021, 09:18:42 PM ---Woo! Good for you on a hard work writing day! The inspiration around here is infectious! :) When y'all are motivated, it makes me feel motivated too.

Glad you came up with something better and found time to shower, lol. Congrats on hitting page 100! Every time I hit 100, 200, etcetera, it always makes me happy too. It just means the story is coming along. I'm at about 345 pages right now or so... Getting closer to the end bit by bit.

--- End quote ---

Thanks!  Yes, your good writing day yesterday must have rubbed off on me today!  I wrote 3000 words, which is a lot for me in one day.

Good for you for getting to page 345, thereabouts!  How long do you estimate the finished story will be?

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on April 11, 2021, 09:31:46 PM ---Ooh, I was poking around NaNo and found this: https://wordsprints.org/

Could be fun to schedule a word sprint against each other if we're all having inspired days. :) See what we can do in fifteen to thirty minutes or something.

--- End quote ---

LOL I would probably be terrible at that, but it sounds like a fun thing to try sometime.  Maybe the competition aspect of it would help keep me focused and make me write faster.  As we've discussed, I can type quickly, but I don't write quickly.

mare:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 11, 2021, 05:25:55 PM ---I am always amazed by morning people like you!  Waking up without an alarm??  What is this sorcery?  I have multiple alarms set on my phone at full volume in case I sleep through the first or shut it off and accidentally fall back asleep, which I have been known to do.  I also have an alarm clock called the Sonic Bomb that buzzes super loud and has flashing lights and a vibrator thing that goes under the mattress to shake it.  It's ridiculous, but being a heavy sleeper and not having anyone around to wake me up I oversleep makes me paranoid.  My parents are like you, though - they never need to set an alarm.  They also go to bed at like 8 o'clock, which I have tried and cannot do.  If I go to bed early, it's usually at like 5, and I take a nap for two hours and then get up again.  I have terrible sleep habits LOL.  I wish I could be a teacher on a second shift schedule because my summer schedule, where I stay up all night and sleep until early afternoon, is my natural circadian rhythm.[\quote]

Wow! We are totally opposite! My sister is more like you. Her alarm goes off about ten times before she usually gets up and the level of loudness and noise varies depending on how late it’s getting. No matter how early or late I go to bed, I’m at early. I always wake up around 3 then it’s a waiting game until I get myself totally up. I sleep about 3 to 4 hours a night if I’m lucky. That’s with taking zzz quill. My sleep patterns also suck!

--- Quote ---Yeah, that story was devastating.  Thanks for the Broken mention!  I still remember writing that scene because it was the last thing I wrote before moving out for college, so I was in a pretty emotional headspace myself.

About depressing vs. dark - exactly.  That is a good way to differentiate it.  Does it make you cry and feel sad, or does it make you squirm and feel uncomfortable?

I totally agree about animals too.  I will cry over human characters dying if I care about them enough, but an animal dying always destroys me, even if it's just a small part of the story.  The most heartbreaking death in the whole Harry Potter series for me was Hedwig.  I shed a few tears over other characters' deaths, but I sobbed for that poor owl.  And don't even get me started on dog books.  I still remember reading Where the Red Fern Grows in my 7th grade literature class, where the teacher had us round-robin read it in class, and the day we read the end, she only called on boys to read aloud because all of us girls were crying.  Such a sad book, but a great bonding experience.[\quote]

I managed to escape all the dead or dying dog novels in elementary school and up. I’ve never read the Red Fern but I was always able to tell when my students were reading it in class lol

--- Quote ---I'm a few episodes behind on New Amsterdam, but it's been okay.  I'm really glad they didn't kill Dr. Kapoor in the first couple episodes because I like him.

I am mad at myself because after how excited I was about getting caught up with Snowpiercer before this season started, I fell way behind on it!  I watched the first few episodes, and then I think I got distracted with my story and started writing on Monday nights instead and stopped watching it live.  I have all the episodes recorded, so I need to catch up.  I thought I was going to do that over spring break, but I haven't watched very much TV.

--- End quote ---

I’m glad they didn’t kill him off too. I feel like all the medical dramas felt like they needed to kill off characters to make a Covid realistic episode. I’m glad all the main characters were spared on both that one and The Resident. Let me know when you get caught up with Snow Piercer.

sorry this came out looking so weird. I tried to do the quote thing but I do this from my phone so it’s not working properly. [\color]

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version