Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)

<< < (78/149) > >>

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on April 16, 2021, 10:00:14 PM ---Speaking of sitting down and making yourself write, here's today's Camp NaNo Care Package:

"What gets your butt in the chair (aside from Camp NaNoWriMo!)? What makes for your best writing? These are not always the same.

For me: Pomodoros get my butt in the seat and words on the page (twenty-five minute writing sprints, tomato-shaped kitchen timer optional). But my best writing happens when I let myself stare out the window and not worry about the timer and how many words are spilling and squirting onto the page. I do my best writing when I remember that thinking and daydreaming are writing, too, no matter how long they take."

Today's Writing Challenge:

If you need to get some words down on the page, take Jen's suggestion and try to Pomodoro technique! Set a timer to write for 25 minutes, then take a 5 minute break. After 4 writing sessions, take a longer (15-20 minute) break. Repeat as many times as you like or are able to!

So today's question: what gets your butt in the chair? What makes for your best writing? We talked about environment/rituals yesterday, so take this as you will.

Also, see, she said thinking and daydreaming are writing too. I think we're all on the write track when we say "you thought about the story today" being writing.

--- End quote ---

I have never tried the timer method.  I'm not sure if it would make me more productive or just make me feel stressed and under pressure.  I guess it's worth a shot next time I find myself focus failing.

What gets my butt in the chair is knowing what a good mood it puts me in when I have a productive writing day.  I love writing [fanfic] and the feeling I get from it.  I look forward to that, but the only way to get that feeling is to sit down and put words on the screen.  It helps when I am emotionally connected to the story and excited about what's coming up in it.

Thinking and daydreaming are definitely important parts of the process.  That's how you get that emotional connection and how you keep the excitement alive, even when you can't write.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 16, 2021, 10:36:58 PM ---Yes, it's one of the wine glasses from their site that says "I wine it that way." LOL
--- End quote ---

lol! I think I missed that when it was for sale, alas.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 16, 2021, 10:36:58 PM ---I'm more of a leisurely sipper when it comes to coffee, so it always gets cold if I put it in a mug.  It's fine for before school, when I have to drink it fairly quickly while I'm getting ready, but not so great for a morning marathon writing session.
--- End quote ---

I get that. I'm definitely done with my coffee within 30-40 minutes every day, an hour at most. I wish I could get more into tea because I like the idea of sipping hot drinks all day on principle, but coffee is just easier to make, tastes better, and has more caffeine.

One of my roommates was a more leisure sipper, so for Christmas I got her one of those coffee mug warmers, she absolutely adored it. Could be the solution to your mug problem.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 16, 2021, 10:36:58 PM ---I also looked on Etsy and was disappointed by the lack of BSB tumblers I liked!  I am also somewhat picky about tumblers; they have to have a lid that is easy to drink out of, but not easy to spill.

I had to look up the kitchen towels.  Here they are for anyone else who's interested. I have a problem with buying way too many cute kitchen towels, but the fact that it's BSB and has a clever pun... yeah, I may need one.

Also, kudos to the creator of this NSYNC towel that also came up in my search: "Don't leave dishes *NSync." LMAO

--- End quote ---

I loved those cute straw ones, but they're just so impractical compared to a water bottle. Travel coffee mugs, same. Easy to drink out of, difficult to spill.

I was perusing on my phone and not computer, so I did not grab the link, my bad everyone who also likes adorable things for their houses with great puns.

lmao that is clever for the NSYNC one.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 16, 2021, 10:48:32 PM ---
I have never tried the timer method.  I'm not sure if it would make me more productive or just make me feel stressed and under pressure.  I guess it's worth a shot next time I find myself focus failing.

What gets my butt in the chair is knowing what a good mood it puts me in when I have a productive writing day.  I love writing [fanfic] and the feeling I get from it.  I look forward to that, but the only way to get that feeling is to sit down and put words on the screen.  It helps when I am emotionally connected to the story and excited about what's coming up in it.

Thinking and daydreaming are definitely important parts of the process.  That's how you get that emotional connection and how you keep the excitement alive, even when you can't write.

--- End quote ---

I've tried it for cleaning, but not for writing. Or, not the pomodoro version. I guess I timed how long it took me to edit a chapter of PBox once to compare actual writing time with dicking around. I have not tried that for brand new writing on a PNecklace chapter yet, so perhaps it's something to explore.

I agree with you, it feels great to have a productive writing day and it's motivating to keep the productivity going. Wanting to write the story and interact with the characters always gets me excited about continuing to write. I don't know that I would do two NaNos for anything but a PBox&Co story. I think back when their rules were stricter and fanfic was a bit taboo, let alone working on a partially started project, PBox was the only other one where I had an even remotely higher word count. So, I guess I'm here for my little demon buddies, lol.

I love the days where I have enough of something to write myself a little note about it for later, even if it's not a full scene. Then sometimes it does turn into a full scene with fresh eyes. :)

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on April 16, 2021, 10:57:23 PM ---lol! I think I missed that when it was for sale, alas.

--- End quote ---

They have a new stemless one on their site now: https://store.backstreetboys.com/collections/accessories/products/pink-i-wine-it-that-way-wine-glass  The one I have is from last year; it has a stem and white writing, but is the same design otherwise.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on April 16, 2021, 10:57:23 PM ---I get that. I'm definitely done with my coffee within 30-40 minutes every day, an hour at most. I wish I could get more into tea because I like the idea of sipping hot drinks all day on principle, but coffee is just easier to make, tastes better, and has more caffeine.

One of my roommates was a more leisure sipper, so for Christmas I got her one of those coffee mug warmers, she absolutely adored it. Could be the solution to your mug problem.

--- End quote ---

I'm not a tea drinker either.  Only once in awhile when I'm sick will I drink tea.

I have a mug warmer, but I don't use it very often - just one more thing I have to find a place to plug in.  I should get a USB or battery-powered one.  But on the weekend, I just make a bigger cup of coffee and put it in an insulated tumbler so it stays warm for hours.  I like the ones with straws for iced coffee.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on April 16, 2021, 11:05:34 PM ---I love the days where I have enough of something to write myself a little note about it for later, even if it's not a full scene. Then sometimes it does turn into a full scene with fresh eyes. :)

--- End quote ---

Absolutely!  Days like this where I'm too tired to write much, I can still think about it as I'm lying in bed, and sometimes that helps me wake up with new ideas and inspiration.

RokofAges75:
Wow, the Kevin & Nick story trend is going strong!  Three out of the four stories on the Most Recent page have Kevin and Nick on the banner.  (One of the banners is also ginormous - not sure if that's something you still care to moderate or not, Mare.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version