Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)

<< < (104/149) > >>

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 03, 2021, 08:08:34 PM ---Maybe that's it, the fantasy world of fanfic. I looked and there is not a separate category for Justin Timberlake, so I guess I'm a little surprised there's not more NSYNC fanfics, just for Justin stuff.

I guess I pointed it out more as a "huh, why don't we crossover as much as they do" type thing.

--- End quote ---

I'm surprised there's not a separate JT category, since he's been a solo artist for way longer than he was in NSYNC.

There used to be a lot more BSB/NSYNC crossovers back in the day, but I guess we as a fandom have moved on from that.  Random BSB crossovers with other things still pop up now and then, but I guess it's never really been a big thing for us.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 03, 2021, 08:08:34 PM ---I sure did and was relieved that was not the song my Pre-Ks were into! Though part of me was like, "Well, sure, start them young on the path to darkness," lol.

--- End quote ---

Hehe, that's why I like teaching older kids.  They love the dark stuff!

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 03, 2021, 08:08:34 PM ---Maybe there's someone else out there like me who got back into it over 2020, but it's not far enough along yet that they think they're ready to post again. I keep hoping to see additional familiar faces who will join our shenanigans.

--- End quote ---

A few people came to check in when quarantine started last year, but they didn't stay.  Why do they always leave us?! *sobs*

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 03, 2021, 08:08:34 PM ---I'm kind of anti-bad stuff happening to kids in general, but definitely BSB kids and most of that is because I'd rather not write about them at all. I guess, unless it was Nick in his backstory. He can continue to be the owner of so much baggage.

--- End quote ---

I tend to use kids, real or fake, as plot devices more than anything.  Need to break up a Backstreet Boy's marriage or make him lose his faith in God?  Kill a kid!  I don't enjoy doing it, but sometimes it's a necessary evil.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 03, 2021, 08:08:34 PM ---Was a mother even part of it at all, even if she wasn't dating out there? lol

--- End quote ---

Yeah, the mother part was legit, just not the dating part LOL.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 03, 2021, 08:08:34 PM ---I'm trying to not think about it too hard, but it feels like my immediate plans post-PNecklace will be Snail, which I don't know how 1,000 Ways works over there if it's a separate story or just a chapter (it's just a chapter here yeah?)... And then I may lean toward a short comedy/dramady of some sort. Or just go for broke and start writing PDemons. One of the two. Nick is Brian's guardian angel feels a little too serious to tackle right this second and my gut says to finish off PBox&Co before going back to Gobosei, but who knows, maybe I'll want a bigger PBox&Co break than I'm thinking. But as I said, I'm trying not to think about it too hard because I still have 12.5 chapters to go!

Speaking of, I'm up to 1,344 words today so far! I may finish another chapter today! :o

--- End quote ---

1000 Ways is a collection over there, which means everyone who wants to can post their deaths as individual stories and then add them to the collection to tie them all together.  Only a small percentage of the AC deaths are cross-posted there.  https://archiveofourown.org/users/RokofAges75/collections  Here each one is a chapter in the round robin story.

It's nice you have so many options to choose from!  Wait and see how you feel when you're done  (or almost done) with PNecklace.

Wow, over 1000 words on a weeknight!  Good for you!  I've written a few hundred so far today.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 03, 2021, 09:19:03 PM ---I'm surprised there's not a separate JT category, since he's been a solo artist for way longer than he was in NSYNC.

There used to be a lot more BSB/NSYNC crossovers back in the day, but I guess we as a fandom have moved on from that.  Random BSB crossovers with other things still pop up now and then, but I guess it's never really been a big thing for us.
--- End quote ---

I was too. I even went to look into the "real people and celebrities" section to see if he was listed there. He was not.

I think there comes a point when you have to stop writing about the other band that's been broken up for decades if yours is not broken up. (I'll let you know when that is for me. Meanwhile, I will continue to write my villains as NSYNC and other boybands in name only, lol)

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 03, 2021, 09:19:03 PM ---Hehe, that's why I like teaching older kids.  They love the dark stuff!
--- End quote ---

I guess this year I have some second and third graders I could convert, lol. I have a month left to teach them my ways.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 03, 2021, 09:19:03 PM ---A few people came to check in when quarantine started last year, but they didn't stay.  Why do they always leave us?! *sobs*
--- End quote ---

So you're saying I've made a mistake and should have just popped in and left? Oh well, I'm still writing and I've carved out a nice cushy place on Wednesdays, I think I'll stay, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 03, 2021, 09:19:03 PM ---I tend to use kids, real or fake, as plot devices more than anything.  Need to break up a Backstreet Boy's marriage or make him lose his faith in God?  Kill a kid!  I don't enjoy doing it, but sometimes it's a necessary evil.
--- End quote ---

Part of me finds it funny and part of me finds it horrifying that the easiest way to break up a marriage is to kill a kid... lol. I see you writing "a Backtreet Boy" and I'm just reading "Brian."

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 03, 2021, 09:19:03 PM ---Yeah, the mother part was legit, just not the dating part LOL.
--- End quote ---

You should let that mother date! Mothers deserve a good time too! Especially if she's out there dating Hot Mess Nick.  :D

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 03, 2021, 09:19:03 PM ---1000 Ways is a collection over there, which means everyone who wants to can post their deaths as individual stories and then add them to the collection to tie them all together.  Only a small percentage of the AC deaths are cross-posted there.  https://archiveofourown.org/users/RokofAges75/collections  Here each one is a chapter in the round robin story.
--- End quote ---

Helpful! I will probably request help again when the time comes to actually post the thing, lol. Some of those titles... too funny.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 03, 2021, 09:19:03 PM ---It's nice you have so many options to choose from!  Wait and see how you feel when you're done  (or almost done) with PNecklace.

Wow, over 1000 words on a weeknight!  Good for you!  I've written a few hundred so far today.

--- End quote ---

I have a decade of fanfic writing to catch up on, lol. As I said, I'm trying not to think about it too much, just putting it out there in the universe, though.

I know! At this rate, I'll be done in a week and half! That seems like some severe wishful thinking though. I think it's because it's been raining all day. I never want to do much of anything productive when it rains... except write a ridiculous amount, apparently.

A few hundred is great! I hope this chapter where Howie gets some time to shine goes great! (I am only basing this off of the "Howie said" from yesterday.)

Here's a fun question for the day:

Anyone have any non-writing goals this month?

And have we talked about external factors that make for a good writing day? (Not including inspiration or time.)

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 03, 2021, 09:44:07 PM ---I think there comes a point when you have to stop writing about the other band that's been broken up for decades if yours is not broken up. (I'll let you know when that is for me. Meanwhile, I will continue to write my villains as NSYNC and other boybands in name only, lol)

--- End quote ---

LOL!  I will keep writing them in 00Carter if we ever continue that.  Otherwise, I think my days of writing NSYNC as villains are mostly over.  (I added the "mostly" when I remembered I killed Lance off in a story just last year.  But he was actually being helpful, not a villain.  I still made fun of him.)

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 03, 2021, 09:44:07 PM ---So you're saying I've made a mistake and should have just popped in and left? Oh well, I'm still writing and I've carved out a nice cushy place on Wednesdays, I think I'll stay, lol.

--- End quote ---

Not at all!  I'm glad you stayed!  But then, you've never been one to follow the trend.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 03, 2021, 09:44:07 PM ---Part of me finds it funny and part of me finds it horrifying that the easiest way to break up a marriage is to kill a kid... lol. I see you writing "a Backtreet Boy" and I'm just reading "Brian."

--- End quote ---

LOL Not just Brian!  I've done it to Nick and Howie too.  (Technically, Howie's kid didn't die, just contracted an incurable illness.)

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 03, 2021, 09:44:07 PM ---You should let that mother date! Mothers deserve a good time too! Especially if she's out there dating Hot Mess Nick.  :D

--- End quote ---

It's Kevin's mom, so maybe she should date!  But not Hot Mess Nick. LOL

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 03, 2021, 09:44:07 PM ---I know! At this rate, I'll be done in a week and half! That seems like some severe wishful thinking though. I think it's because it's been raining all day. I never want to do much of anything productive when it rains... except write a ridiculous amount, apparently.

A few hundred is great! I hope this chapter where Howie gets some time to shine goes great! (I am only basing this off of the "Howie said" from yesterday.)

--- End quote ---

Wow, you're on a roll!  Rainy days really are perfect for writing.

LOL If Howie having a few lines of dialogue equates him shining, then yes!  It's going great!  Actually, I'm probably a few paragraphs away from finishing this chapter, which is almost 5000 words long now... so I guess that means it is going well!

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 03, 2021, 09:44:07 PM ---Here's a fun question for the day:

Anyone have any non-writing goals this month?

And have we talked about external factors that make for a good writing day? (Not including inspiration or time.)

--- End quote ---

My only non-writing goal is to make it to the end of the school year!  I actually can't complain; for as crazy as this year could have been, it hasn't been bad at all.  I was blessed with an amazing class to teach through the pandemic.

As for external factors that make for a good writing day...
- no work or planned social activities (but I guess that would also fall under the category of "time")
- bad weather (rainy days are the best!)
- caffeine (plenty of coffee and diet soda)

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 03, 2021, 10:05:14 PM ---LOL!  I will keep writing them in 00Carter if we ever continue that.  Otherwise, I think my days of writing NSYNC as villains are mostly over.  (I added the "mostly" when I remembered I killed Lance off in a story just last year.  But he was actually being helpful, not a villain.  I still made fun of him.)
--- End quote ---

I'm still down. I need some comedy to offset the constant dark drama that is PBox&Co and secret agent Nick really writes itself. Y'all should add me back in the collaborator list on that at some point, especially if we do continue it.

Aw, poor helpful Lance. He probably didn't deserve to die, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 03, 2021, 10:05:14 PM ---Not at all!  I'm glad you stayed!  But then, you've never been one to follow the trend.
--- End quote ---

Hooray! I am too, I was joking, lol. And apparently I'm AJ? I have never been AJ before... I can't think of any dirty jokes right now; I'm not a very good AJ, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 03, 2021, 10:05:14 PM ---LOL Not just Brian!  I've done it to Nick and Howie too.  (Technically, Howie's kid didn't die, just contracted an incurable illness.)
--- End quote ---

"Died some time in the future off screen" is still dying, Julie.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 03, 2021, 10:05:14 PM ---It's Kevin's mom, so maybe she should date!  But not Hot Mess Nick. LOL
--- End quote ---

Kevin would put up with that for about two seconds. I can't imagine any of them dating each others' family, although didn't Nick date one of Howie's sisters for a while? Or cousin or something?

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 03, 2021, 10:05:14 PM ---Wow, you're on a roll!  Rainy days really are perfect for writing.
--- End quote ---

I think it's because it feels like there's no reason to be anywhere besides home?

Tomorrow is a later day for me, so if the writing keeps going well, I might stay up and see what happens. It's always easy when Nick and Brian get to joke at each other. Some day I should be really mean to Nick and split them up. Meanwhile, they make me laugh:

Brian put his hand on Nick’s shoulder. “Several things are different, but several things are the same, huh?”

“They sure are, overly friendly stranger who likes to follow others for days.” Nick glanced up at Brian, then a smirk crossed his face.

Brian wiped a fake tear from his eye. “I just knew we were destined to become wonderful friends, troubled and loud quick-tempered boy!”

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 03, 2021, 10:05:14 PM ---LOL If Howie having a few lines of dialogue equates him shining, then yes!  It's going great!  Actually, I'm probably a few paragraphs away from finishing this chapter, which is almost 5000 words long now... so I guess that means it is going well!
--- End quote ---

You said he was "just kind of there," so if he has a speaking role, that's shining, lol. You're so close! And wow, 5,000 words! Great work! That is a decent chapter for montage land. I don't know if I want to encourage you to finish it or tell you to leave it for tomorrow so you can get back into the groove sooner.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 03, 2021, 10:05:14 PM ---My only non-writing goal is to make it to the end of the school year!  I actually can't complain; for as crazy as this year could have been, it hasn't been bad at all.  I was blessed with an amazing class to teach through the pandemic.

As for external factors that make for a good writing day...
- no work or planned social activities (but I guess that would also fall under the category of "time")
- bad weather (rainy days are the best!)
- caffeine (plenty of coffee and diet soda)

--- End quote ---

Aw, glad your kiddos have been great. I think that's mine too. Make it through this crazy school year and get these kids into summer.

I agree with bad weather and caffeine. I'm also usually pretty productive when the hubs is on a work trip, like now. Rain and hubs being gone means I have lots of time to myself and no where to be, lol. Maybe tomorrow I'll wake up early, drink some coffee, and write another chapter! (That would be insane.) Apparently all I needed was to get through that last little arc I was writing to hit the home stretch, although barely anything at the end was begging to be written ahead of time (except the end end, lol).

A clean house helps too, I think. Then there's really nothing else to do.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 03, 2021, 10:31:09 PM ---I'm still down. I need some comedy to offset the constant dark drama that is PBox&Co and secret agent Nick really writes itself. Y'all should add me back in the collaborator list on that at some point, especially if we do continue it.

Aw, poor helpful Lance. He probably didn't deserve to die, lol.

--- End quote ---

I am too!  Maybe we can get Rose back on board this summer.  I just added you back to the co-author list.

No, he didn't, but it was worth it for the joke I got out of it LOL.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 03, 2021, 10:31:09 PM ---"Died some time in the future off screen" is still dying, Julie.

--- End quote ---

Every man dies.  Not every man really lives.

No, in my mind, Lil Plot Device Dorough went on to live a long and full life with the help of medication.  Yeah science!

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 03, 2021, 10:31:09 PM ---Kevin would put up with that for about two seconds. I can't imagine any of them dating each others' family, although didn't Nick date one of Howie's sisters for a while? Or cousin or something?

--- End quote ---

LOL There's a new pairing for AO3... Nick/Kevin's mom.  I bet that's never been done!  Howie's sisters are older than him, so I doubt any of them ever dated Nick, but maybe a cousin or niece or something?  I don't know.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 03, 2021, 10:31:09 PM ---I think it's because it feels like there's no reason to be anywhere besides home?

--- End quote ---

Yep, that's exactly it.  If it's raining, I can't do yard work, can't go out for a walk, can't go hang out at my friend's pool, etc.  Perfect excuse to stay home, stay in, and write!

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 03, 2021, 10:31:09 PM ---Tomorrow is a later day for me, so if the writing keeps going well, I might stay up and see what happens. It's always easy when Nick and Brian get to joke at each other. Some day I should be really mean to Nick and split them up. Meanwhile, they make me laugh:

Brian put his hand on Nick’s shoulder. “Several things are different, but several things are the same, huh?”

“They sure are, overly friendly stranger who likes to follow others for days.” Nick glanced up at Brian, then a smirk crossed his face.

Brian wiped a fake tear from his eye. “I just knew we were destined to become wonderful friends, troubled and loud quick-tempered boy!”

--- End quote ---

Aww, Frick and Frack cuteness!  I hope your writing went well so you could stay up late last night!

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 03, 2021, 10:31:09 PM ---You said he was "just kind of there," so if he has a speaking role, that's shining, lol. You're so close! And wow, 5,000 words! Great work! That is a decent chapter for montage land. I don't know if I want to encourage you to finish it or tell you to leave it for tomorrow so you can get back into the groove sooner.

--- End quote ---

I ended up with a decent word count for a weeknight (600 something) last night and then wrote 256 words while getting ready this morning!  The more that becomes a part of my daily routine, the better I do with it.  I haven't written much more tonight, but I did finish my chapter!  It ended up being 5,496 words!  I think that's my longest chapter so far in this story.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 03, 2021, 10:31:09 PM ---I agree with bad weather and caffeine. I'm also usually pretty productive when the hubs is on a work trip, like now. Rain and hubs being gone means I have lots of time to myself and no where to be, lol. Maybe tomorrow I'll wake up early, drink some coffee, and write another chapter! (That would be insane.) Apparently all I needed was to get through that last little arc I was writing to hit the home stretch, although barely anything at the end was begging to be written ahead of time (except the end end, lol).

A clean house helps too, I think. Then there's really nothing else to do.

--- End quote ---

Yes!  I agree about the clean house, and if I didn't live alone, I would definitely agree about the husband or roommates being gone.  I would have a hard time with anyone else in the house.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version