Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)

<< < (118/149) > >>

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 17, 2021, 08:34:56 PM ---Julie, how do you get productive post nap? I was exhausted and took a nap this evening, then tried to get back into writing and made myself a hot chocolate and it's going, but it's going so slowly. Like I sit and contemplate each line, then I type it, then I think about it, then repeat. But then I feel like if I hadn't taken a nap, I wouldn't be typing at all, I would just be a zombie. Are you really productive post nap usually or also kind of ruminating?

--- End quote ---

On a weeknight, I'm exactly like you - not tired anymore, but also not really productive.  My writing is going the same way as yours tonight.  On a weekend, I can drink caffeine after a nap, and then it usually goes better.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 17, 2021, 08:52:22 PM ---I can definitely see that too.  A lot of my Scenes involve bad things happening to the Boys, so there's always that fear of, "What are the readers going to think about this?"  I have learned by now that readers generally enjoy bad things happening to the Boys, just as we enjoy making them happen, so I really shouldn't worry about their reaction, but I still get that nervous feeling when I post a big part like the choppage or the gunshot.  When it's a happy moment, like Nick and Claire finally getting back together, then I look forward to the reaction, but I'm also happy for the characters.
--- End quote ---

There's just something cathartic about experiencing something bad through fiction. I'm not really sure what it is... the emotional roller coaster, seeing what-ifs, I don't know. Like you hate it, but it's still enjoyable in that way... As I've mentioned, my brain is not braining tonight, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 17, 2021, 08:52:22 PM ---LOL This is like me renewing my Hulu last year as a pandemic gift to myself, only to use it to watch old episodes of ER instead of catching up on The Handmaid's Tale like I intended to.  And I own all 15 seasons of ER on DVD... but damn, it's so much easier to just click through Hulu then get off the couch to change the DVD LOL.
--- End quote ---

I watch Gilmore Girls on Netflix all the time and also own it on DVD. I have also watched it on that UP TV channel with commercials. It's so much easier to click through Hulu. Or let it do its thing until it asks if you're still watching, lol. Meanwhile, I'm only halfway through Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 17, 2021, 08:52:22 PM ---Oh no, definitely not.  I didn't even read Signal to Noise in one sitting.  But I guess I got what I wanted out of them because my writing went well.  I tend to read less when the writing's going well and more when it isn't.  I guess that's why I haven't read very much in the last year.
--- End quote ---

That's how I'm feeling. I feel like I should spend some more time reading anything... but I've been a writing machine.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 17, 2021, 08:52:22 PM ---Yeah, it is horrifying!  And after Nick tweeted that video out, there were fans going, "I wanna be the frog to your chimp!"  Effed up.  I think that was during your hiatus, 2011 or so.
--- End quote ---

OMG! Y'all! Why?! My google search said it was from 2007... why was Nick posting it in 2011? Unless there was more than one. Why was Nick sharing that? 2011 Nick, were you okay? lol

Ugh, now I feel so sad about my cute little scene of PBox Nick seeing a frog for the first time and being fascinated. And he doesn't say anything, so now will people be like, "Nick wants to have sex with that frog." Sigh... I unintentionall y included something weird.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 17, 2021, 08:52:22 PM ---Plans with friends are fun, but do interfere with writing.  As an introvert, I sometimes have to force myself to break out of the writing bubble and be social because I would rather just stay home and write.  But I usually end up having fun when I do go out with friends.  I hope you enjoyed the birthday lunch!  And even if you didn't write as much as you thought you should, at least you finished a chapter!  That is definitely an accomplishment .

--- End quote ---

It was really fun! It was just a steakhouse lunch instead of the brunch we'd discussed and there was a lack of eggs in my life, lol. It was good to see all of them, just less productive on the writing front.

And now I'm dragging through my next chapter, as I mentioned.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 17, 2021, 08:54:13 PM ---On a weeknight, I'm exactly like you - not tired anymore, but also not really productive.  My writing is going the same way as yours tonight.  On a weekend, I can drink caffeine after a nap, and then it usually goes better.

--- End quote ---

You know, I thought about making a coffee, but then I would never sleep tonight and have the same problem tomorrow, lol. At least our streaks are alive and well. :)

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 17, 2021, 09:12:09 PM ---There's just something cathartic about experiencing something bad through fiction. I'm not really sure what it is... the emotional roller coaster, seeing what-ifs, I don't know. Like you hate it, but it's still enjoyable in that way... As I've mentioned, my brain is not braining tonight, lol.

--- End quote ---

Absolutely!  The catharsis is why we enjoy a good tearjerker.  It's not like we're wishing for anything bad to happen to the Boys; they just happen to be the characters in a piece of fiction.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 17, 2021, 09:12:09 PM ---OMG! Y'all! Why?! My google search said it was from 2007... why was Nick posting it in 2011? Unless there was more than one. Why was Nick sharing that? 2011 Nick, were you okay? lol

Ugh, now I feel so sad about my cute little scene of PBox Nick seeing a frog for the first time and being fascinated. And he doesn't say anything, so now will people be like, "Nick wants to have sex with that frog." Sigh... I unintentionall y included something weird.

--- End quote ---

It probably was from 2007 and Nick was late to the party LOL.  I almost forgot about that until I saw Melissa Schuman had brought it up of an example of how Nick thought rape was "funny."  ::)

Aww, no, I'm sure your scene isn't weird.  My brain is just weird for making that connection from like ten years ago LOL.  Although what you just wrote about Nick wanting to have sex with that frog reminds me of The Book of Mormon LOL (the musical, not the actual book).  Magical AIDS frog, anyone?

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 17, 2021, 09:32:40 PM ---Absolutely!  The catharsis is why we enjoy a good tearjerker.  It's not like we're wishing for anything bad to happen to the Boys; they just happen to be the characters in a piece of fiction.
--- End quote ---

And then how they band together and overcome it. That's the best part of that.

I mean we've all done some pretty terrible stuff to them... in fiction, lol. But we've discussed this ad naseum.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 17, 2021, 09:32:40 PM ---It probably was from 2007 and Nick was late to the party LOL.  I almost forgot about that until I saw Melissa Schuman had brought it up of an example of how Nick thought rape was "funny."  ::)

Aww, no, I'm sure your scene isn't weird.  My brain is just weird for making that connection from like ten years ago LOL.  Although what you just wrote about Nick wanting to have sex with that frog reminds me of The Book of Mormon LOL (the musical, not the actual book).  Magical AIDS frog, anyone?

--- End quote ---

2007 Nick had better things to do than hang out on fledgling YouTube, clearly, lol. I feel like it was less that and more "animals doing weird stuff," but can't say for certain.

LOL! Magical AIDS frogs. That musical is great. I'm thinking you must keep this thought about Nick and frogs in the same box in your brain as Book of Mormon, which I imagine you access with some regularity. Although, I'm sure any of us mention anything and we try to think of time when we've experienced that before. So I guess... I'm more surprised that "Nick and a frog" is something that has a connection.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 17, 2021, 09:43:37 PM ---2007 Nick had better things to do than hang out on fledgling YouTube, clearly, lol. I feel like it was less that and more "animals doing weird stuff," but can't say for certain.

LOL! Magical AIDS frogs. That musical is great. I'm thinking you must keep this thought about Nick and frogs in the same box in your brain as Book of Mormon, which I imagine you access with some regularity. Although, I'm sure any of us mention anything and we try to think of time when we've experienced that before. So I guess... I'm more surprised that "Nick and a frog" is something that has a connection.

--- End quote ---

I'm sure that was it - animals doing weird stuff.  It's less funny and more... interesting?  Morbidly fascinating?  WTF-worthy?  He probably came across it and thought, "I'm gonna share this and make everyone else feel awkward too."

I definitely have a part in my brain that can make a South Park reference for just about anything - and I consider The Book of Mormon (and Team America and everything else Matt and Trey have made) an extension of that part.  They're both random and prolific enough that you can connect almost anything to their work - it's like Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version