Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)

<< < (132/149) > >>

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 29, 2021, 10:18:10 PM ---Same! Backdating PBox will probably be my next one as nothing else is complete enough to cross post for fun, or it is, but it's so old that I just can't bring myself to do it, lol. It's easy enough to copy and paste when you're multi-tasking. Actually writing would make you less available for your students... or your boss.

Same! The version history has saved me. Equally great is that you can name the versions in case you want to track specific things too. It helps me quickly find when I wrote specific chapters. Yeah same. The oldest version of PBox I have definitely says it's from 2012 or something like that. Clearly not. Open office is a savior for that. I'm glad it exists.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, same.  There's no point in me posting anything older than Broken because it's not representative of my writing style anymore.  I would hate for someone to click on one of those old stories, having never read anything else I've written, and judge me based on that LOL.

Yeah, Open Office is a godsend.  The one problem I have with Google is that some of my longer stories won't upload as one file, so I had to split them up into multiple files.  Open Office will still open the original documents with the whole story.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 29, 2021, 10:18:10 PM ---You're probably right on the age, but stop selling yourself short. Choppage is just as interesting as anal sex, lol.

See, I see you calling her Leah, but I'm pretty sure you mean Willaford, lol. While accurate, I feel like none of us read a Backstreet Boy romance to see them with an unlikable love interest. I think that's a good thing to want to change, especially since the cancer was the important part and the romance was not... yet.

--- End quote ---

LMAO!  I would argue that choppage is way more interesting than anal sex, but that's just me.  I would rather read about fic Nick being tortured than taking it up the ass.

Haha, good one!  There's a name I haven't heard in a long time.  I think part of the reason I gave him such an unlikable love interest was to make Claire feel more like a breath of fresh air when she came along later in the story.  Another example of us using fanfic to compensate for Nick's poor taste in women in real life.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 29, 2021, 10:18:10 PM ---That makes sense why you would hoard then if you were trying to work on Guilty Roads. No fake love interest and getting to the point, good. That's a clear testament to you learning and growing as an author. In the beginning, did it feel like you started it too close to finishing BMS?

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I guess that's the fun of writing a similar storyline twice - Curtain Call gave me the opportunity to learn from and improve upon Broken.  I love Broken in all its cheesy, angsty, melodramatic glory, but Curtain Call is clearly better-written and more mature.

It had been about two and a half years since I finished BMS, but since I hadn't actually finished a solo novel since then, yeah, I felt weird starting another Nick cancer story.  But it was one of those ideas that just wouldn't leave me alone, so I went for it.  It was the right decision.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 29, 2021, 10:18:10 PM ---Aw, what a cute full-circle thing. I always wanted to finish PBox in fall too, since that's when I had started writing it originally, I think. So I guess, how fitting that I hit my stride for PNecklace in November as well. Think I can finish the third one by November? lol

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it worked out perfectly!

Assuming you finish PNecklace in the next month or so, will you post the end in the fall?  Didn't you say you had updates ready through November?  I don't know that you'll finish the third story by this November, but maybe next November.  I guess it depends on how long it is and how fast you write!  You've been so prolific this year, anything is possible!

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 29, 2021, 10:18:10 PM ---If you get started on a new story quicker, do you stop hanging on to them or do you keep your weekly update schedule through the end of the novel?

--- End quote ---

It hasn't happened yet where I've gotten started on a new story quicker; I'm incredibly slow LOL.  I stuck with my weekly update schedule for the last two (Bethlehem and Heroic Measures).
 I started posting a chapter every few days once I finished AHTIM, but I didn't have anything ready to post right after it.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 29, 2021, 10:18:10 PM ---I appreciate that! Sorry for worrying you and missing our weekly "we want to be involved in our writing, but not in the actual writing it part" chat on Thursdays. I'm still here and still writing! Although, now that it's summer for you, does that tend to happen as much where you get burnt out by the end of the week?

--- End quote ---

No problem!  Glad you were just having fun with your real life friends!

No, give me a few days to get into my summer schedule, and I won't even know what day it is anymore LOL.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 29, 2021, 10:18:10 PM ---Maybe that's my "blah" feeling up here in the office... Hubs would be happy if I started meticulously going through it again. I'm choosing to ignore it by keeping it behind me and focusing on my happy desk, lol. It's good that you have multiple places that are more conducive to writing with desks, chairs, and computers. Do you have a desktop downstairs and upstairs, or just in the den?

--- End quote ---

It does feel good to organize, but it's such a chore.  I didn't want to waste one of my precious weekend days doing it until summer.  So just keep your back turned and focus on that happy desk LOL.

I just have a desktop computer downstairs in my den.  Otherwise I write on my Chromebook.  I do have a little desk to sit at in my writing room upstairs, along with a futon/chaise thing.  Once in a while I'll write in my living room or sit at the kitchen table with my Chromebook.  My best weekend morning writing usually happens when I make coffee and bring it back to bed.  I've found I write best when I'm comfortable, and my bed is the most comfortable place.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 29, 2021, 10:18:10 PM ---Nope. The people watching halved after his initial hellos to people commenting in the chat, but you'll be glad to know he's figured out how to add people to his instagram lives, lol. He said once he figured out his coding, he'd play video games on twitch again. He should sing live; I can't imagine everyone watching him actually wants to watch him play video games. Do more fan interactive things, Nick! And yes, clearly discussing fanfic here is a better thing to do than listen to a pitch for cryptocurrency or watch someone play video games, lol.

--- End quote ---

I appreciate him going live because it's more than the other guys give us, and sometimes it's fun to just watch him do whatever, but other times I'm just not in the mood.  Especially when he's pitching something I don't understand LOL.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 29, 2021, 10:18:10 PM ---I showered! I wrote! I finished a new chapter! Six left to go!

--- End quote ---

Yay!!

I'm almost done with my chapter too.  I would be done by now, but I decided to take a break from writing and finish backdating Undead first.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 29, 2021, 10:18:10 PM ---Definitely agree, I think it would be fun to try a couple of things. They need some beef, lol; I'll figure it out. I know, I feel like I'm betraying Team Dark by saying it doesn't need to be grimdark, lol. Although, I call PBox&Co "grimdark" and by definition it's not, it's the opposite. Grimdark really means there's no hope now nor any chance of hope ever, whereas one of the major themes of PBox is that there's always hope. I don't think I could write a true grimdark story, to be honest.

--- End quote ---

I like darkness, but yes, I agree about grimdark.  I don't think I could ever write a true grimdark story either, nor would I necessarily want to read one - at least not a whole novel.  I'm okay with sad endings if they make sense, but there needs to be some light or hope or humor somewhere in the story; it can't all be dark and depressing.  My darkest stories tend to be the ones with happy endings; I'm a big fan of the "Earn your happy ending" trope.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 29, 2021, 10:18:10 PM ---You should definitely read it at some point. Hamlet's my favorite Shakespeare tragedy (Twelfth Night is the best one overall). I feel like Hamlet's probably a lot more introspective and over-analyzing than Nick or Simba though, lol.

Fear is a powerful emotion. Is there a way to amp up the feeling of fear a little more prior to that and still keep the parts you like? I could see Nick staying somewhere longer than he would want to because of fear as a driving force. Maybe he tries to leave and something happens that stops him. I get not wanting to find an ending just finish it when you don't feel like it's ready to end. You're right, sometimes it's better to appreciate what's there and what it felt like writing it the first time.

Haha, how did it feel to turn it into an April Fool's joke? And he can't always die of cancer. Sometimes other things have to kill him, lol.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I do have a scene where he tries to leave and something happens that scares him into staying longer.  So maybe it is believable enough.  I dunno.  Part of the reason I set it in 1999 was so Nick was still a teenager, which I thought would help explain the poor decisions he makes LOL.  I do have a pretty solid plan for the rest of the story with some wiggle room to make adjustments, but just no inspiration.  I literally left off in the middle of a chapter that should have been fun to write (Halloween!), and every time I've opened the story in the last few years, I'm just like, "Meh," and close it again.  But if I actually go back and reread it from the beginning, I think it's a good story that's worth continuing.  I just keep hoping that one of these days, something will spark a fresh burst of inspiration.  Maybe I should try rereading the fanfic that inspired it, as well as Hamlet.  But not until I'm done with MBK because the last thing I want is to derail myself on that one again.

To be honest, it was not my favorite April Fool's joke.  I think that was the year I didn't come up with anything in advance and then had an "Oh shit!" moment on March 31 when I realized the next day was April Fool's Day and had to scramble to write something at the last minute.  Thankfully April 1 was a Saturday that year.  But I guess the fact that I was able to write a fake chapter for a story I hadn't updated in so long in less than 24 hours is impressive.

That's what 1000 Ways to Kill Nick Carter is for!  I don't think he's died of cancer once in that one yet LOL.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 29, 2021, 10:18:10 PM ---"Nick, where did you get that hoverboard? This is the wrong tour... Just... just don't do anything drastic to show off... Oh no..." lol Glad Nick can continue remaining uninjured with the concert scenes over.

--- End quote ---

LMAO!  This conversation reminds me of an unfinished story by one of my old favorite authors where Nick fell off the stage and got impaled on some kind of post in the first chapter, and that's how the others found out he was HIV-positive and had been hiding it from them.  The girl who wrote it, Jen, also wrote the very first fanfic I ever stumbled onto, which was about Brian falling in love with a blind girl (and then getting into a car accident and dying at the end, after impregnating her with twins).  Her stories were all full of diseases and injuries, and she was a Brian and Nick girl too.  The fact that her site was the first fanfic site I ever found, back when I didn't even know what fanfic was, had to be some sort of fate at work.  I found someone who wrote the exact kind of stories I was already reading in the form of Lurlene McDaniel books, except hers were about the Backstreet Boys.  It was meant to be.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 29, 2021, 10:18:10 PM ---So true! What's the most self-indulgent thing you've written recently?

--- End quote ---

Probably "The Year Without a Pandaskunk," which I wrote last year.  I don't know if anyone even read it all the way through, but I thought it was hilarious.

What's the most self-indulgent thing you've ever written?

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 29, 2021, 10:18:10 PM ---It's because technology felt like it moved a little slower unless video game counsels were your thing. The Nokia brick didn't even exist back then, crazy enough! Like when did wifi become a thing? Kids today are so lucky that they don't have to listen to the dial-up sound.

You know I love a good loophole, lol. "Doesn't use technology, so I don't have to bother" is a great one.

Glad we finally condensed these into one long chat, lol.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it was so much easier to keep up back then!  Apparently Wi-fi was first released in 1997, but I don't think I had it until the 2010s.  I had a laptop in college in the early 2000s, but I think it still needed to be connected to the internet with a cord.  Then I didn't have a laptop for a long time because I lost everything when that one crashed and vowed never to buy another one.  By the time I eventually did get another laptop (and a Kindle Fire and a smartphone), Wi-fi was a thing.  I was still astonished to discover that the new desktop computer I got for Christmas could be connected to the internet via Wi-fi and didn't need an ethernet cord because my last desktop, which was 9 years old, definitely did LOL.

Aww, the nostalgia of listening to the dial-up internet sound!  I have played that sound for my students before while trying to explain what we had to go through to access the internet back in "the 1900s," as they call it.

LOL This took me over an hour to reply to!

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 12:02:16 AM ---Yeah, same.  There's no point in me posting anything older than Broken because it's not representative of my writing style anymore.  I would hate for someone to click on one of those old stories, having never read anything else I've written, and judge me based on that LOL.

Yeah, Open Office is a godsend.  The one problem I have with Google is that some of my longer stories won't upload as one file, so I had to split them up into multiple files.  Open Office will still open the original documents with the whole story.
--- End quote ---

I would die if someone read "The Orlando Story" now without knowing that I was like, why not, here's a really old story, we all started from somewhere. In 2006, it was one thing to post a story from 1999. It's totally different to post a story from 1999 in 2021, especially when people can read an equally old, and much better, PBox (although I did update it, so I guess that's not technically true). I was worried about being judged for it back then too, lol.

Yes! That is the only thing that annoys me about Google docs. It gets so laggy around 100 pages, I did have to split all of PBox into 5 parts and did the same with PNecklace.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 12:02:16 AM ---LMAO!  I would argue that choppage is way more interesting than anal sex, but that's just me.  I would rather read about fic Nick being tortured than taking it up the ass.

Haha, good one!  There's a name I haven't heard in a long time.  I think part of the reason I gave him such an unlikable love interest was to make Claire feel more like a breath of fresh air when she came along later in the story.  Another example of us using fanfic to compensate for Nick's poor taste in women in real life.
--- End quote ---

Same, but I didn't want to alienate the people who might enjoy both! Is it torture if it was medically necessary? I'm sure he thought so, but... I'm pretty sure doctors won't amputate unless they need to.

I was reading an article about one hit wonders from the late '90s/early '00s a few days ago and she was on there saying something to the effect of "My second single came out on September 11th and there's just no way to recover from that. No one would ever listen to it." And my first thought was, "Dang... People died and that's what you're worried about?!" Followed shortly by "Not sure it would have done any better if it came out on August 11th, but okay. You just weren't that great." But until that article, she was also someone I hadn't thought about in a long time.

Oh for sure, I get wanting to make a foil to Claire. I love doing that with characters. It's fun when they foil each other. I've said it before! We did our best!

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 12:02:16 AM ---Yeah, I guess that's the fun of writing a similar storyline twice - Curtain Call gave me the opportunity to learn from and improve upon Broken.  I love Broken in all its cheesy, angsty, melodramatic glory, but Curtain Call is clearly better-written and more mature.

It had been about two and a half years since I finished BMS, but since I hadn't actually finished a solo novel since then, yeah, I felt weird starting another Nick cancer story.  But it was one of those ideas that just wouldn't leave me alone, so I went for it.  It was the right decision.
--- End quote ---

You got a chance to learn what worked and what didn't after honing your craft for 300 or so chapters. I know you don't want to be known as the "Nick cancer author" necessarily, but I think you do it well. I say all this having not read Curtain Call, but if you say it's better, I fully trust your opinion and am glad you went for it. I think when an idea won't leave you alone, you just have to do it. Lightening inspiration must always be seized!

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 12:02:16 AM ---Yeah, it worked out perfectly!

Assuming you finish PNecklace in the next month or so, will you post the end in the fall?  Didn't you say you had updates ready through November?  I don't know that you'll finish the third story by this November, but maybe next November.  I guess it depends on how long it is and how fast you write!  You've been so prolific this year, anything is possible!
--- End quote ---

It would be around November when I finished posting it if I kept going at one chapter a week. I think whether I keep going one chapter per week or not depends on what I write next. If it's totally different from PBox&Co in that it's not as dark or tragic, I might post two stories concurrently and keep posting PNecklace until November when I'd be potentially far enough along on something else equally dark, lol. "Nick is genre saavy" feels like a quicker novel to write if that's next. PDemons or "Nick is Brian's guardian angel" or Gobosei does not. The point could come when I stop being prolific, so who knows! They weren't consecutive, but it's only taken me six months to write PNecklace so far. Could end up being seven, could end up being six and a half depending on how these last few chapters go.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 12:02:16 AM ---It hasn't happened yet where I've gotten started on a new story quicker; I'm incredibly slow LOL.  I stuck with my weekly update schedule for the last two (Bethlehem and Heroic Measures).

I started posting a chapter every few days once I finished AHTIM, but I didn't have anything ready to post right after it.
--- End quote ---

Slow, but dedicated and meticulous. Creates good stories. What made you decide to change AHTIM's update schedule to quicker?

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 12:02:16 AM ---No problem!  Glad you were just having fun with your real life friends!

No, give me a few days to get into my summer schedule, and I won't even know what day it is anymore LOL.
--- End quote ---

And not having fun, but doing the necessary task of house cleaning, lol. One is more fun. Here is fun too.

Just look at the little clock on your chromebook, it tells you! lol However, I hear Flurbsday is a great day of the week, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 12:02:16 AM ---It does feel good to organize, but it's such a chore.  I didn't want to waste one of my precious weekend days doing it until summer.  So just keep your back turned and focus on that happy desk LOL.

I just have a desktop computer downstairs in my den.  Otherwise I write on my Chromebook.  I do have a little desk to sit at in my writing room upstairs, along with a futon/chaise thing.  Once in a while I'll write in my living room or sit at the kitchen table with my Chromebook.  My best weekend morning writing usually happens when I make coffee and bring it back to bed.  I've found I write best when I'm comfortable, and my bed is the most comfortable place.
--- End quote ---

Don't have to convince me! Out of sight, out of mind! lol I'm waiting for a random day off too, maybe post-PNecklace. Maybe Monday. We'll see what writing feels like.

I've never been able to write in bed on a computer very well. I always write better at a desk or a table. Couch is hit or miss. I'm not sure why this is! I used to do school work on my bed when I didn't have a table in my first apartment, but in my second apartment, I did most of my work at coffee shops instead. Though I can't imagine writing a novel at a coffee shop, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 12:02:16 AM ---I appreciate him going live because it's more than the other guys give us, and sometimes it's fun to just watch him do whatever, but other times I'm just not in the mood.  Especially when he's pitching something I don't understand LOL.
--- End quote ---

Same, and since I'm not on twitch, I decided to give him a little love on Instagram so he keeps doing it. The pitch part was meh, but it was fun seeing him be really excited about it, so that's why I kept watching even though I don't care. That, and I've missed his voice since he's not in this arc. (What a weird thing to say, lol.)

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 12:02:16 AM ---Yay!!

I'm almost done with my chapter too.  I would be done by now, but I decided to take a break from writing and finish backdating Undead first.
--- End quote ---

And I got a start on the next chapter too! Though I accidentally started it in the wrong POV, but I'm since fixed that.

Yay! You're so close! And now you've backdated another story! Is that all of them?

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 12:02:16 AM ---I like darkness, but yes, I agree about grimdark.  I don't think I could ever write a true grimdark story either, nor would I necessarily want to read one - at least not a whole novel.  I'm okay with sad endings if they make sense, but there needs to be some light or hope or humor somewhere in the story; it can't all be dark and depressing.  My darkest stories tend to be the ones with happy endings; I'm a big fan of the "Earn your happy ending" trope.
--- End quote ---

I also like when the happy ending feels earned and I'm okay with sad endings. It has to fit the story. I don't know that I've ever written a longer story that was just happy with a happy ending. Did Team Fluffy ever say that they needed some dark or depressing or angsty things in their stories ever? I feel like we always say "dark, but with light moments" and I don't feel like Team Fluffy ever said the opposite.

How many of your stories would you say have happy endings versus sad endings?

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 12:02:16 AM ---Yeah, I do have a scene where he tries to leave and something happens that scares him into staying longer.  So maybe it is believable enough.  I dunno.  Part of the reason I set it in 1999 was so Nick was still a teenager, which I thought would help explain the poor decisions he makes LOL.  I do have a pretty solid plan for the rest of the story with some wiggle room to make adjustments, but just no inspiration.  I literally left off in the middle of a chapter that should have been fun to write (Halloween!), and every time I've opened the story in the last few years, I'm just like, "Meh," and close it again.  But if I actually go back and reread it from the beginning, I think it's a good story that's worth continuing.  I just keep hoping that one of these days, something will spark a fresh burst of inspiration.  Maybe I should try rereading the fanfic that inspired it, as well as Hamlet.  But not until I'm done with MBK because the last thing I want is to derail myself on that one again.

To be honest, it was not my favorite April Fool's joke.  I think that was the year I didn't come up with anything in advance and then had an "Oh shit!" moment on March 31 when I realized the next day was April Fool's Day and had to scramble to write something at the last minute.  Thankfully April 1 was a Saturday that year.  But I guess the fact that I was able to write a fake chapter for a story I hadn't updated in so long in less than 24 hours is impressive.

That's what 1000 Ways to Kill Nick Carter is for!  I don't think he's died of cancer once in that one yet LOL.
--- End quote ---

I'm pretty sure Nick continued to make dumb decisions well into his twenties, lol. But you're right, a teenager is more likely to make dumb decisions than an adult. When was that, 2010ish? He started getting it together by thirty. Aw... Nick loves Halloween. How do the Amish celebrate Halloween? Do they celebrate Halloween? I think that's a good idea. Reread the fanfic that inspired it, then reread it again or read Hamlet. See what happens. But yes, definitely finish MBK first!

That sounds stressful. I know how much you like to plan your April Fool's jokes. But a scrambled ending in 24 hours? That is impressive!

Pretty sure now that you've mentioned it, cancer has to be 1,000th way. Some day, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 12:02:16 AM ---LMAO!  This conversation reminds me of an unfinished story by one of my old favorite authors where Nick fell off the stage and got impaled on some kind of post in the first chapter, and that's how the others found out he was HIV-positive and had been hiding it from them.  The girl who wrote it, Jen, also wrote the very first fanfic I ever stumbled onto, which was about Brian falling in love with a blind girl (and then getting into a car accident and dying at the end, after impregnating her with twins).  Her stories were all full of diseases and injuries, and she was a Brian and Nick girl too.  The fact that her site was the first fanfic site I ever found, back when I didn't even know what fanfic was, had to be some sort of fate at work.  I found someone who wrote the exact kind of stories I was already reading in the form of Lurlene McDaniel books, except hers were about the Backstreet Boys.  It was meant to be.
--- End quote ---

This is the one thing PBox&Co misses, my ability to make ridiculous jokes at the right times. It gets a few, but they're much fewer and far between.

Poor Nick, falling off the stage, getting impaled, dramatically revealing to the others that he has a contagious and incurable disease. That's your kind of story for sure. It was meant to be! Do you think you would have started writing fanfics had it not been for finding Jen's site first?

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 12:02:16 AM ---Probably "The Year Without a Pandaskunk," which I wrote last year.  I don't know if anyone even read it all the way through, but I thought it was hilarious.

What's the most self-indulgent thing you've ever written?
--- End quote ---

I've been meaning to ask... What is a pandaskunk? Also, you should also write more humorous stories more often too. I feel like the world needs to hear more of our ridiculous jokes.

Hmmm... Probably Beta Sigma Beta. Really it was my plan to corner the BSB College AU market, lol. That or that silly "Welcome to Fan Fiction Avenue" story where you went to a store to buy Backstreet Boy robots for your fanfic characters, lol. I'm pretty sure "Fully functional Howies are on sale" was terrible joke in it, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 12:02:16 AM ---Yeah, it was so much easier to keep up back then!  Apparently Wi-fi was first released in 1997, but I don't think I had it until the 2010s.  I had a laptop in college in the early 2000s, but I think it still needed to be connected to the internet with a cord.  Then I didn't have a laptop for a long time because I lost everything when that one crashed and vowed never to buy another one.  By the time I eventually did get another laptop (and a Kindle Fire and a smartphone), Wi-fi was a thing.  I was still astonished to discover that the new desktop computer I got for Christmas could be connected to the internet via Wi-fi and didn't need an ethernet cord because my last desktop, which was 9 years old, definitely did LOL.

Aww, the nostalgia of listening to the dial-up internet sound!  I have played that sound for my students before while trying to explain what we had to go through to access the internet back in "the 1900s," as they call it.

LOL This took me over an hour to reply to!

--- End quote ---

Oh ethernet cords! We had wifi at my sorority house and the dorms, so it was definitely a full-fledged thing by 2006. I was grateful to not have to deal with cords anymore except to charge. I remember getting a touch screen phone in 2009 when they were newer and it always shut down when it was too cool. I'm glad that's not a problem anymore! But when I first got it, it was still a million dollars to accidentally press the internet button. Something I don't even think about these days. I think our house has ethernet outlets and it was built around the time I was graduating college. But I feel like houses now wouldn't? I don't know, does anyone use cords anymore?

I hate that they call it the 1900's. That makes me feel so old! lol

Same. I made an overzealous mistake. I apologize, lol.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 01:09:09 AM ---I would die if someone read "The Orlando Story" now without knowing that I was like, why not, here's a really old story, we all started from somewhere. In 2006, it was one thing to post a story from 1999. It's totally different to post a story from 1999 in 2021, especially when people can read an equally old, and much better, PBox (although I did update it, so I guess that's not technically true). I was worried about being judged for it back then too, lol.

--- End quote ---

LOL So true.

I noticed when I was backdating that you can date a story all the way back to 1950!  Can you imagine some old person typing up a fanfic they wrote back in 1950? LOL.  I sorted the BSB stories by date to see how old they go, and the oldest one is from 2000.  I didn't recognize any of the really old stories or authors, but they are mostly Nick romance and BSB/NSync slash.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 01:09:09 AM ---Same, but I didn't want to alienate the people who might enjoy both! Is it torture if it was medically necessary? I'm sure he thought so, but... I'm pretty sure doctors won't amputate unless they need to.

I was reading an article about one hit wonders from the late '90s/early '00s a few days ago and she was on there saying something to the effect of "My second single came out on September 11th and there's just no way to recover from that. No one would ever listen to it." And my first thought was, "Dang... People died and that's what you're worried about?!" Followed shortly by "Not sure it would have done any better if it came out on August 11th, but okay. You just weren't that great." But until that article, she was also someone I hadn't thought about in a long time.

Oh for sure, I get wanting to make a foil to Claire. I love doing that with characters. It's fun when they foil each other. I've said it before! We did our best!

--- End quote ---

No, it wasn't literally torture, but that's just the generic term I use for harming Nick in stories.  I guess the trope name would be "whump."  The amputation was justified though.

Ugh, Willa Ford is still awful.  What a weird thing to say.  Who would associate her song with 9/11, even if it did come out that day?  It's not like everyone would have heard it that day.  I don't even know what her second single was; I only remember "I Wanna Be Bad."

Yes, exactly!

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 01:09:09 AM ---You got a chance to learn what worked and what didn't after honing your craft for 300 or so chapters. I know you don't want to be known as the "Nick cancer author" necessarily, but I think you do it well. I say all this having not read Curtain Call, but if you say it's better, I fully trust your opinion and am glad you went for it. I think when an idea won't leave you alone, you just have to do it. Lightening inspiration must always be seized!

--- End quote ---

Thanks!  I don't mind being known for it, as long as people realize I write other stuff too.  But Broken and Curtain Call are the stories I'm best known for, at least on AC, and I'm fine with that.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 01:09:09 AM ---It would be around November when I finished posting it if I kept going at one chapter a week. I think whether I keep going one chapter per week or not depends on what I write next. If it's totally different from PBox&Co in that it's not as dark or tragic, I might post two stories concurrently and keep posting PNecklace until November when I'd be potentially far enough along on something else equally dark, lol. "Nick is genre saavy" feels like a quicker novel to write if that's next. PDemons or "Nick is Brian's guardian angel" or Gobosei does not. The point could come when I stop being prolific, so who knows! They weren't consecutive, but it's only taken me six months to write PNecklace so far. Could end up being seven, could end up being six and a half depending on how these last few chapters go.

--- End quote ---

That makes sense and sounds like a good plan.  I guess you'll figure out what your next project is in a few chapters!  I'm curious to find out if you choose something totally different or stick with dark and tragic.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 01:09:09 AM ---Slow, but dedicated and meticulous. Creates good stories. What made you decide to change AHTIM's update schedule to quicker?

--- End quote ---

Thanks!  I think I was just excited to post the ending and didn't see the point in leaving my readers hanging or keeping poor Nick in peril any longer than necessary.  That one was pretty intense, even for me.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 01:09:09 AM ---And I got a start on the next chapter too! Though I accidentally started it in the wrong POV, but I'm since fixed that.

Yay! You're so close! And now you've backdated another story! Is that all of them?

--- End quote ---

Wow, you really did have a productive day!  Oops to the wrong POV, but glad you were able to fix it.

I finished my chapter with Nick and the boys flying home from the tour - yay!!  I'll figure out how to start Kevin's next chapter tomorrow.

I did finish backdating, and yep, that's the last one.  So if I feel like it tomorrow, maybe I'll start posting SAMS.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 01:09:09 AM ---I also like when the happy ending feels earned and I'm okay with sad endings. It has to fit the story. I don't know that I've ever written a longer story that was just happy with a happy ending. Did Team Fluffy ever say that they needed some dark or depressing or angsty things in their stories ever? I feel like we always say "dark, but with light moments" and I don't feel like Team Fluffy ever said the opposite.

How many of your stories would you say have happy endings versus sad endings?

--- End quote ---

I definitely have never written a purely fluffy, 100% happy novel either.  Yuck LOL.  Even a fluffy story needs some kind of conflict.  It doesn't have to be dark, but the character should struggle in some way.

Despite my love of darkness (or maybe because of it), I lean towards earned happy ending.  I have probably twice as many happy endings as sad or bittersweet endings.  I am a big fan of the bittersweet ending, where maybe a major character dies, but you know the surviving characters are going to be okay.  I've only written a few endings that are total downers.  How about you?

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 01:09:09 AM ---I'm pretty sure Nick continued to make dumb decisions well into his twenties, lol. But you're right, a teenager is more likely to make dumb decisions than an adult. When was that, 2010ish? He started getting it together by thirty. Aw... Nick loves Halloween. How do the Amish celebrate Halloween? Do they celebrate Halloween? I think that's a good idea. Reread the fanfic that inspired it, then reread it again or read Hamlet. See what happens. But yes, definitely finish MBK first!

That sounds stressful. I know how much you like to plan your April Fool's jokes. But a scrambled ending in 24 hours? That is impressive!

Pretty sure now that you've mentioned it, cancer has to be 1,000th way. Some day, lol.

--- End quote ---

LOL Nick definitely continued to make bad decisions into his twenties - probably worse decisions than he made at 19.  He had pretty much gotten himself together by the end of 2008.  Yeah, I started Guilty Roads in 2010, so I needed to make him more immature.  It wouldn't have worked with him being 30 LOL.  Plus, Kevin is also a major part of the plot, and he wasn't in the group at the time. *kicks Kevin*

It's been a long time since I've done any Amish research, but I don't think they traditionally celebrate Halloween.  But another benefit to making Nick a teenager is that I could make some of the Amish characters he meets teenagers too, so "rumspringa" comes into play and they can celebrate Halloween English-style.

LOL If we make it to 1000 deaths, the last one should definitely be cancer.  That, or he dies peacefully in his sleep as an old man - something completely mundane, after all the crazy deaths he has endured.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 01:09:09 AM ---Poor Nick, falling off the stage, getting impaled, dramatically revealing to the others that he has a contagious and incurable disease. That's your kind of story for sure. It was meant to be! Do you think you would have started writing fanfics had it not been for finding Jen's site first?

--- End quote ---

I don't know.  I think if the first fanfic I'd ever found had been something like the one on AO3 where Brian and Kevin were fucking like rabbits as literal bunnies with long ears and fluffy tails, I would have been like, "WTF?!" and stayed far, far away from it.  Instead, I found one that was right up my alley and sought out more, which eventually led me to trying it myself.

Do you remember how you found out about fanfic or the first fanfic you read?

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 01:09:09 AM ---I've been meaning to ask... What is a pandaskunk? Also, you should also write more humorous stories more often too. I feel like the world needs to hear more of our ridiculous jokes.

--- End quote ---

In the words of Kevin, "Ah, the mystical pandaskunk!"  Pandaskunks are the strange, flying pandas with long, fluffy, skunk-like tails in the video for It's Christmas Time Again.  https://youtu.be/8Llx2shF_Eg?t=27  We made so much fun of that video around here and on Twitter when it came out.  I was home sick with the flu either the day it was released or later that week and decided to write a short Christmas story that would attempt to explain that video.  It started as a simple Rudolph parody and then went off the rails and turned into a whole trilogy.  It's very 00Carter-like in its humor, and I credit 00Carter for helping me hone my comedy writing skills.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 01:09:09 AM ---Hmmm... Probably Beta Sigma Beta. Really it was my plan to corner the BSB College AU market, lol. That or that silly "Welcome to Fan Fiction Avenue" story where you went to a store to buy Backstreet Boy robots for your fanfic characters, lol. I'm pretty sure "Fully functional Howies are on sale" was terrible joke in it, lol.

--- End quote ---

I still think Beta Sigma Beta was a great idea for a story - and a perfect one for you to write, especially at that time.  I just love the cleverness of Beta Sigma Beta as the name of the frat.  There really aren't too many BSB in college stories that I'm aware of.  Tracy wrote one, Finding Carter, but other than that, I can't think of any offhand.  I had an idea a long time ago about BSB Nick going to college, but it never even made it to outline stage.

LMAO at "fully functional Howies are on sale!"  Poor Howie.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 01:09:09 AM ---Oh ethernet cords! We had wifi at my sorority house and the dorms, so it was definitely a full-fledged thing by 2006. I was grateful to not have to deal with cords anymore except to charge. I remember getting a touch screen phone in 2009 when they were newer and it always shut down when it was too cool. I'm glad that's not a problem anymore! But when I first got it, it was still a million dollars to accidentally press the internet button. Something I don't even think about these days. I think our house has ethernet outlets and it was built around the time I was graduating college. But I feel like houses now wouldn't? I don't know, does anyone use cords anymore?

I hate that they call it the 1900's. That makes me feel so old! lol

Same. I made an overzealous mistake. I apologize, lol.

--- End quote ---

My modem/router still has an ethernet cord to connect it to the internet, but all my devices use Wi-fi.  LOL It's like landline phones - I have never had a landline phone since moving out of my parents' house.  The kids today don't even know how to use that kind of phone.  If they need to call home on our phones at school, a lot of them don't even understand that you have to pick up the receiver and then dial a number.  And yes... we were born in the 1900s.  So old! LOL  My student teacher this year was born in 1999, which made me feel really old.  And that means some of next year's student teachers will have been born in 2000!

LOL I will probably be going to bed soon.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 02:46:57 AM ---LOL So true.

I noticed when I was backdating that you can date a story all the way back to 1950!  Can you imagine some old person typing up a fanfic they wrote back in 1950? LOL.  I sorted the BSB stories by date to see how old they go, and the oldest one is from 2000.  I didn't recognize any of the really old stories or authors, but they are mostly Nick romance and BSB/NSync slash.
--- End quote ---

I don't know that it would be surprising that people might still writing fanfic that wrote fanfic then, but I would be surprised if they ever decided to type anything that old, yes. But maybe they did a long time ago and it's just copy/paste now. What's the oldest backdated story on AO3? (Not Backstreet.)

I looked and the one narrated by Kevin's cat felt familiar, but I didn't look into it too much. Not here to read stories about Kevin's dead (I assume) cat with six chapters to go, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 02:46:57 AM ---No, it wasn't literally torture, but that's just the generic term I use for harming Nick in stories.  I guess the trope name would be "whump."  The amputation was justified though.

Ugh, Willa Ford is still awful.  What a weird thing to say.  Who would associate her song with 9/11, even if it did come out that day?  It's not like everyone would have heard it that day.  I don't even know what her second single was; I only remember "I Wanna Be Bad."

Yes, exactly!
--- End quote ---

I first read that term the other day. Is that like "this will suck for the characters"?

I don't either. Clearly because it came out on 9/11! lol

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 02:46:57 AM ---Thanks!  I don't mind being known for it, as long as people realize I write other stuff too.  But Broken and Curtain Call are the stories I'm best known for, at least on AC, and I'm fine with that.
--- End quote ---

I think they do know you write other things, but it's nice to know you may have the Nick cancer niche market on lockdown.  ;D

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 02:46:57 AM ---That makes sense and sounds like a good plan.  I guess you'll figure out what your next project is in a few chapters!  I'm curious to find out if you choose something totally different or stick with dark and tragic.
--- End quote ---

We shall see! I'm hopeful I can get another chapter done this weekend! I'm getting a late start on my writing today, though, so we'll see what happens. But I also feel like if I hit the right groove, these next three chapters could come out fairly quickly.

Any requests re: totally different versus dark and tragic? lol I ask, but I probably won't end up writing based purely on requests.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 02:46:57 AM ---Thanks!  I think I was just excited to post the ending and didn't see the point in leaving my readers hanging or keeping poor Nick in peril any longer than necessary.  That one was pretty intense, even for me.
--- End quote ---

That's fair. I wonder what you'll do once you finish MBK. How many chapters are you ahead of what you're posting and do you currently have an idea of how long it will be?

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 02:46:57 AM ---Wow, you really did have a productive day!  Oops to the wrong POV, but glad you were able to fix it.

I finished my chapter with Nick and the boys flying home from the tour - yay!!  I'll figure out how to start Kevin's next chapter tomorrow.

I did finish backdating, and yep, that's the last one.  So if I feel like it tomorrow, maybe I'll start posting SAMS.
--- End quote ---

It hasn't been too difficult keeping these arcs going surprisingly. Overall, I've been able to start the next chapter after finishing one, but I haven't always been able to sustain after starting. I really want to try to get fast though, haha. I don't know that it will happen. Yeah, I wanted Howie to be the POV character, but the way the chapter was going, his thoughts and reactions weren't the most interesting of the available characters. I hadn't gotten super far, so it was a quick change.

Yay!!!! You finished your Nick tour chapter! Great work! No more tour scenes for a while, I hope. How has starting Kevin's chapter gone today?

Proud of you for backdating all your things!

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 02:46:57 AM ---I definitely have never written a purely fluffy, 100% happy novel either.  Yuck LOL.  Even a fluffy story needs some kind of conflict.  It doesn't have to be dark, but the character should struggle in some way.

Despite my love of darkness (or maybe because of it), I lean towards earned happy ending.  I have probably twice as many happy endings as sad or bittersweet endings.  I am a big fan of the bittersweet ending, where maybe a major character dies, but you know the surviving characters are going to be okay.  I've only written a few endings that are total downers.  How about you?
--- End quote ---

Short stories, yeah, but I don't think I have full fluffy novels either. I think when I originally envisioned what eventually became Beta Sigma Beta, I did want this fluffy novel, but it didn't end up becoming that because... Well, Team Dark, obviously, lol.

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure happy endings were the norm for things I finished? I started out with lots of "slice of life" stories, so they just naturally leaned happy. PBox would fall in the bittersweet category, I think, though I did originally intend it to be a downer ending. Can't say one way or the other on PNecklace at the moment, obviously -- even though I know what the answer is. None of the stories I ever wrote where I intended a downer ending (except for PBox) are finished, so... Really maybe my goal is to get to endings, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 02:46:57 AM ---LOL Nick definitely continued to make bad decisions into his twenties - probably worse decisions than he made at 19.  He had pretty much gotten himself together by the end of 2008.  Yeah, I started Guilty Roads in 2010, so I needed to make him more immature.  It wouldn't have worked with him being 30 LOL.  Plus, Kevin is also a major part of the plot, and he wasn't in the group at the time. *kicks Kevin*

It's been a long time since I've done any Amish research, but I don't think they traditionally celebrate Halloween.  But another benefit to making Nick a teenager is that I could make some of the Amish characters he meets teenagers too, so "rumspringa" comes into play and they can celebrate Halloween English-style.

LOL If we make it to 1000 deaths, the last one should definitely be cancer.  That, or he dies peacefully in his sleep as an old man - something completely mundane, after all the crazy deaths he has endured.
--- End quote ---

At least at 19, his best buddy and older brother didn't have wives to focus on... yet. I think post-Brian&Kevin marriages is when Nick got a little more lost. I know thirty-year-olds that haven't, so getting yourself together by 2008 is pretty good! Though we probably didn't fully feel like he had it together at that time. Aww, no kicking Kevin. Let's just throw plot bunnies at him. *tosses bunnies* lol

I didn't think they did either, but Halloween seems like a perfect way to rebel during Rumspringa. Candy and costumes!  :o

lol! Mundane would work better. He earned it after all that dying, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 02:46:57 AM ---I don't know.  I think if the first fanfic I'd ever found had been something like the one on AO3 where Brian and Kevin were fucking like rabbits as literal bunnies with long ears and fluffy tails, I would have been like, "WTF?!" and stayed far, far away from it.  Instead, I found one that was right up my alley and sought out more, which eventually led me to trying it myself.

Do you remember how you found out about fanfic or the first fanfic you read?
--- End quote ---

Literal rabbits is definitely a niche category.

I don't... Backstreet Bauhaus seems right? When did that site start?

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 02:46:57 AM ---In the words of Kevin, "Ah, the mystical pandaskunk!"  Pandaskunks are the strange, flying pandas with long, fluffy, skunk-like tails in the video for It's Christmas Time Again.  https://youtu.be/8Llx2shF_Eg?t=27  We made so much fun of that video around here and on Twitter when it came out.  I was home sick with the flu either the day it was released or later that week and decided to write a short Christmas story that would attempt to explain that video.  It started as a simple Rudolph parody and then went off the rails and turned into a whole trilogy.  It's very 00Carter-like in its humor, and I credit 00Carter for helping me hone my comedy writing skills.
--- End quote ---

There's a video for it?! I have missed so much. Please shame me, lol.

*Three-ish minutes later...*

Ummm... I love this song, but WTF did I just watch?

I love that the flu and the video inspired you to write an off the rails Rudolph story that became a trilogy, lol!

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 02:46:57 AM ---I still think Beta Sigma Beta was a great idea for a story - and a perfect one for you to write, especially at that time.  I just love the cleverness of Beta Sigma Beta as the name of the frat.  There really aren't too many BSB in college stories that I'm aware of.  Tracy wrote one, Finding Carter, but other than that, I can't think of any offhand.  I had an idea a long time ago about BSB Nick going to college, but it never even made it to outline stage.

LMAO at "fully functional Howies are on sale!"  Poor Howie.
--- End quote ---

Same. That was also one of my favorite part about it, naming the fraternity BSB, lol. I've thought maybe I'd go back and finish other unfinished things, and I did specifically say "unlikely to ever be updated" on most of them except Gobosei, where I said "I don't like to make promises, but there's a good chance you will eventually be able to read this whole story." I guess like you, I'm in the never say never camp, but we're also all past college age now, so a college story may resonate a lot less.

I know, poor Howie! I was such a terrible person! lol

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on May 30, 2021, 02:46:57 AM ---My modem/router still has an ethernet cord to connect it to the internet, but all my devices use Wi-fi.  LOL It's like landline phones - I have never had a landline phone since moving out of my parents' house.  The kids today don't even know how to use that kind of phone.  If they need to call home on our phones at school, a lot of them don't even understand that you have to pick up the receiver and then dial a number.  And yes... we were born in the 1900s.  So old! LOL  My student teacher this year was born in 1999, which made me feel really old.  And that means some of next year's student teachers will have been born in 2000!

LOL I will probably be going to bed soon.

--- End quote ---

I think ours does too, now that you mention it. My laptop definitely has no way to connect to an ethernet. My college one did still have the option, though.

Yes! The students stare at me like I'm a crazy person when I use the phone. Born in 1999? Crazy! To be born into a world after Millennium was released... Is that nice or not? I can't decided.

Glad you finally went to bed at almost 3am! But at least you finished your chapter. :)

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 07:26:11 PM ---I don't know that it would be surprising that people might still writing fanfic that wrote fanfic then, but I would be surprised if they ever decided to type anything that old, yes. But maybe they did a long time ago and it's just copy/paste now. What's the oldest backdated story on AO3? (Not Backstreet.)

I looked and the one narrated by Kevin's cat felt familiar, but I didn't look into it too much. Not here to read stories about Kevin's dead (I assume) cat with six chapters to go, lol.

--- End quote ---

I figured out how to use the advanced search to put all the AO3 stories in ascending order by date last updated, and there are a whole bunch dated 1950 that were clearly not actually written in 1950 LOL.  A few pages in, I found a Beatles fanfic backdated to 1964.  That could just be the year the story takes place, but it could be legit.  At least a Beatles fic written in 1964 makes sense, unlike the One Direction/Harry Potter crossover that is also dated 1964 LOL.  Apparently people were also writing Game of Thrones fanfic in 1969 LOL.  Then there are a series of Star Trek fanfics from 1975 that are legit and were originally published in fanzines.

I do remember the one narrated by Kevin's cat Quincy.  I'm not sure if I ever actually read it, but I definitely remember coming across it back in the day.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 07:26:11 PM ---I first read that term the other day. Is that like "this will suck for the characters"?

I don't either. Clearly because it came out on 9/11! lol

--- End quote ---

LOL Basically.  It's described as a form of hurt/comfort that's heavy on the hurt.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 07:26:11 PM ---We shall see! I'm hopeful I can get another chapter done this weekend! I'm getting a late start on my writing today, though, so we'll see what happens. But I also feel like if I hit the right groove, these next three chapters could come out fairly quickly.

Any requests re: totally different versus dark and tragic? lol I ask, but I probably won't end up writing based purely on requests.

--- End quote ---

How has your writing gone tonight?  I also got a very late start today.  My teacher bestie invited me over for day drinking and dinner, so I mowed the lawn and then headed over to her house and didn't write anything until about 9 p.m., when I wrote a sentence just to make sure I got something down.  I am not anticipating writing much more tonight, but hopefully tomorrow will be better now that I got my yard work and socializing quota in for the long weekend.

My only request is Death by Snail!  Otherwise, write what you wanna write!

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 07:26:11 PM ---That's fair. I wonder what you'll do once you finish MBK. How many chapters are you ahead of what you're posting and do you currently have an idea of how long it will be?

--- End quote ---

I don't know yet.  The Brian horror story, Fallen Angel, is still a possibility.  I also have a Nick suspense idea.  Or I may come up with something brand new.  Or maybe go back to Guilty Roads... ha!  We'll see.  I'm not far enough into MBK to give it any serious thought yet.  I just posted Chapter 10 yesterday and started Chapter 19 today, so I'm 8 finished chapters ahead.  I'm still thinking it's going to be in the 40-50 chapter range.  It feels like I could be nearing the halfway point.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 07:26:11 PM ---Yeah, I wanted Howie to be the POV character, but the way the chapter was going, his thoughts and reactions weren't the most interesting of the available characters. I hadn't gotten super far, so it was a quick change.

--- End quote ---

LOL Poor Howie.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 07:26:11 PM ---Hmmm... I'm pretty sure happy endings were the norm for things I finished? I started out with lots of "slice of life" stories, so they just naturally leaned happy. PBox would fall in the bittersweet category, I think, though I did originally intend it to be a downer ending. Can't say one way or the other on PNecklace at the moment, obviously -- even though I know what the answer is. None of the stories I ever wrote where I intended a downer ending (except for PBox) are finished, so... Really maybe my goal is to get to endings, lol.

--- End quote ---

Downer endings are tough.  Do you think that's why you haven't finished any of the ones that were supposed to be downers (or, in the case of PBox, changed them to be bittersweet?).

I only have one true downer of an ending to a novel in the post-Broken era, and it's the one that gives me the least sense of satisfaction or emotional connection.  It ends with two of the four main characters dead, one in prison, and one widowed.  I stand by that ending and would not change any of the characters' fates, but although I like the story, it's not one I particularly enjoyed writing or look back at with a lot of nostalgia the way I do other novels.  I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the ending itself, or if it's just coincidence that the ones with happy or bittersweet endings are the ones I feel more connected to.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 07:26:11 PM ---At least at 19, his best buddy and older brother didn't have wives to focus on... yet. I think post-Brian&Kevin marriages is when Nick got a little more lost. I know thirty-year-olds that haven't, so getting yourself together by 2008 is pretty good! Though we probably didn't fully feel like he had it together at that time. Aww, no kicking Kevin. Let's just throw plot bunnies at him. *tosses bunnies* lol

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I don't think Nick was a hot mess yet at 19.  That was more 2003-2008ish.  Brian and Kevin getting married and then Kevin leaving the group probably didn't help, but I also think he was just at that age where he needed to find himself, the way most kids do in college.  Since he didn't go to college, he did it in his own way.

Fine... here, Kevin, have a plot bunny.  Just don't have #Anal Sex with it.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 07:26:11 PM ---I don't... Backstreet Bauhaus seems right? When did that site start?

--- End quote ---

I wanna say 2001?  Maybe 2002?  Somewhere around there.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 07:26:11 PM ---There's a video for it?! I have missed so much. Please shame me, lol.

*Three-ish minutes later...*

Ummm... I love this song, but WTF did I just watch?

I love that the flu and the video inspired you to write an off the rails Rudolph story that became a trilogy, lol!

--- End quote ---

Oh girl!  You did miss a lot!

That was my reaction the first time I saw it LOL.  https://twitter.com/RokofAges75/status/269142830767824896  The replies to this tweet are where the term "pandaskunk" was coined.

And then Mare made a challenge about it, but I had already started writing my story: http://absolutechaos.net/fictalk/index.php/topic,3104.15.html

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 07:26:11 PM ---Same. That was also one of my favorite part about it, naming the fraternity BSB, lol. I've thought maybe I'd go back and finish other unfinished things, and I did specifically say "unlikely to ever be updated" on most of them except Gobosei, where I said "I don't like to make promises, but there's a good chance you will eventually be able to read this whole story." I guess like you, I'm in the never say never camp, but we're also all past college age now, so a college story may resonate a lot less.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I think I would have a harder time writing a story set in college or high school now.  Another nail in the coffin for my Broken original novel LOL.  Maybe there's more hope for Gobosei.  See... never say never!

--- Quote from: nicksgal on May 30, 2021, 07:26:11 PM ---Born in 1999? Crazy! To be born into a world after Millennium was released... Is that nice or not? I can't decided.

Glad you finally went to bed at almost 3am! But at least you finished your chapter. :)

--- End quote ---

I don't think it's nice.  Imagine missing BSB at their peak!  We were born at the perfect time.  The late 90s were awesome!!  I think 1997 in particular was a magical year because so many of my favorite things came out in that year:  BSB's U.S. debut, Titanic, South Park, and Harry Potter, to name a few.

It was after 4 by the time I finally went to sleep!  Two days in, and I'm already getting into my "stay up all night and sleep all morning" summer schedule.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version