Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Review Site  (Read 20661 times)

bananaaddict

• Captain of Commotion
    • The Original Nick Chicks
Re: Review Site
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2007, 12:47:03 AM »

Whats the site?
Ethereality.  Its a forum we use to talk on all the time last summer.  Check it out here -->http://s10.invisionfree.com/ethereality/index.php?s=b1454e8396814f2597d74c90a3a0527a&act=idx <--

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2007, 12:57:21 AM »

No!!! I have to catch up. *sniff*

It's not really active anymore though.... Ethereality, I mean.. Given that the admin decided not to write fanfic anymore.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2007, 12:59:49 AM »

Aww, I like Ethereality when people actually talked on it.  But now we have this board, which is even better (at least it's more active!)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2007, 01:01:19 AM »

It is a lot more active. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2007, 09:21:41 AM »

No!!! I have to catch up. *sniff*

It's not really active anymore though.... Ethereality, I mean.. Given that the admin decided not to write fanfic anymore.

Ya Ethereality is pretty much dea *sniff* It was fun back in the day, but I agree I think this board is run better. (No disrespect to Laura at all) But like how Ethereality was run is you would post the link to your fiction in order to get feedback. And what wound up happening was me, Laura, and maybe one or two other people were the only ones reviewing, yet very little people were reviewing our stories. It got to the point that we were neglecting or own stories just to read others.

bananaaddict

• Captain of Commotion
    • The Original Nick Chicks
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2007, 09:46:20 AM »

I miss Ethereality, but I'm like you guys.  This board is a lot more active.  I'm probably one of those people Mel was talking about.  I was reading their stories, but I'm horrible about leaving feedback.  I've got to get better about that.  I guess my thing is if it is really good I have a hard time trying to figure what to write other than "great story".  I really do miss the convos over there too.  You girls were the ones that convinced me to write My Immortal, and even though I'm slow on updating I love writing it.  So, thanks. 

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2007, 03:55:38 PM »

It helped not having the internet at home. :D At home, I wrote my own stories. At the library, I read. :)
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2007, 04:24:32 PM »

I was reading their stories, but I'm horrible about leaving feedback.  I've got to get better about that.  I guess my thing is if it is really good I have a hard time trying to figure what to write other than "great story".

I'm one of the people who thinks "great story" is better than nothing - at least I know you're reading and enjoying it.  But if you wanna say more than that (which is nice, trust me!!), try and think about what specifically you liked about it.  Was it the storyline?  The characters?  The suspense?  Or if you're just reviewing a chapter, what was your favorite part of the chapter and why?  What moments stood out?  What do you want to see happen next?  All of that kind of stuff is very helpful to hear from the writer's standpoint. :)
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2007, 04:37:28 PM »

I agree. *nod*

It's also good to point out if anything confused you.
~*Dee*~

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2007, 10:31:24 AM »

Those were some great suggestions that Julie had for what to write in a review other than "Great job!" So many readers tell me that they'd love to say something more, but they just aren't sure how to go about it. Telling why you liked something or recountin your favorite part is definitely a step in the right direction and trust me the writers will definitely appreciate it!

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2007, 11:38:50 AM »

Sometimes I  reply with my reaction to what happened. I talk to the characters and such just as if I were yelling at the movie screen. You know like, "OMG No no no! Nicky you can't do that!!!!! She's gonna be so pissed!" Some reviewers do that to my stories too. It's not necessarily the most constructive review, but it helps the reader see your enthusiasm for the story and that feels good too. (Or maybe just have a good laugh. Haha. I'm sure many have had a good laugh at my expense.) 

or, in case you're not as silly as me and don't groan out loud at the TV every time Lana accuses Clark of keeping secrets, or yell when Clark walks into a room where he should just know there a bunch of Kryptonite. (I love my Superman and all, but he's not always the sharpest tool in the shed if you know what I mean.) another thing people do is say what they thing is going to happen next. I love it when people leave their theories of the story. It's very interesting to see where everyone thinks you're headed with the plot. I got some interesting theories when people were trying to figure out who Cindy's prince charming was going to be.

but I agree with Julie. "Great job!", "loved the chapter" and can't wait for an update" are still better than nothing. The least they know you're reading that way. 
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2007, 11:49:04 AM »

^ When I review I like to review as I read so this way I say things that are still fresh in my mind. I also enjoy when people quote something they liked in the story and explain why or same with quoting something they didn't understand. It helps me as a writer know what people like and dislike.

I do appreciate al the good jobs as well though. :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2007, 11:53:30 AM »

I like getting the reactions too, Kelly - it makes me smile.  When I review, depending on the story, sometimes I review as I go (usually if it's a long chapter, so I don't forget anything) and put in my reactions or parts I really liked, like Mare said.  Othertimes I just review after I finish reading the whole thing and just give a summary of what I liked.  And sometimes it really is hard to find something specific to say, even if I did like the chapter, but I figure anything is better than nothing.

Also, for anyone who gets shy about giving feedback, just know that no matter what you say or how you say it, as long as it's something positive, the author will appreciate hearing it.  There are no stupid questions, and there are no stupid reviews (except for flames LOL).  If the author doesn't appreciate it, then they're not worth your time, but most of us do. ;)
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2007, 11:56:15 AM »

^ yes and to add to that, if you do feel the need to point out a flaw of some kind, make sure you say something nice first. Like wow I loveed the dialogue in the middle but there was one part towards the end that didn't seem very believeable to me...then point it out. If criticism is said nicely no one minds I don't think, but yeah...eh that sucked monkey butts is not a good way to get across how you feel lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2007, 12:03:43 PM »

^ yes and to add to that, if you do feel the need to point out a flaw of some kind, make sure you say something nice first. Like wow I loveed the dialogue in the middle but there was one part towards the end that didn't seem very believeable to me...then point it out. If criticism is said nicely no one minds I don't think, but yeah...eh that sucked monkey butts is not a good way to get across how you feel lol

Exactly!  I said positive because I know that some people do get offended by criticism, even the constructive kind, but most writers that have been writing long enough have reached the point where they value constructive criticism if it's put nicely.  But definitely... if you're going to say something negative, even if you don't think it's anything major, always include something positive too.  Let the positive outweigh the negative.  If you can't think of enough positive to balance the negative, then maybe that story isn't for you.

Oh, and also be detailed about the negative - if you say you don't like the chapter, you better say what you didn't like about it, or the author's going to wonder way more than they'll wonder what you liked if you just say "great chapter!" and don't elaborate.  It's unfortunate, but you always remember the negative more than the positive LOL.
~Julie

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8