Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: NC-17 Stories Have Plots!  (Read 43226 times)

Jamanda

• Fledgling
Re: NC-17 Stories Have Plots!
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2007, 05:46:58 PM »

I take it from your response at continuing to insult me that your answer to my question is "no."

Things can change, yes, but in something as historied as this, it probably won't.

It happens, and you need to realize this. Just because you worship these authors and their writing does not mean that everyone will.

Actually, I have read something of yours before. I'm reading Orange Crush at this moment. I've never came across any of your writing before until now to be honest. I've browsed through many different stories to tell the truth too.

It doesn't matter if it changes around the whole entire world. One place can make a different. If everyone would be WILLING to give everyone a chance here then this could be a better place for authors to see how great they really are.

Worship? It's more like admire. I'm just saying that I'd love to be given the chance to show my opinion on how great some authors really are. That's all, nothing more.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2007, 05:47:22 PM »

I'm just wondering...do you consider all authors? I mean, if people aren't happy with the way things are then have the admins considered changing it? I really don't believe it's fair that not one NC-17 story has been featured though or a writer that DEFINITELY has some of the most amazing writing skills. I may have not read every single story by every single author on here, but I've read a good bit, and I can say there that has been stories left out where the author has the talent and passion put behind the story.

It's wrong that their not featured and the pre-picked thing is just iffy to me...do you girls or guys consider a new story that is posted and is even more outstanding than the one you had prepicked?

Yup I consider all authors.

Read this thread lol maybe it'll help

http://absolutechaos.net/fictalk/index.php?topic=262.0

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Jamanda

• Fledgling
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2007, 05:52:27 PM »

Yup I consider all authors.

Read this thread lol maybe it'll help

http://absolutechaos.net/fictalk/index.php?topic=262.0

But what about the ones who do not join the boards? Do you consider them too..? There's a good bit of authors and I just..it's awful.

Tri

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2007, 05:53:33 PM »

I wouldn't take offense if you wouldn't tell me that my reason is ridiculous. So thanks for not being offensive in the future.

I made the decision MYSELF to make the site appropriate for all ages and to make the story discussion available to all users of the site. It is my right to do this, whether or not other parents tell me what to put on my site. I am a parent, too, and I understand their point. I WANT to have a site that includes all types of fics, yes, but I am not going to feature a story that is not able to be discussed by all the members of the site that want to participate.

I'm not going to argue this with you. I'm sorry you don't like my policy. I can't make everyone happy. I will think on it and see if I can come up with a reasonable alternative, but I'm sorry, the Featured Story is not going to be NC-17 at this time.

If you would like to run an alternate discussion group, let me know; maybe we can work something out.

I actually would appreciate a place where it'd be acceptable to highlight an NC-17 story and discuss it.  I think that a lot of the romance/drama NC-17 stories have a deeper level to them considering there's the relationship that includes the emotional/mental side along with the physical/sexual side and it'd be something interesting to discuss.

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
    • Drifting-In-Between-Dreams A Place to Lose Reality if Only for a Moment
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2007, 05:53:59 PM »

There was an interesting discussion about that too at one point on this forum. The children reading NC-17 stories. I would look for the link but i'm too lazy. lol

I agree it should be up to parents to police what their kids are doing but sadly, it's just not the case. I still can't believe how many of my junior high kids have Myspace pages!!

I started reading fan fiction at the tender age of 12 and my first fic I read was a visual. And my mom knew about it too and was like oh well... not saying that EVERY parent should do that but kids are going to find a way around it, and it's up to the parents and for us to take matters into our own hands violates censorship laws and our first amendment rights to say whatever the heck we choose to. To censor a story just because it has mature content is just as wrong as saying that all g-rated stories aren't good because they're too kid-ish. It works both ways. I mean i'd rather have my neices read an NC-17 story than watch and NC-17 movie or go to an X-rated website. So if they choose NC-17 over that then you know what maybe they're a little more intelligent that we and their parents are giving them credit for because at least they're reading.
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."
Angel: "Spike.... just walk away"
Spike: "You're a..."
Angel: "Don't say it!"
Spike: "You're a bleeding puppet!"

Tri

« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2007, 05:56:08 PM »

I started reading fan fiction at the tender age of 12 and my first fic I read was a visual. And my mom knew about it too and was like oh well... not saying that EVERY parent should do that but kids are going to find a way around it, and it's up to the parents and for us to take matters into our own hands violates censorship laws and our first amendment rights to say whatever the heck we choose to. To censor a story just because it has mature content is just as wrong as saying that all g-rated stories aren't good because they're too kid-ish. It works both ways. I mean i'd rather have my neices read an NC-17 story than watch and NC-17 movie or go to an X-rated website. So if they choose NC-17 over that then you know what maybe they're a little more intelligent that we and their parents are giving them credit for because at least they're reading.

That's what I was trying to say earlier.  I'm glad you're thinking along the same lines.  When I was younger, I chose reading and writing that type of thing compared to going out and doing it to satisfy my curiosities.  Personally, I'd want that for my own children and the children I teach, too.  Maybe if more children were allowed a creative vent through writing, there'd be less things they'd be getting into.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2007, 05:56:16 PM »

But what about the ones who do not join the boards? Do you consider them too..? There's a good bit of authors and I just..it's awful.

Yup I do but honestly part of my picking for now anyway is who will be around to discuss their work. At this point if I picked someone who i'm not sure is even writing anymore when it came time to disucss there would be nothing happening. I'm hoping once people on the site get the hint that we discuss the stories on the forum then when they see they are being featured they'll join the forum and discuss their stuff.

You have to realize there are a gabillion writers on AC all of whom are good in their own right. Like I said in that thread I linked you to, as long as this forum is up and running everyone will get a chance.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2007, 05:59:09 PM »

Actually, I have read something of yours before. I'm reading Orange Crush at this moment. I've never came across any of your writing before until now to be honest. I've browsed through many different stories to tell the truth too.

It doesn't matter if it changes around the whole entire world. One place can make a different. If everyone would be WILLING to give everyone a chance here then this could be a better place for authors to see how great they really are.

Worship? It's more like admire. I'm just saying that I'd love to be given the chance to show my opinion on how great some authors really are. That's all, nothing more.

You can say that as much as you want, but all I'm saying is that a lot of people probably aren't willing to change their opinions, so it probably won't change.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

Jamanda

• Fledgling
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2007, 06:00:13 PM »

Yup I do but honestly part of my picking for now anyway is who will be around to discuss their work. At this point if I picked someone who i'm not sure is even writing anymore when it came time to disucss there would be nothing happening. I'm hoping once people on the site get the hint that we discuss the stories on the forum then when they see they are being featured they'll join the forum and discuss their stuff.

You have to realize there are a gabillion writers on AC all of whom are good in their own right. Like I said in that thread I linked you to, as long as this forum is up and running everyone will get a chance.

So, if I'd post and ask you to consider someone then you'd read their work and consider them? No matter what genre or rating?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2007, 06:00:51 PM »

uh huh lol

Tri

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2007, 06:01:19 PM »

All right, I have a general question for anyone now. 

I stated in my first post WHY I rated my story with NC-17.  Even though there's a plot and there isn't sex in every chapter, like many people's assumptions are, I thought it was appropriate to warn readers that there IS graphic sexual content. 

My question is: Would you suggest that I change my rating to R because it DOES have plot?  (Even though it does have graphic sexual content and may be deemed inappropriate by certain people?)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2007, 06:03:31 PM »

NC-17 shouldn't make it plotless.

If the sex scenes are described in graphic detail, then it deserves the NC-17 rating, regardless of whether or not there is a plot. Having a plot doesn't soften the descriptive detail.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2007, 06:05:56 PM »

^ When I see NC-17 I tend to think graphic sex scenes. When I see R I think sex but without the explicit details if that makes any sense?

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
    • Drifting-In-Between-Dreams A Place to Lose Reality if Only for a Moment
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2007, 06:07:07 PM »

Most people don't even know that we discuss on the forum sadly. I try to come here as often as I can. I'm lol usually a lurker just because I don't have time to post. I do read everything on here and it's fun alot of times. And yeah some writers on AC aren't the best, and it is hard sometimes to know before you open up a story. Even some of the best writers on AC have stories the frustrate the hell out of me, but sometimes that's exactly their point too. It just appeared to me that there were these preconceived notions about a particular rating, that were being applied to mine and a few others I read and it's not true for us. And not to say that you personally have said it but OTHER authors have said that to me and it gets to me because it's like "did i make a mistake in being honest about my rating?"
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."
Angel: "Spike.... just walk away"
Spike: "You're a..."
Angel: "Don't say it!"
Spike: "You're a bleeding puppet!"

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2007, 06:11:37 PM »

I agree that parents should be watching what their kids are doing. And I know they're going to find it if they want to (they can find it on my site even, I know). But as webmaster, it's my decision to not actively try to pull them into discussions about these stories, either. It's a compromise that I'm comfortable with as a balance between the two sides.

I'm not going to argue with you. I'm sorry that you don't like how things are currently being done. Again I'm willing to work with you on an alternate feature, but right now I'm not going to change how the current featured story is working. We'll come up with an alternate feature of some sort. Honestly I'm tired and don't think I'm going to articulate things well tonight (and obviously have not thus far...)

Sorry you think it's not being handled well. Mare's doing one story a month and I think she's been very fair picking from varied genres.

As for the R-Rated one...I'm sorry, I admit I had not read it; I'm not sure which one you're talking about but you're right it probably should not have been chosen for the featured story. I know you're going to say that if we posted that as featured we should post NC-17 as featured, but I'm going to just say that that was a mistake.

Again, I'm willing to work with you on an alternative here. I'm not saying that I won't do something different to feature them, but with the current feature(d) stories setup, I'm sorry, but it's not going to happen. I wasn't intentionally trying to slight NC-17 writers. Sorry you felt that way.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12