Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: Where has all the Horror/Humor gone?  (Read 1770 times)

Kagoma

• Major Disruption
Where has all the Horror/Humor gone?
« on: December 23, 2007, 12:47:28 PM »

Has anyone notice that if you do a search for say a horror fanfiction with BSB in it, you'll never find one? Or that there aren't that many action or adventure stories for them?

What's up with that?

Or that there aren't that many Humor stories that make you laugh until your heart stops?

Most are just Mary-sue :P.

Am I the only one that notice this?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 12:50:04 PM by Kagoma »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Where has all the Horror/Humor gone?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 01:40:02 PM »

Nope, I have noticed that too which is why I have sadly have been losing interest in fanifcs :(
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 02:31:21 PM »

It is a sad fact that we exist in a fandom where romance is the top priority, that's why all of us need to change that. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

MonkeyAbu

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 04:17:19 PM »

Yes it is true that romance is the genre of choice to write about. But isn't it the point to have the freedom to write whatever genre you wish to write about?

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 04:41:31 PM »

LMAO Nightmare On Backstreet  ...my stab (haha no pun intended) at cheesy horror!  :D

and I agree. Romance dominates, but look at your audience. And I think that a good humor or action is generally a lot harder to write. So maybe that's why?
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 06:51:10 PM »

There are some great horror, action/adventure, and humor stories out there in our fandom, but they definitely aren't being churned out as often as romances.  But then, considering that most of us are females, writing about five attractive guys, it makes sense that romance is sort of the genre of choice.  Likewise, the horror/action stuff makes more sense as the genre of choice for other fandoms.

Like others have said, it's all about writing what you want to write and what readers want to read.  I've found that when I can't find the kind of story I want to read, I end up trying to write it myself.  That's how I got started writing in the first place.  Keep on writing the horror and humor, and maybe those will be the new trends again.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling