Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do you ever feel like just packing it all in?  (Read 5831 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Do you ever feel like just packing it all in?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 10:44:44 AM »

I feel like that sometimes too.  My best friend and I used to write fics together all the time, and now we hardly talk to each other anymore.  So sometimes that really makes me   unmotivated.  I've noticed readers disappear too which makes me wonder if they lost interest in my stories because they aren't good, or they aren't written well enough, so then I get really paranoid.  Eventually I get out of the slump... but yeah, it sucks..
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 08:10:30 PM »

I must be a freak because I never want to check my reviews. I have to make an honest to god effort to go and reply to them to make people feel like I read them when I don't really want to. I've had a whole story that only had two or three reviews out of 21 chapters but it didn't really bug me... like I said.. a freak

lol I like to respond as a way of thanking them for taking the time to read and review. :)

It's just strange to have people who regularly read your stuff and then regularly review it not say anything. :(
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 08:12:26 PM »

lol I like to respond as a way of thanking them for taking the time to read and review. :)

It's just strange to have people who regularly read your stuff and then regularly review it not say anything. :(

I want to thank them for reviewing but at the same time I don't want to know what it says. Sure it could be glorious and praising but at the same time they could be saying it was crap, and I just don't wanna know lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 08:18:54 PM »

I want to thank them for reviewing but at the same time I don't want to know what it says. Sure it could be glorious and praising but at the same time they could be saying it was crap, and I just don't wanna know lol

Well you should know by now that you're a good enough author that no one will be calling your work "crap." :P
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 10:29:04 PM »

Honestly, Dee, it's probably not you or your story.  It's probably them.  I have readers disappear on me all the time and then email me months later apologizing cause they haven't sent feedback in so long.  It's usually because of work or school or moving or something like that - real life getting in the way.  They end up getting caught up and sending feedback again though.  It's always nice to know they're still around after all.

I'm not sure if this is the case with you or not, but if it's been six months since you last updated (I know you said you had writer's block for six months anyway), who knows what your readers have been up to in that time.  They might not even know Pbox has been updated again.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 10:36:42 PM »

I totally understand that. I mean, if I can't be there to update regularly, why should I expect them to review regularly. It's totally a give and take thing, and I do get that.

I still blame the writer's block though. lol

I guess I'm just overly paranoid about the direction the story is taking. lol
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 10:39:02 PM »

I don't mean that like they're not reviewing just because you haven't updated regularly.  I mean they might not even realize there's an update, OR things have changed for them and they've lost interest in that six months.  But I would think that if they liked the story enough to review regularly before, they'll come back eventually.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 10:42:56 PM »

I have had one or two readers who went from sending these really amazing, complimentary reviews every time I updated to sending really critical, almost scolding feedback, to not sending feedback at all, all because they didn't like the direction the story was taking.  It was like they almost took it personally that they didn't like what was happening in the story.  It was hard for me not to take it personally that they didn't like it and couldn't let it go, but eh, it's all good now.  It just makes me appreciate the readers that do like my stuff more.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 10:43:49 PM »

Here's to hoping. lol

Regardless of that, I started out writing it for me... for everyone, but mostly for me. And even if I'm paranoid that no one's reviewing because they hate me for the direction it's taking, it's still the ending that the story is supposed to have. So it will have that ending, regardless of reader opinion. :)
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 10:50:06 PM »

Good for you. :)   That's what I had to tell myself about BMS too (actually, others told me that, but I listened to them, and I'm glad I did).  You shouldn't change your story just to please someone else.  You have to write what you feel is right.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 10:54:59 PM »

I'm glad you listened to them also. :)

I feel like we're all finally comfortable with our writing when we can say "It's not for the readers, it's for me." I think the story is better that way. :)
~*Dee*~

LenniluvsBrian

• General Pandemonium
  • You gave me a smile that I will never forget.....
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2008, 12:22:34 AM »

I just miss my reader's - it's like all of them went on hiatus at once - lol.

And if y'all ever get reviews from me - I'm the one whose more than likely yelling at one of the characters - lol.

~Lenni~
Concert Tickets: $270
3 BSB T-Shirts: $105
BSB Sweater: $85
Poster & Book: $30
Having Brian grab me & pull me close during sound check: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Ticket: $14.95
Bus Fare: $3.50
Marilyn Denis Show Ticket: Free
Nick Carter singing to me on live television: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2008, 01:55:03 AM »

I just miss my reader's - it's like all of them went on hiatus at once - lol.

And if y'all ever get reviews from me - I'm the one whose more than likely yelling at one of the characters - lol.

~Lenni~

lol nobody yells at my characters more than you!!!   But I love ya for it Lenni!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2008, 06:55:34 PM »

I have had one or two readers who went from sending these really amazing, complimentary reviews every time I updated to sending really critical, almost scolding feedback, to not sending feedback at all, all because they didn't like the direction the story was taking.  It was like they almost took it personally that they didn't like what was happening in the story.  It was hard for me not to take it personally that they didn't like it and couldn't let it go, but eh, it's all good now.  It just makes me appreciate the readers that do like my stuff more.

Yea I SOOO hear you there Julie. I think that's what really hurt me the most. UMS didn't end in the happily ever after, carefully wrapped up, fairytale ending sort of way and I think some readers really felt very strongly about that. I know that as soon as readers saw the direction it was heading it they jumped ship and in a way I know how they feel after like 50 chapters the story not ending w/ them being together it prolly seemed pointless, but in order for the sequel to work out that's the way it HAD to end. It's sad though that many of them aren't around FOR the sequel.

I'm glad to see though that I'm not he only one who feels like they've lost readers. I've done a lot of thinking and I am going to continue writing, but I'm not going to stress myself out with it like I was doing. I was trying so hard to write what I think people like that I wasn't feeling comfortable with what I was writing. I was trying to imitate other authors who I respect and unfortunately their style just doesn't work for me. I LOVE writing about emotional pain and angst and some people find that depressing, but I find it fascinating. I mean like ALTOS is all about an affair so instead of focusing soley on the physical side of an affair I'm WAAAYYY more intrigued by the mental/ emotional side that oftentimes gets overlooked. So yea... Basically I kind of forgot for a moment that first and foremost I need to write for myself and in a way that I am comfortable with and not force anything.

I also had to remind myself that unlike other authors I'm A LOT busier and I just physically can't update every day or even every week. Updates are going to have to be sporadic for me especially because I'm in for a VERY busy spring. I'm starting my first Practicum class for my Masters which means I have to meet with a student for an hour every week, plus regular classes, plus my job at Macy's, plus subbing and *crosses fingers* there's a 4th and 5th grade special ed teacher going out on maternity leave in a few weeks at one of the schools who might keep me in mind for the position, so if I get that it's going to be even harder for me to write. So yea... I definitely have a lot on my plate right now!

Thanks though everyone for your kind words. I heart you guys!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2008, 10:21:12 PM »

Yea I SOOO hear you there Julie. I think that's what really hurt me the most. UMS didn't end in the happily ever after, carefully wrapped up, fairytale ending sort of way and I think some readers really felt very strongly about that. I know that as soon as readers saw the direction it was heading it they jumped ship and in a way I know how they feel after like 50 chapters the story not ending w/ them being together it prolly seemed pointless, but in order for the sequel to work out that's the way it HAD to end. It's sad though that many of them aren't around FOR the sequel.

Aww... see, I think it totally makes sense to end the story that way if you're going to write a sequel.  You can't have everything all "happily ever after" because then what kind of conflict would there be in the sequel?  I know I gave Broken a nice, fluffy ending, but those of you who have read BMS saw how long that lasted LOL.  A story needs conflict, plain and simple.  It can't always work out the way you want it to, or it wouldn't be a good story.  You have to have some drama to work through.

Who knows, if they weren't happy with how UMS ended, maybe they'll come back and check out the sequel to see if it's heading back in a direction they want.  And if not, it's their loss, not yours.  You write the kind of story you'll be happy with.
~Julie

Pages: 1 [2]