Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Ugh... Great minds thinking alike in the fan fic world  (Read 38663 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: Ugh... Great minds thinking alike in the fan fic world
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2008, 12:22:38 AM »

Very similair situation here. Some people just are completely different writers and have completely different styles and I've come to learn that you can't change a person and MAKE them write how you want the story to go. If I'm getting sick of the direction a story is heading in so much so that it upsets me to that extent, the best thing is to stop reading and shut up and stop complaining.

But that's what I think makes fanfic so fun. It's because everyone writes differently and we all get to enjoy everyone's differing opinions and world views. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2008, 12:23:20 AM »

Very similair situation here. Some people just are completely different writers and have completely different styles and I've come to learn that you can't change a person and MAKE them write how you want the story to go. If I'm getting sick of the direction a story is heading in so much so that it upsets me to that extent, the best thing is to stop reading and shut up and stop complaining.

LOL a perfect example of this is Me and Mare. I respect the hell out of her writing and am always thinking I need to read her stuff cause I would probably really like it, but then I read the summaries and I'm like.... mmmm.... there are others that sound more interesting to me. She's the same way with me I think. (or at least I hope lol) I think she'd be back in the suicide thread if she had to read some of my stuff. But that doesn't mean what I write is bad, just not her thing.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2008, 12:24:51 AM »

So...once again, I'm late in joining this thread, but, first off, I'm really curious as to which story this is, Mel, that seems to be so similar to ALTOS...don't worry, you don't have to say it LOL

Secondly, I think as a fellow romance author, I have had lots of difficulties lately coming up with different, unique plots that aren't your usual run-of-the-mill ones.  And it's HARD. I think there's bound to be, like Mare said, lots of similarities because there's only so much you can do in the fanfic romance genre. The most creative I've ever been was with the story that Kelly and I are writing with Brian as Backstreet Boy by day and superhero by night lol Still, it IS difficult to come up with new and different plot twists to the same old tired romances about Boy and some girl.

That being said, I'm IN LOVE with angst because that's all I ever seem to write LOL I can't help it, I can't get away from it, and I totally understood where both Mel and Julie are coming from with UMS/ALTOS and Broken/BMS. Dude, I live and thrive off of angst because I don't even know HOW to write fluffy lol Every time I try, it turns out all sorts of angsty in the end lmao

Anyway...now I have no idea where I was going with this...

Oh yeah! Endings: I totally agree with Dee in giving a story the ending it deserves. Of course, I'm also totally in love with happy endings so it's super doubtful that any story I write will not end with sunshine and bunnies...so I guess I don't really follow my own logic, but yeah...

Okay, I'll shut up now.
Sarah

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2008, 12:29:19 AM »

Oh yeah! Endings: I totally agree with Dee in giving a story the ending it deserves. Of course, I'm also totally in love with happy endings so it's super doubtful that any story I write will not end with sunshine and bunnies...so I guess I don't really follow my own logic, but yeah...

I love sunshine and bunnies!.... and bloodbaths. lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2008, 12:30:49 AM »

I love sunshine and bunnies!.... and bloodbaths. lol

the ones with all three of those elements make for the best stories...  Grosse Point Blank... One of my favorite movies ever... sunshine, bunnies and bloodbaths! All in the same movie!! YAY!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2008, 12:31:43 AM »

the ones with all three of those elements make for the best stories...  Grosse Point Blank... One of my favorite movies ever... sunshine, bunnies and bloodbaths! All in the same movie!! YAY!

Now if only I could find a way to get that sunshine and those bunnies into Pbox.... *ponders* lmao
~*Dee*~

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2008, 12:31:50 AM »

But that's what I think makes fanfic so fun. It's because everyone writes differently and we all get to enjoy everyone's differing opinions and world views. :)

I live by this code: "Whatever floats your boat as long as you don't sink mine."

Too bad not everyone does.

Aww poor Sarah joining the thread late. The story isn't a big idea basically it has a very similair plot in the whole Alyssa/Sean/Nick/Shayla rectangle only different characters. It IS hard to come up with original romance ideas which is why I try to focus more on angst. For instance I'll use an affair since that's where my story is heading. I COULD focus soley on the physical side of having an affair. I'm hoping though to go the angstier (is that a word?) route and take each character and discuss how the affair impacts each character. There's a lot of REALLY good emotional material there I think to delve into which a lot of other writers might overlook.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2008, 12:34:04 AM »

Oh yeah, that's true.  But... I guess, to me, what Mel and I were talking about is like this...  when I was in junior high and high school, I had to read a lot of classic literature for my English classes that I didn't particularly enjoy.  Just to throw an example out there, I remember having to read "Across Five Aprils" in 7th grade and HATING that book.  I don't even remember WHY I hated the book anymore because I barely remember the story, just that it takes place during the Civil War and the main character's name was Jed or something.  I even like history, but I disliked that book; I probably thought it was boring.  Obviously, it must have some redeeming value for my teacher to make us read it, and maybe if I read it again now, as an adult, I would figure out what that was, but at the time, I just thought it was a boring piece of crap.  Probably there was something I was supposed to "get" from it and did not, but my teacher did get, and that's why she liked the book enough to assign it to us when she could have assigned countless other classics.

All stories are up for interpretation, but as the writer, you know what you're going for, and you know when someone just doesn't "get" that, and while you may appreciate them reading and offering their opinions, you may not value them as much as the people who do seem to "get" it.  I did not "get" Across Five Aprils.  I comprehended it, but I failed to see whatever magic it offered that made it worthy of reading in seventh grade.  That doesn't mean it's a bad book, and it doesn't mean I was wrong either... it's just one of those things that comes down to a combination of taste and life experience, I guess.  I bet if I were to read that book now, I would probably like it a little more, but I still might not love it.

Hopefully that semi-rambling post made sense LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2008, 12:37:21 AM »

I live by this code: "Whatever floats your boat as long as you don't sink mine."

Too bad not everyone does.

I think everyone here does though. :)
~*Dee*~

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2008, 12:38:42 AM »

I think everyone here does though. :)

Yea everyone who regularly posts here is kewl. *huggles*

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2008, 12:41:30 AM »

Oh yeah, that's true.  But... I guess, to me, what Mel and I were talking about is like this...  when I was in junior high and high school, I had to read a lot of classic literature for my English classes that I didn't particularly enjoy.....

Hopefully that semi-rambling post made sense LOL.

Aw, I got that. :) And yes, it did make sense.

It's the same idea as "go with the ending that serves the story." I think being an author is a lot harder than beign a reader. Everyone wants things to go a certain way or fit into a subset of a certain mold. And not everyone does that; it's what I like and hate about fanfic all at once.

I mean, at one side, if everyone had the same tastes and worldviews because then we would all be able to enjoy each other's work and have awesome discussions about it. But because we're all different, I feel like we can appreciate what everyone else does more. Being writers ourselves, I mean.

It's like finding your friends. No one wants a friend just like them, you want friends that have qualities you want, because then hopefully you can grow because of that. :)

And that was a ramble. lmao

There was a book I felt that way about too in tenth grade.... The character's name was Phinneas and he broke his legs and then died or something... I don't remember what it was called... But I wanted to shoot myself... Oh, and "Of Mice and Men." I cannot stand that book. lmao
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2008, 12:41:54 AM »

Yea everyone who regularly posts here is kewl. *huggles*

I'm kewl. lmao *huggles*
~*Dee*~

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2008, 12:44:51 AM »

Aw, I got that. :) And yes, it did make sense.

There was a book I felt that way about too in tenth grade.... The character's name was Phinneas and he broke his legs and then died or something... I don't remember what it was called... But I wanted to shoot myself... Oh, and "Of Mice and Men." I cannot stand that book. lmao

A Seperate Peace... OMFG I HATED that book too. All I remember is Phinneas and he fell out of a tree and broke his legs. Otherwise there was NO point whatsoever to it lol

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2008, 12:46:52 AM »

That totally makes sense, Julie. And actually I'm just waiting for my readers to turn on me in my current story because I can see the overall picture and know it will all come together in the end to make a good story, but for my readers right now some of them don't see that and they're already starting to fidget.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2008, 12:48:15 AM »

A Seperate Peace... OMFG I HATED that book too. All I remember is Phinneas and he fell out of a tree and broke his legs. Otherwise there was NO point whatsoever to it lol

LMAO I can't even remember what was required reading for me in high school. I never read any of it. The only book I actually read cover to cover in high school (required wise) was Huck Finn.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15