Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Need Opinions on New Story Please :)  (Read 6145 times)

sweet18_2003

• Captain of Commotion
    • My Space
Re: Need Opinions on New Story Please :)
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 09:47:50 PM »

Mine too! Dont Die, My Love, was one of my favorites...as well as the For Better, For Worse series...with April and Mark was it?  Done Die, My Love  was actually made into a movie a long ass time ago...probably 8 years ago now...it was called Heart of a Champion or something. Great movie...but it was one ofthose made for TV movies that only aired once. I recorded it...but it got taped over somehow. I am still upset over that!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 10:02:15 PM »

Mine too! Dont Die, My Love, was one of my favorites...as well as the For Better, For Worse series...with April and Mark was it?  Done Die, My Love  was actually made into a movie a long ass time ago...probably 8 years ago now...it was called Heart of a Champion or something. Great movie...but it was one ofthose made for TV movies that only aired once. I recorded it...but it got taped over somehow. I am still upset over that!

Yep!  The first April and Mark one was called Till Death Do Us Part, and then the sequel was For Better, For Worse.  So sad, but good.

And omg, I know, I was so floored by that movie!  I had no idea, until I was browsing the TV guide one night and read the summary of it and was like, "Gee, sounds like my kind of movie," and I turned it on, and I was like, "This is eerily like the plot of 'Don't Die, My Love'," and then I realized it WAS.  Just with a different title.  It's called "Shattered Hearts."  I taped it too LOL.  It was so cheesy, but I totally cried at the end.  I wish they could show it more often on Lifetime.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

sweet18_2003

• Captain of Commotion
    • My Space
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 10:27:30 PM »

Yep!  The first April and Mark one was called Till Death Do Us Part, and then the sequel was For Better, For Worse.  So sad, but good.

And omg, I know, I was so floored by that movie!  I had no idea, until I was browsing the TV guide one night and read the summary of it and was like, "Gee, sounds like my kind of movie," and I turned it on, and I was like, "This is eerily like the plot of 'Don't Die, My Love'," and then I realized it WAS.  Just with a different title.  It's called "Shattered Hearts."  I taped it too LOL.  It was so cheesy, but I totally cried at the end.  I wish they could show it more often on Lifetime.

I cried at the end too! Especially when he goes  in for surgery then the next scene was his funeral! When it originally aired, it was on ABC. You said they show it on Lifetime occasionally now?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 06:12:30 AM »

Yeah, the times I've seen it, it's always been on Lifetime.  I didn't know it was on ABC originally... I must have completely missed that, cause I think it said it was made in about 98, and I didn't see it till like 2001 or 02.
~Julie

sweet18_2003

• Captain of Commotion
    • My Space
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 09:53:53 AM »

Yeah, the times I've seen it, it's always been on Lifetime.  I didn't know it was on ABC originally... I must have completely missed that, cause I think it said it was made in about 98, and I didn't see it till like 2001 or 02.
[/quote

Yeah...98 sees about right when I saw it on ABC. When it was on there, it was called Heart of a Champion. Guess they changed the name of it when it moved to Lifetime. Hmmm... I wish I could see it again! lol. Its hard to believe it was 10 years ago. Jeesh, how time flies!!! 

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 02:39:45 PM »

Hehe, me too!  I bought one of her newer ones a couple years ago, but the magic wasn't there... but I will always love the old ones I grew up with.  "Don't Die, My Love" is my absolute favorite.  She's been the biggest influence on my writing.

I think I read Don't Die, My Love back in like high school... Is that the one where the guys name is I think Luke and he's like a football player or something who gets cancer and I remember all his teammates shaved their heads for him or something like that?

I used to read a lot of Lurlene McDaniel, but the whole terminal illness thing is only excting so many times. Ironically though I believe there IS a book by Lurlene McDaniel from like the 80's (I think its her. I got it from my neighbor) that has a character in it named Nick Carter LOL! I remember it was a story about this girl Rachel who was a ballet dancer who developed diabetes and of course "Nick" was this uber hot guy she had a crush on in school lol. I can't remrmber the title though.

sweet18_2003

• Captain of Commotion
    • My Space
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 02:55:05 PM »

I think I read Don't Die, My Love back in like high school... Is that the one where the guys name is I think Luke and he's like a football player or something who gets cancer and I remember all his teammates shaved their heads for him or something like that?

I used to read a lot of Lurlene McDaniel, but the whole terminal illness thing is only excting so many times. Ironically though I believe there IS a book by Lurlene McDaniel from like the 80's (I think its her. I got it from my neighbor) that has a character in it named Nick Carter LOL! I remember it was a story about this girl Rachel who was a ballet dancer who developed diabetes and of course "Nick" was this uber hot guy she had a crush on in school lol. I can't remrmber the title though.

Yep, thats the one (Don't Die, My Love) As for the book about the girl (Rachel) who has diabetes and Nick Carter...I dont know if I've read that one...or even heard of it. It wouldn't surprise me though if it was Lurlene McDaniel and one of her first books.  :)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 05:49:40 PM »

Mel, I found the book you were talking about on Amazon.com--because I was curious. :P

It's a reprint now called "Last Dance" and it is about a girl named Rachel who is a ballet dancer. The guy in question is named Sean, who is a soccer player also diagnosed with diabetes. In 1988, when the book was originally released, it was entitled "When Dreams Shatter"/"Will I Ever Dance Again"/"Will Never Dance Again." <--- I can't find a consistent title....

I'm still looking to see if maybe the guy's name changed between the releases... but I doubt it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 06:00:21 PM by nicksgal »
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 05:55:59 PM »

It's nice to see other Lurlene fans around... most of my friends in junior high didn't read them because they were too depressing.  Psh... I love anything that makes me cry. 
~Julie

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 09:08:14 PM »

Mel, I found the book you were talking about on Amazon.com--because I was curious. :P

It's a reprint now called "Last Dance" and it is about a girl named Rachel who is a ballet dancer. The guy in question is named Sean, who is a soccer player also diagnosed with diabetes. In 1988, when the book was originally released, it was entitled "When Dreams Shatter"/"Will I Ever Dance Again"/"Will Never Dance Again." <--- I can't find a consistent title....

I'm still looking to see if maybe the guy's name changed between the releases... but I doubt it.

I think it was When Dreams Shatter actually. And now that I remember Sean was another character in the story. "Nick" was more of a minor character. He was the guy Rachel was crushing on but of course didn't wind up with. This guy Sean helped her through her diabetes and I think they may have gotten together.

Another freaky coincidence... A Little Taste of Sin has a Nick and a Sean in it after the same girl LOL

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »

Maybe you should read the book again and let us all know. :P

I did find out the author has a son named Sean with diabetes though. Who knew. lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

sweet18_2003

• Captain of Commotion
    • My Space
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2008, 04:26:01 PM »

yeah...i read somewhere that thats  what made her start writing about kids with illnesses, was when her son was diagnosed with diabetes.

ALM

• Fledgling
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2008, 05:05:54 PM »

oh boy they all sound good

can not pick one

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 10:51:09 PM »

I like the premise of Weird World but think finding a different title might be better.   Notice of Classification is something I've found on many draft cards... *shrugs* they were older though. 

It's your story though and the idea sounds great, I'd go with that one

*kicks herself for not thinking of an army idea* :-D
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

sweet18_2003

• Captain of Commotion
    • My Space
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2008, 09:04:44 PM »

So it looks like I am going with Weird World (likely with a title change) for the new story and Affliction for the old story that I am going to finish!!! :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3