Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: Holding back posting....?  (Read 2264 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Holding back posting....?
« on: March 16, 2008, 11:38:12 PM »

When you all start new stories or are about to end old ones, do you ever hold back posting? And how do you keep yourself from wanting to post? lol

I'm half done with the end of PBox (aka one of the last two chapters) and I so want to post it for the the thought that maybe someone would give me feedback. But I promised myself I would update the last two together. It's driving me crazy! lol

So, what would you all do?
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Holding back posting....?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 06:21:39 AM »

I always hold back a little with new stories because I want to make sure I have a good shot at continuing them before I put anything up.

I held onto the end of BMS for what seemed like forever, but only because I wanted to post the last three chapters on Nick's b-day.  Otherwise I would have posted them as soon as I'd proofread them.

What's your reason for wanting to post the last two chapters of PBox together?  Do the chapters go together?  If so, wait and post them together.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 08:33:56 AM »

I've decided I'm not going to post anything until it's finished... so I know I can finish it.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 03:48:48 PM »

^ I do not like that Julilly! lol I want a new chapter of handsaw.

and I used to hold back on chapters now as soon as I write them, I post them. Well usually the next day because things that maybe sounded great the night before read as stupid the next day. As far as new stories, I always make sure I have a few chapters written before I post anything.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 05:20:45 PM »

^ that's basically what I do. I usually finish chapters late at night, and you know how that goes... when you wake up the next morning and go WTF was I trying to say? And same with new stories. I usually wait until I know for sure that I have them well planned and am for sure going to write them.   Aside from that I never bother waiting. I'm way too impatient.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 05:52:45 PM »

I held onto the end of BMS for what seemed like forever, but only because I wanted to post the last three chapters on Nick's b-day.

What's your reason for wanting to post the last two chapters of PBox together?  Do the chapters go together?  If so, wait and post them together.

Because you wanted to start and end it on Nick's birthday, right? :)

I don't know if they necessarily have to be posted together... But I think part of me feels like they both sound like "the end," so if I posted them seperately, maybe people wouldn't get the "real" end. It's sort of flawed logic, I think. lol

Well, that and everyone says they're not finishing it until it's done, so what's the point in posting right away? lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 06:00:44 PM »

Because you wanted to start and end it on Nick's birthday, right? :)

I don't know if they necessarily have to be posted together... But I think part of me feels like they both sound like "the end," so if I posted them seperately, maybe people wouldn't get the "real" end. It's sort of flawed logic, I think. lol

Well, that and everyone says they're not finishing it until it's done, so what's the point in posting right away? lol

That makes sense that they both feel like "the end."  I would wait and post them together then; you'll probably be glad you did, even if it means waiting longer.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 09:43:25 PM »

That makes sense that they both feel like "the end."  I would wait and post them together then; you'll probably be glad you did, even if it means waiting longer.

Well, I've already waited a day, I think I'll be able to handle on more week. :) I think....
~*Dee*~

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 07:48:17 AM »

^ I do not like that Julilly! lol I want a new chapter of handsaw.

and I used to hold back on chapters now as soon as I write them, I post them. Well usually the next day because things that maybe sounded great the night before read as stupid the next day. As far as new stories, I always make sure I have a few chapters written before I post anything.

Man I want to finish that so bad... when I moved I lost my notes so now I'm having a really hard time remembering what it supposed to be happening.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 12:04:12 PM »

^Maybe if you reread you'll remember? ???
~*Dee*~