Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I have kind of exciting news, and need your help!!!  (Read 4128 times)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
I have kind of exciting news, and need your help!!!
« on: March 23, 2008, 02:14:28 PM »

Ok, so yesterday I was asked to interview Stephenie Meyer (author of the Twilight series)  for an article I get to write for Eliza magazine!

I'm kind of excited for several reasons, first off I was totally flattered that I was asked to do it. Secondly, I know it's just an article, but it will be the first time I'm published, and third, I happen to LOVE the Twilight series and am excited that I get to chat up the author and write a story/review of her and the series.

I'm really kind of nervous though. Does that make me a dork? My writing experience is all in telling stories. I've never really interviewed someone before and writing an article is a lot different. I have been thinking of several different takes I could do on the piece, but I'm not sure exactly what to ask.

Any ideas? lol. Any suggestions? Anyone read the book? Any specific questions you would want answered? Or, better yet, if you had to opportunity to chat with a best-selling author, what would you ask?

If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

AJsKellyMouse

• Minion of Mayhem
Re: I have kind of exciting news, and need your help!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 02:17:06 PM »

Congrats!!  That's so exciting!  I wouldn't even know where to begin with something like that so I will be of no help to you.  I just wanted to say congrats!
~Kelly~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 09:42:09 PM »

Ooh, that is exciting! Since you like the books so much. :) Congratulation s.

Hmmmmm.... I guess I would ask why she decided to write in that genre... What inspired her characters... If her characters ever changed the books from her original intentions... Things like that. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 10:17:04 PM »

Wow, that is really cool, Kelly - congrats!!!

As far as suggestions, I have no idea what to tell you... I haven't read the book, and I don't have much experience interviewing or writing articles.  I like the idea of asking other people what they would want you to ask.  How much time do you have to prepare for the interview?  If you could find more readers of the book and get their input, that would be cool!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 10:29:07 PM »

well you guys are no help!

lol. I have some time so I think it'll be ok. I read a couple of other interviews that were posted on line just to see what others have done. Found a really interesting one with JK Rowling...   But yeah, I actually know quite a few people that have read the books and I'm sure I'll ask them all.   
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 10:38:46 PM »

where's Saka? She's our resident journalism girl isn't she? That's kind of like writing articles and stuff, right?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 10:45:21 PM »

aww congrats. I have no idea who this person is and I haven't read any of her books but since you're a fan just go at it like you're a fan. I have never really interviewed anyone besides doing my oprah thing lol so i'm not really any help either.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 11:09:23 PM »

well you guys are no help!

Hidoiiiii, Kelly! :'( I posted questions for you to use. :'(
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 11:12:01 PM »

aww congrats. I have no idea who this person is and I haven't read any of her books but since you're a fan just go at it like you're a fan. I have never really interviewed anyone besides doing my oprah thing lol so i'm not really any help either.

aww, but we love your Oprah thing! lol maybe I should just go steal some of your questions!

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 07:24:44 AM »

If I knew anything about this person I would definitely help you out given that I have done many an interview but I don't even know who they are :\

I'm used to interviews for radio, which are different than for print but I will do my best! You need to know whether you're going to talk about her or about the books. Obviously if you choose one or the other you can squeeze in a couple different questions but you don't want to make it too long, and bombard her with questions. So if you ask about the book, then the questions about her should pertain to the writing.

As a fan of the books ask her things you want to know, and think that the reader would want to know: what inspires her?, was finishing the books a challenge or did the characters just fall onto the page?, what are her plans for sequels? (I have no idea if there are more planned in this series lol), has writing always been a passion of hers? if the books were made into a movie who could she envision the characters being portrayed by?

... stuff like that lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 09:26:33 AM »

ask her who she likes more: Edward or Jacob lol

that's really super exciting that you get to interview her! is it in person or over the phone? either way, that's awesome that you get to do that!
Sarah

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 12:06:59 PM »

ask her who she likes more: Edward or Jacob lol

that's really super exciting that you get to interview her! is it in person or over the phone? either way, that's awesome that you get to do that!

dude... the answer is Edward.    oh wait, that's me.  But I only just started Eclipse after I moved. haha I'm on chapter 2 right now. I'll be done by the end of the week so then we can gossip about the third book. I still think you're crazy though. How can you like Jacob more? I love Edward!  I'd WAAYYY Rather be a vampire than a werewolf!

oh, and mare, julilly... she's the one that writes the vampire romance books I was talking about not that long ago. kind of a cool coincidence that I was asked to do this only like a month after I discovered the books. But at least I'm familiar with her work. Anyhoo there's only 3 books so far and the 4th is due out this fall and they're making a movie of the first one. (which I'm convinced they are going to ruin.)

and thanks Julilly. That's actually what I'm trying to figure out. If the article is going to be about her or the books. the editor said to go with what ever feels like it has more story. personally, as a writer I would want to ask her about her process and how she comes up with it and why she went certain ways with it,  but then, I'm a writer. Is that what other people would want to hear, or just me? Ya know?

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 12:53:44 PM »

dude... the answer is Edward.    oh wait, that's me.  But I only just started Eclipse after I moved. haha I'm on chapter 2 right now. I'll be done by the end of the week so then we can gossip about the third book. I still think you're crazy though. How can you like Jacob more? I love Edward!  I'd WAAYYY Rather be a vampire than a werewolf!

psh. if you don't feel anything for Jacob at the end of Eclipse, you have no heart lol actually, a better question than the one about edward or jacob would be: did you mean to make Bella a character that many of your readers are starting to dislike?

my 14 year old cousins love the books, are torn between edward and jacob, and can't stand Bella, which is funny since the series is in her first person POV lol She's just turned into a whining little girl who wants everything her way and doesn't care how that affects the people around her. I guess that would be MY first question if I were asking Stephanie Meyer...'course, I don't know how interesting that would be to the readers of such an interview.

I think if you do a mix of questions between her writing process, how she came up with the series, and then one or two questions about her take on her own characters and plots, it'll make for a good, varied interview. I think more people would enjoy reading that...but that's just my thinking on it.

yeah...where ARE you? i write you a freaking letter on yahoo, pour my heart out (lol), and am sad that you were too busy to read it *sniffs* you don't LOOOOOOOOVEEE meeeee!! *bawls*
Sarah

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 01:05:09 PM »

personally, as a writer I would want to ask her about her process and how she comes up with it and why she went certain ways with it,  but then, I'm a writer. Is that what other people would want to hear, or just me? Ya know?

That sounds more interesting to me too. lmao

Maybe you should ask people who aren't writers what they think would be more interesting. lol
~*Dee*~

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 01:32:25 PM »

yeah...where ARE you? i write you a freaking letter on yahoo, pour my heart out (lol), and am sad that you were too busy to read it *sniffs* you don't LOOOOOOOOVEEE meeeee!! *bawls*

what are you talking about? I'm on yahoo all the time. You never talk to me anymore. I wrote you like 500 novels on IM the other day and not even a hello in return. Did you not get them? Are our YIM's not working or something? Seriously, the other day like 500 novel length IM's... nothing... e-mail me or something because this letter you speak of, I don't think I got it. Did you get mine?
Pages: [1] 2