Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: Getting help with stories!!  (Read 2406 times)

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
Getting help with stories!!
« on: March 31, 2008, 05:47:48 AM »

So I am really bad at finishing stories, I usually get stuck in the middle, for those that have read my stories...I'm a bad updater (If that's a word) *turns red* anyways I was wondering how collaborations and maybe getting help (Don't know if that is the correct word to say) from other authors would work. I've come to the horrid conclusion that I may never finish some of my stories, because instead of thinking of them, I just keep getting more and more IDEAS! *Runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off, while screaming* Lately I can only think of one of my long stories, but these short stories keep popping up and I end up writing them with my time. HEEEELLLP!!   :o :o

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: Getting help with stories!!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 02:28:21 PM »

Well, if an idea is really nagging you, get it out of the way. If you like it, but it's not too terribly alarming, see if you can work it in to your longer story. At least, that's the way I see it working. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 02:36:35 PM »

Duuuh! You know I had never thought about it that way. Thanks!

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 02:44:32 PM »

It's the way most plot twists come about. lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

alota_cookin

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 03:24:54 PM »

You know...I have had the same issue before! As a matter of fact that was how 'Protection' got started ( as a passing thought for a short story) but it ended up turning into something longer. Anyways, now I have ANOTHER idea brewing. I had to put down my foot though...I have 4 longer stories that I am working on and I told myself I have to finish at least one before starting another. It's actually working out for me because I am getting more and more thoughts for the new idea so now (when i DO write it) it will be longer and better AND it forces me to focus on my current stories becasue I want to get the new one started.

Does any of that make sense? Well, it does in MY mind, at least. LOL I don't know if it's any help or not but I figured I would ramble my 2 cents. *shruggs*

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 08:24:20 PM »

hrmm, i'm not sure colloboration is the best way to go if you have a hard time finishing stories because if it's more of a you handing off your story to someone else and have them finish it, i'm sure in the end it would be kind of disappointing to you if the end doesn't match what you have envisioned in your head. If it's more of a well if I work with someone i'll HAVE to finish it, i'm sure there are a lot of people who have collaborated on stories that could probably tell you that doesn't always happen.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 01:06:22 AM »

I agree with Mare. Collabing is actually a lot harder to finish than not, because it's easier to come up with excuses. Plus, it might be hard to find someone who wants to jump in in the middle. It would be too hard to keep it going  in the same style and tone and you probably already have something set in your mind for the rest of it. It would be hard to get that idea across. Collabing can be a fin experience though, and if you're just looking for a new approach for writing, who knows it could work for you. But I'd definitely start from the beginning and come up with a story idea together after you've found a writing partner. Don't expect that that will necessarily help you to finish though, sadly, that just usually not the case.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

MaggieW

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 10:46:13 PM »

You know...I have had the same issue before! As a matter of fact that was how 'Protection' got started ( as a passing thought for a short story) but it ended up turning into something longer. Anyways, now I have ANOTHER idea brewing. I had to put down my foot though...I have 4 longer stories that I am working on and I told myself I have to finish at least one before starting another. It's actually working out for me because I am getting more and more thoughts for the new idea so now (when i DO write it) it will be longer and better AND it forces me to focus on my current stories becasue I want to get the new one started.

Does any of that make sense? Well, it does in MY mind, at least. LOL I don't know if it's any help or not but I figured I would ramble my 2 cents. *shruggs*

That made perfect sense to me.  I've got one myself  (the "Gathering" outline, for those who've read my stuff) that I want to work on, but I've challenged myself to finish rewriting  - and finish - Redeeming the Fallen - and possibly find others that I haven't finished yet before I tackle Gathering.
"What's life without a few dragons?" Ron - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day which says, 'I will try again tomorrow.' - Author Unknown

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you."  ~Ray Bradbury

alota_cookin

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 12:09:32 AM »

That made perfect sense to me.  I've got one myself  (the "Gathering" outline, for those who've read my stuff) that I want to work on, but I've challenged myself to finish rewriting  - and finish - Redeeming the Fallen - and possibly find others that I haven't finished yet before I tackle Gathering.

YAY  ;D Someone understands me! I feel so...understoo d! lol. I always have new ideas rattling around in my head and sometimes I jump into them too quickly and get stuck. *shruggs* So I figure I am going to TRY to get myself down to having only, like, two stories going at a time. Because, like I said, I have four going right now and I find myself mainly focusing on 'Protection' (because I am getting a lot of good respose to it), sometimes on 'Dark Nights', rarely on 'Mended Mistakes', and 'Best Friends With Single Parents' has come to a dead stop! LMAO  so with that i say: YAY TO CHALLENGING OURSELVES!!!!!  :D ;D :D