Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Featured Story of the Month for April 2008 - Nothing Gold Can Stay by Maggie  (Read 15492 times)

MaggieW

• Captain of Commotion

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?
Well, this one might be kind of obvious, but the story was inspired by both "The Outsiders" and the musical "West Side Story".

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?
Oh, gosh, I can't remember.  Maybe Louise can, she's got a better memory than me.  Not more than a year, I can say that with surety; maybe less even.

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.
Well, considering the summary on AC doesn't give away much at all (LOL)
"Like any gang, the Garrison clan look out for each other.  Life isn't easy for any of them, and the competition from the Alley Cats - the fights, expanding their territory - doesn't make it any better.  But lines are crossed, and a loved one is violated and murdered.  They won't take it sitting down."

4) If you could cast this story as a movie who would play the main roles and why?
Ooh, this one's going to take me a while, I think.  Who's either a teenager, early adulthood, or can play a part in those age groups?  Maybe Angelo Spizziri (Joel from "The Rookie" with Dennis Quaid) as Brian (I mean, seriously!!  Get a good look at that kid and tell me he doesn't look like Brian at first glance!)... I don't know much about her since her graduation from Spy Kids, but maybe Alexa Vega as Brian's girl Precious.  Maybe Ryan Phillipe as Jim (Lance).  Ooh, Hayden Christensen might make a good Harry or Texas.  Since I can't think of anyone else right off, I might leave the rest to the reader's imagination.

5) Have you ever thought of giving up on the story and if you did what made you continue to work on it?
No, I don't believe I ever thought about giving up on Nothing Gold.  If I ever did, I just remembered how much I love The Outsiders and West Side Story and plowed through.  Of course, Louise was a great help in bouncing off ideas as we worked together.  And, I suppose, having split up the characters, sharing a couple, made it easier too.

6) What was your writing process? (Outline, make it up as you go along, the characters wrote it, I am Tonja and plagerized lol)
Well, I didn't have an official outline, but I did save our chats when we would discuss the story.  There were definitely occasions that some of our characters wrote the story, I think.

7) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?
I have to pick just one?

8 ) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?
Pah!  Easy; Jason, leader of the Alley Cats.  As for why, you'll have to discover for yourself just what he does to be my least favorite.

9) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?  Yes, all the boys are in it.  So is, believe it or not, James Lance Bass!  Brian is the only one allowed to call him "Jim," as you'll find out.  And Brian's brother Harry's in it too.

10) If we like this story...then we'd love what story? (Could be by you or someone else) and obviously tell us why lol

Hmm... "Drowning" by  BSB_Writer.  You can feel Brian's despair, AJ's worry and guilt that he hadn't confronted Brian earlier.   Louise's "Eclipse" and "Garden".  If it hasn't already been done, "5 Backstreet Boys In Search of a Plot".  I couldn't stop laughing for that one.  Honey's "Welcome to My Heart" (which has probably already been done, I don't know).  As for mine... "What You See is What You Get."  It's a BSB/X-Men crossover, two subjects that I happen to enjoy.  Some of it has gone through a couple of revisions and it's quite different from what I had envisioned in my head.  But don't stories usually go that way?
"What's life without a few dragons?" Ron - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day which says, 'I will try again tomorrow.' - Author Unknown

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you."  ~Ray Bradbury

MaggieW

• Captain of Commotion

So I finished the story and I just have to say that it was wonderful. It's a fantastic story line, with amazing writing. I couldn't tell the different between either of your writing styles because it all flowed so well. It only took me two "sittings" to read this entire story (I read half earlier in the week and finished the other half last night) and I was disappointed when there wasn't anymore to read, though it ended perfectly.

I loved the whole gang concept and how with each individual character came a different back story, and I really liked how you guys switched off the chapters with a different point of view. I know I've said this before, but it was very Outsiders-esque and I LOVE that! The comaraderie that the characters had was fascinating. They were just one big family and it made the reader really appreciate them as people and feel connected to them in some way, as stupid as that may sound.

I loved every character. I loved the setting, the different story lines, the relationships, the heartache, the development. I just loved everything.

Wonderful story. I enjoyed every minute of it! Great job! Definitely deserved to be featured.

Really, you couldn't tell the difference?  Well, I guess I'm not that surprised.  Louise has given me immense help with writing since we first met.

Switching off characters and chapters made it easier for me, I think.  If I'd tried to tackle this one on my own instead of asking Louise to collaborate with me, it might not have come out as quickly and as well as it did.  Though - I must confess - I had to reread the story in order to help answer questions and comments, and I noticed a couple of slight mistakes which I am currently editing.

They were just one big family and it made the reader really appreciate them as people and feel connected to them in some way, as stupid as that may sound.

That's not stupid.  Isn't that one of many points of a good story, to connect to the characters in some way?  And as I answered in the questionnaire, our story was inspired by The Outsiders and West Side Story.

I've occasionally thought of a sequel that would take place a few years down the road, but I have no idea what could possibly happen, so I've never done anything about it.
"What's life without a few dragons?" Ron - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day which says, 'I will try again tomorrow.' - Author Unknown

MaggieW

• Captain of Commotion

I'm here with a few Oprah questions for you. lol I was going to wait because I didn't want you to feel bogged down.

How did the two of you come to work together?

Where did you come up with the concept of this story?

Well, I'm just now noticing your Oprah questions, Mare.  *Sorry*

With my poor memory, the answer to your first question would have to honestly be "I'm not sure."  I remember we had met years ago on ff.net.  At least I think it was through ff.net.  (Let me think... my family was living in Perry Hall when Millenium came out, I think... then we moved to Rosedale during or after 2000 - that I remember because we were still there in '99 and in Rosedale when the Towers were attacked)  So we've known each other for about eight years or so... (My gosh, has it really been that long?)  As for how we started working together, I just can't remember.  :( :( :(   Ooh I wish she were online so I could ask her!!

And like I said, I wanted to do a story like The Outsiders and West Side Story.  I think this was our first collab, too.  (We've got another one that we haven't touched in about... oh... three years maybe.)  In this story I've got AJ being older than Brian because, I think, it just seemed to fit.  Well, either that or I just plain wanted to in order to add more Brian angst.  ;)  You know, I don't even remember how I/we ended up deciding on Precious' fate...  I know that I wanted to have a rumble, but you need a good reason to call a council to decide on it. So maybe that's how I came up with what happened to Precious.  (Yes, I'm leaving out what happens just in case there are those who read this before the story.)  Portions of the story came as we wrote.  Well, most of it was discussed in chat.

MaggieW

• Captain of Commotion

*crickets chirp*  So did I scare everybody off once I answered the questions?  LOL

MonkeyAbu

*crickets chirp*  So did I scare everybody off once I answered the questions?  LOL

Aw, I don't think you've scared everybody off. They're probably just busy enjoying your story! :) I know I haven't commented on the story yet, but I've got 7 1/2 more hours of my over night shift ahead of me, so I plan on getting some reading done. I can't wait to start reading it! ;D

DaniGiggles

• Captain of Commotion
  • I shall call him squishy and he shall be mine

Crap, I've been meaning to respond, I'm sorry it's taken me so long!

Dude, I think Hayden Christensen would make an amazing Harry or Texas! And I think it's cause of his role in Factory Girl... I kinda envisioned his character with the accent and everything for Texas, so that's hilarious that you picked him for this. Weird stuff! You should throw in Jake Gyllenhaal and Garrett Hedlund for good measure. Make it a modern day Outsiders with all of hot young hollywood... I would totally go see it (for the amazing plot of course, not just the gorgeous men everywhere lmao). Now that I think of it, they really should make another movie like that... would be cool.

I find it surprising that you didn't have an outline because it flowed very well and you definitely had a goal in mind. It seemed like everything just built upon itself to get to the ending, so great job with that!

If you can't pick just one favorite character, maybe pick a couple? I'm curious as to who you liked to write most, or which character you related to/liked most of all.

What was your favorite scene? I know that when I'm writing, I tend to have a few scenes in mind that I just can't wait to get to, but I have to do a bunch of filler chapters until I get there. Did you have anything like that for this story?

How did you and Louise decide who was going to write what scene/character?

If you ever do think about a sequel, I'm so there! I would love to see how they all ended up, especially with Brian dealing with Precious, and Kevin with his dad, and Harry trying to make enough money... well, I guess it would be nice to see how every character ended up lol.

Becca: I *so* flirt with you in math.
Evan: Tell me about it. I - same-sies.
~Superbad

MonkeyAbu

I just finished reading the story and I can assure you that it has already gone under my favorite stories list. From the moment I started reading it to the point it ended, I didn't want it to stop.

I want to compliment the both of you by saying that you achieved a deep emotional power from the simplicity of your writing, and when I say "simplicity", I don't mean that as a bad thing, quite the opposite actually. Some authors use such an extravagant form of writing with some stories, and that works with certain plots, but with "Nothing Gold" the simplicity allowed for such a deeper impact upon the reader, that I personally think you achieved so much more then you would have had your used style of writing reflected an outright overdone exquisitness. What I'm trying to say is that when authors try too hard to make some stories sound overally extravagant (word usage, sentence structure, etc...), it takes away from the overall impact the reader experiences.

I was especially touched by the "family" development between the gang. You go into just enough detail about the dysfunctional characteristic s of each member's personal family, yet you created an "adopted" family, no matter how dysfunctional as a whole they are, that made way for a sense of normalcy in each of their lives. Family is so much more then blood and you expressed that perfectly through the bond of the Garrison gang. Sometimes having a band of friends you know you can rely on that will watch your back and help you out at all costs is more of a "normal" family then the one you are actually related to. Like Dani said, the camaraderie between the characters really allows the readers to appreciate the characters as people and connect to each of them in some way.

I know you said you don't have a sequel planned, but I really hope you do eventually get one worked up. I could definitely see some development of their lives after all of these events, should a sequel ever take place! Please consider it! :) You can count on me to read it if you do!

I loved the story and am glad it was featured as story of the month. It certainly deserved it! :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

aww excellent thoughts.

And Dani asked come great questions. :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

MaggieW

• Captain of Commotion

Dude, I think Hayden Christensen would make an amazing Harry or Texas! And I think it's cause of his role in Factory Girl... I kinda envisioned his character with the accent and everything for Texas, so that's hilarious that you picked him for this. Weird stuff! You should throw in Jake Gyllenhaal and Garrett Hedlund for good measure. Make it a modern day Outsiders with all of hot young hollywood... I would totally go see it (for the amazing plot of course, not just the gorgeous men everywhere lmao). Now that I think of it, they really should make another movie like that... would be cool.

I had to look up Garrett Hedlund and now it's decided: Garrett as Harry, Hayden as Texas.  Jake Gyllenhaal.... hmmm... He might be a good Howie.  But I need a Kevin too.  Who would make a good Kevin?  I mean besides the man himself.

If you can't pick just one favorite character, maybe pick a couple? I'm curious as to who you liked to write most, or which character you related to/liked most of all.

What was your favorite scene?
  My favorite would honestly have to be the whole of chapter 21.  I didn't want it from any particular POV, so, if I remember right, Louise suggested an outside point of view, which turned into what you see.

How did you and Louise decide who was going to write what scene/character?

Well, we each took our favorites: Louise got Kevin, I took Brian.  She also wanted AJ and Lance, and we shared Harry.  And that just left Howie and Texas, which Louise took.  You know, I just realized that Texas only has one chapter.

If you ever do think about a sequel, I'm so there! I would love to see how they all ended up, especially with Brian dealing with Precious, and Kevin with his dad, and Harry trying to make enough money... well, I guess it would be nice to see how every character ended up lol.

Well, the only brief idea I had was to focus more on Julia at their age.  I don't know what else would possibly happen, so if you guys really really want a sequel, I'll be needing ideas.  It does sound fun, though.

My little brother is reading "The Outsiders" for his homeschooling - mom and I are taking turns reading aloud, really, and I am loving the story once again!  We're at the point where Ponyboy is waiting for news about Johnny and Dally at the hospital after the church burned down in Windrixville.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Is there anything you'd do differently if you had a chance to rewrite this story?

Do you prefer writing with someone or writing a story by yourself?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

DaniGiggles

• Captain of Commotion

Hehe, I'm glad Garrett Hedlund met up with your Harry expectations ;) Who would play Kevin? Hmm... good question... Josh Hartnett? There's really no basis for this suggestion. I just watched a movie with him and couldn't get over how absolutely gorgeous he is, so there you go lol! I was trying to think of a dark hair brooding type... OH OH OH OH! David Boreanez??? I can totally see that. Man, I wish this movie would be made....

It makes sense to pick your favorites while writing the chapters. I would have picked Brian too ;) I didn't noticed that Texas only has one chapter until you said so. Same with the Alley Cats, but that's okay.

And focusing on Julia at their age would be interesting. You could delve into who's still around (maybe a few of the guys have moved away, or some tragic stuff has happened to a couple of them...) and see how Brian and Harry's "gang" may affect her. Maybe there's a girl gang and she becomes a part of it? Pink Ladies! lol Total Grease moment right there. I know this is only a couple random ideas with no real meat to them, but there's definitely a lot of potential there for sure.

Here's a question, if you could change anything you did with the story (the plot, the ending, characters, certain scenes, dialogue) what would you change? Also, do you feel like you didn't add as much as you wanted and if so, what would you put in the story that wasn't there before? (i.e. More Texas chapters, more characters, more scenes with Precious, etc)

Wow, those questions were wordy and confusing, so sorry if you're staring at the computer screen going "Huh?" lol

~Superbad

MonkeyAbu

^ Watch out Mare, I think Dani is trying to hijack your Oprah-like-ness! LoL. But they're good questions. :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

and the exact same one too! lol

MaggieW

• Captain of Commotion

Hehe, I'm glad Garrett Hedlund met up with your Harry expectations ;) Who would play Kevin? Hmm... good question... Josh Hartnett?

Josh would do quite well, I think.  :)  Now I need an AJ and a Nick.  Ooh, and Precious.  And Jason... :P

And focusing on Julia at their age would be interesting. You could delve into who's still around (maybe a few of the guys have moved away, or some tragic stuff has happened to a couple of them...) and see how Brian and Harry's "gang" may affect her. Maybe there's a girl gang and she becomes a part of it? Pink Ladies! lol Total Grease moment right there.

I tried to watch Grease once but didn't get beyond the drive-in scene after Sandy runs off after she slaps Danny for moving to fast and he starts singing "Sandy, why'd you leave me?"  Uh, hello?  Moron!

Here's a question, if you could change anything you did with the story (the plot, the ending, characters, certain scenes, dialogue) what would you change? Also, do you feel like you didn't add as much as you wanted and if so, what would you put in the story that wasn't there before? (i.e. More Texas chapters, more characters, more scenes with Precious, etc)

I would definitely rewrite my Alley Cats chapter.  I was looking over it this month and went "Yuck!  How overdone and corny."  Probably some basic editing too, grammar, maybe a tiny bit of rewriting, I don't know.

And you ladies are really getting me interested in writing a sequel.

Is there anything you'd do differently if you had a chance to rewrite this story?

It depends on the story I'm writing.  For Nothing Gold, I can't imagine writing that whole thing by myself, if I'd get it done at all.  For one thing, it would have taken about three times as long as it had when Louise and I wrote it.  And like I said, I would redo the Alley Cats chapter.  Not sure what else I'd redo; I'd have to look over the story again.  Louise's chapters I'd leave untouched of course, since I didn't write them.

Oh, and we finally finished The Outsiders today.  Funny, but when I was reading to Patrick, my voice broke when Dally went down in gunfire.  I never cry during this book.  Just like in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, I didn't cry when I read about (Spoiler for any that haven't read it!) Fred's death but when I read it to the family, I could barely finish the chapter for being choked up.

DaniGiggles

• Captain of Commotion

and the exact same one too! lol

*slaps forehead* Oh crap, I'm such a douche! I didn't even see that question. I'm sorry Mare! That was a total blonde moment sitch for me. Sorry about that  :-\ I didn't mean to step on any toes.
~Superbad
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4