Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: in-between stories.  (Read 4060 times)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
in-between stories.
« on: April 05, 2008, 12:39:08 AM »

Ok, so I finished Movie last week, and now I am having the damnedest time deciding what to do next. Does anyone have any specific routine they do when going from one story to the next? Or how do you get inspired to take the dive into your next project? I've got a whole list of ideas and I can't pick one of them and at the same time I keep thinking I should just come up with something new... I dunno... I hate being without stories to write. Not that I"m without stories. I'm in the middle of two others at the moment and just can't seem to kick my brain back into them. Ideas? Anyone?
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
Re: in-between stories.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 12:41:31 AM »

You are asking the wrong person, sister lol

Actually, someone recently told me that if I ever feel a strong urge to write something, no matter what story it was in and no matter how many other things I have to write, I should just write it or else you risk losing it forever. I think, if I were you, I'd write whatever I feel most strongly inclined to write, and then, after that, see where your brain takes you...
Sarah

Sinara

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Unbreakable bonds form in innocence of childhood.
    • Set It Off
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 12:53:02 AM »

I have that problem almost every day of my life. Even when I am in the middle of a story - like I am now - I tend to get inspired for other stuff or have a million other things on the side to work on. I have a whole list of stories to work on, but I just don't have the inspiration to work on them all sometimes. And then, when I do get struck by inspiration, it's usually not for the story I am currently working on.

For No Strings Attached, I have hit a dry spell, but I am becoming super inspired for my next story, United In Grief. I say just go with whatever you feel has the strongest backbone - the one you feel like you are most likely to finish. I like to go with the stories that I have planned out thoroughly so that I know where I am headed from the first word I write. The ones you spend more time planning out and working the kinks out of tend to be your best stories because you work hard pre-planning and then you work hard during the "in progress" stage because you already know what's going to happen. It's just figuring out how to get there that takes time.

Anyway, I say go with whatever you feel strongest about or the one you have planned out the most.
- Katie -

Live passionately.. . and hold fast to your dreams. Live life with no regrets.

AJsKellyMouse

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 01:24:03 AM »

I have to agree with you two-go with the one you feel more strongly about and that you think you are most likely to finish.  I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with a huge list of stories though.  I'm going to have the same issue when I eventually finish Unexpected Love...I won't know where to go next.  Good luck choosing something!
~Kelly~

Sinara

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Unbreakable bonds form in innocence of childhood.
    • Set It Off
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 01:28:57 AM »

It also always helps to bounce your ideas off on someone else to see which story THEY are most interested in. I tend to write the stories I think more people will read because their feedback inspires me to write. I love getting feedback.

So if you have someone to bounce your ideas off of, go ahead and see which one they think will have the most response from the general reading public.
- Katie -

Live passionately.. . and hold fast to your dreams. Live life with no regrets.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 01:33:05 AM »

Write what you're inspired for, if that means a new fic, go with it. I have a couple sitting on the side, but an idea just wouldn't leave me the heck alone, so I went with it. And now I'm 14 chapters in it and I only started it in November, which is really good for me lol.

Sometimes you gotta just follow your muse.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 01:54:08 AM »

Sometimes you gotta just follow your muse.

yeah, but that's the problem. My muse isn't speaking yet! Nothing is really jumping out at me. Maybe I will try bouncing ideas... see if any of them light my fire. haha
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 10:57:36 AM »

Kelly, I'm having the exact same problem.  Or at least I was, before I decided to go back to the Broken novel idea.  Although now that break is over, I haven't touched that again either.  I think my muse just needs a good kick in the ass so it will make up its mind about what it wants to write.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 01:59:09 PM »

Kelly, I'm having the exact same problem.  Or at least I was, before I decided to go back to the Broken novel idea.  Although now that break is over, I haven't touched that again either.  I think my muse just needs a good kick in the ass so it will make up its mind about what it wants to write.

*kick's julie's muse's ass*

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 01:59:21 PM »

did that help?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 03:03:40 PM »

Hm, I dunno yet... but thanks!  I'll let you know! :D
~Julie

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 06:52:33 PM »

I dunno if I've ever had that problem because I rarely finish stories to begin with lol. After UMS the logical progression was to the sequel and after that ? I kind of try to come up with some kind of line up. Even though ALTOS is nowhere near being done. (It'll be an epic at this rate. May even have to break it into another story) I think I've narrowed it down to writing a new story idea that's been bothering me a lot lately or possibly a prequel to UMS depending on what my readers interest. I guess as everyone has been saying, study your list and see what idea pos out to you the most right now. I wish I could be more helpful.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 10:07:34 PM »

yeah, but that's the problem. My muse isn't speaking yet! Nothing is really jumping out at me. Maybe I will try bouncing ideas... see if any of them light my fire. haha

Want me to go into random mode and spark a new story idea for you? lol
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 10:45:27 PM »

did that help?

I think it actually did help a little, cause I wrote something today!
~Julie

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 12:24:25 PM »

I think it actually did help a little, cause I wrote something today!

aww, it helped me too! I wrote something too! Yay!
Pages: [1] 2