Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Warning for teachers and other professionals...  (Read 6968 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Warning for teachers and other professionals...
« on: April 14, 2008, 09:45:02 PM »

I'm a member of NEA, the National Education Association, and they send me a monthly magazine called NEA Today.  This month's issue has an article called "The Whole World (Wide Web) is Watching," and it's about the possibility of losing your job because of what you post online - on your MySpace, Facebook, blog, personal website, whatever.

One of my college professors warned us about MySpace and similar sites - as a teacher, you really shouldn't have one, unless it's totally private, because students can and will find it and exploit the content if it's made available to them, and it can get you in trouble if you're posting pictures of yourself and other content that is inappropriate.

But along with MySpace, etc., the article also mentioned a band director who was fired because of his blog, which included "musings about sex, drugs, and depression" and an English teacher who lost her job after "composing and posting sexually explicit poetry" on her site.  The latter especially made me think of fanfic and the sexually explicit material some of us write and post in our stories.

We think of fanfic as a harmless hobby, in most cases one that is personal and maybe even private to us - I know that I would never let my family read any of my fanfics, and my "real life" friends don't even know I write.  But what if a colleague or a boss or, in the case of teachers, a student or parent somehow stumbled onto them?

Reading this article made me really glad I don't write under my own name.  When I started posting my fanfics online, I was like 14, and I made up a pen name mostly to keep my friends from finding out, since they were Bsb fans at the time and I had kinda turned them on to fanfic.  I was also just leary about weirdos online getting my personal info.  I could never have thought ahead eight years to when I was a teacher... truthfully, I probably never thought I'd still be writing Backstreet Boys fanfic in my twenties LOL.  But now I'm doubly glad I made that decision.

So a warning for those who do write under their own names... just be careful what you post that can be traced back to your name.  I've heard that a lot of employers Google their employees' or potential employees' names, or look for them on MySpace, etc.  You probably don't want your name to come up attached to some NC-17 story you wrote any more than you want them finding drunken, half-naked pictures of you on MySpace.  Pen names are a good thing.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
Re: Warning for teachers and other professionals...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 10:06:57 PM »

Amen.

Pen names (or just fake names if you don't write, like me) are good.

Umm... I have nothing to really say about this other than I agree, lol.
~ Amy.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 02:18:32 PM »

I always worry about that too.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 02:29:47 PM »

I never let my last name slip anywhere. Rose is a popular enough name, so that's good with me lol. Cause yeah I heard those job horror stories, so my blog only has my first name, and all that loveliness  :D
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 02:30:37 PM »

This is something that I've thought a lot about.  A girl I know got kicked out of a major Private School here because someone found her Livejournal and showed it to the administration .  It's really scary stuff... I had to twist Derek's arm to get a facebook, and he's still very weary about it because he's scared that he'll be discovered and his career will be destroyed.  Not that he does anything really awful, but you never know. 

The fanfic thing scares me a little, it's easy for people to find my AC profile.  I go by Sakabelle on every single forum I visit, so if you google that... it comes up.  Not that I use my online handle for anything work or school related, but it's still creepy to think about!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 02:42:15 PM »

That's why I try to stay as private as possible on the net.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 02:43:23 PM »

That's why I try to stay as private as possible on the net.
couldn't they trace you cause of Mel's Tree though? Not to give stalkers ideas lmao.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 02:45:54 PM »

yes, and that really unsettles me. It always has lol

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 02:51:11 PM »

Aww poor Mare, I should genetically alter a groundhog so he can be your bodyguard lol.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 02:52:51 PM »

it's seriously one of my biggest fears that one of my kids will read my fanfics and make the connection that it's me. The one good thing for me anyway and not so much the boys, the kids really don't care about BSB so I think I'm safe. If I wrote Jonas Brothers fanfic i'd be in trouble though. lol

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 02:55:23 PM »

LOL I know, the Jonas Brothers are so today's BSB. I heard their song on the disney channel as I surfed channels and it reminded me of Nick's Heart Without A Home. Man I told one person I write this stuff, if anyone else found out, I'd die lol. Especially once I graduate and get a real job.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 02:58:41 PM »

The kids love the Jonas Brothers lol it's so cute because it does remind me of the old BSB days. I haven't told a soul about my fanfic writing. I was so afriad that after Mel's came out people would make the connection. Hrmm five brothers? the youngest one is Nicky? but no one has...phew!

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 03:15:49 PM »

Ahhh Jonas Brothers AHHH! I don't know if it's just me, but I'm so not "down" with the whole Disney on mainstream radio deal. Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana and JB are both on the radio non-stop whenever I turn it on, and it's so annoying. I've seen all the kids that are crazy about them, and I think it's great and all...but AHHHH.

It creeps me out to no end when 40+ year old women call up the stations and gush about how cute they think ___ Jonas is! OMG!!!

*gag*

Those women are old enough to be their mothers!! Not okay. They're definitely like the BSB of yesteryear...b ut I find them more annoying because they look and sound way younger than the BSB and 'N Sync did. And what is up with that one song of theirs sounding almost exactly like Nick's song??
Sarah

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 03:17:38 PM »

lmao.. I was talking to two girls that I know (they're around age 13/14) and trying to explain to them about the celebrities of the past.  I told them that their obsession with Fall Out Boy is like how I was with BSB, and one of the girls said "So does that mean Miley Cyrus is like the new Britney Spears?" LOL, I sure hope she's not!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 03:18:33 PM »

Well Nick and Justin were young when it started, so it's sorta the same. Or like Aaron Carter. I just hope these kids can handle it.

I'm not big on Miley Cyrus, but a friend of mine likes country so we had it on that station since he was driving... and a song by Miley and her dad came on. It wasn't bad. At least she has actual talent, which is more than I can say for 99% of the disney music bunch.

Pages: [1] 2 3