Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Warning for teachers and other professionals...  (Read 6967 times)

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Warning for teachers and other professionals...
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 03:23:27 PM »

Rose, I agree on the part about Justin and Nick but, for whatever reason, the Jonas Brothers just seem way younger than those two did back in '97. *shrugs* I guess it's their time now...

And, to not hijack this thread further, reading Julie's original post totally made me go back and check everywhere that I've used starbeamz2...u nfortunately, in EVERYTHING. Luckily, I've never used my last name anywhere but on facebook and that's a hyper, super secret profile...or as secretive as a facebook profile can get
Sarah

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 03:24:44 PM »

It goes in circles I guess. I'm still in shock NKOTB are back on the scene lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 04:27:30 PM »

You know, I think nicksgal is a pretty safe handle. lol

But yeah, my Facebook is totally private because I don't want my unfortunatenes s found out. I even detag pictures I don't support. lmao
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 08:36:25 PM »

In 2004 I lost my job because of something I had posted on LJ. It wasn't even a matter of someone finding me but my boss came across the LJ of a colleague and when he was checking out her friends list my most recent post came up.

I now never post anything that isn't friends only.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Kagoma

• Major Disruption
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »

How many Kagoma do people know? Plus I have three online names just in case for different sites. If you used your name as a screen name, then your a pretty brave person.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 05:29:20 PM »

In 2004 I lost my job because of something I had posted on LJ. It wasn't even a matter of someone finding me but my boss came across the LJ of a colleague and when he was checking out her friends list my most recent post came up.

I now never post anything that isn't friends only.

Wow... that is just scary.  It doesn't seem fair, but at least in the case of teachers, it makes sense.  If students would ever come across something inappropriate connected to you online, you'd have no chance of them still respecting you, and it's hard to manage a class that doesn't respect you.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 05:48:06 PM »

When I was student teaching we all got read the riot act about My Space because like two student teachers got kicked out of the program for innapropriate content on their My Space profile. Apparently a parent came across it. I've since set mine to private. It's kind of scary when 3rd and 4th graders in my district have My Spaces now. (Illegally of course but they have them) Not that I have anything bad on mine. I hardly use it. But there are some pictures of me taken while I was at a bar with a drink in my hand, so that's not exactly something I want my students to see. I also just quite frankly don't want them to be able to glimpse into my personal life like that. I think its innapropriate.

As far as the fan fiction goes, I've googled myself a while back and actually found some stories *grimaces* Old ones from like Bauhaus or something. I have since removed them. As someone pointed out, I don't think many of my students are reading BSB fan fic anyway and the only person who really calls me Mellz Bellz is my sister. So, I think I'm pretty safe. I try not to advertise to many people where exactly I teach either. If I was to write a novel though down the road, I think I'd use a pen name just so that it couldn't be tied back to me and impact my teaching career.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 07:10:16 PM »

^ It is frightening how many 9-year-olds have MySpaces!  One of my kids asked if she could get on MySpace at school once, so out of curiosity, I looked up some of my kids on there, and I was SHOCKED at how many of them I found.  Almost all of them had private profiles at least, but a lot of them used their first and last name as their username!!  Dumb!!!  Where are the parents??
~Julie

MonkeyAbu

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 08:52:30 PM »

Either I'm not important, or I've never done anything wrong, but I've googled myself and I can't find me... :-\

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 08:52:56 PM »

Wow... that is just scary.  It doesn't seem fair, but at least in the case of teachers, it makes sense.  If students would ever come across something inappropriate connected to you online, you'd have no chance of them still respecting you, and it's hard to manage a class that doesn't respect you.

I was a talk radio producer... so the public had no respect for me anyway
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 09:52:19 PM »

Aww LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2008, 11:53:44 PM »

I respect you. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 11:56:39 PM »

I just googled my name out of curiosity. I already knew this, but there was an actress with my same name. So when you google my name, she's the one that comes up, not me. :)
~*Dee*~

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
  • I have no idea what I'm getting myself into
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2008, 12:02:59 AM »

Wow... I wonder if that implies PPT's. I'm still in my teens, and I have a myspace and post stuff on there... well, nothing explicit of course, but now it makes me wonder if I have to be careful with who I befriend and all that jazz. I actually never really did think about that until this was mentioned. I definitely wouldn't want to lose my job over stuff about myspace or whatever. And as for the fanfic writing... I'm completely anonymous here, and I like to stay that way. Personal info is meant to be kept personal... and it's fun to kinda be myself, but kinda not be myself if that makes any sense, lol. I like remaining "mysterious" on forums and whatnot, but at the same time, just chat normally like I do. ;D Thanks for the heads up Mare!!
"Stories are often the lives we wish we could live."
~Me

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2008, 12:26:57 AM »

I looked up my name, and, apparently, I'm a really "sexy" model. I even have my own website lol Although, I'm a little on the really skinny side, and I should probably eat more because those pics make me look like Skeletor :D

Actually, there was one thing that popped up that really was me, and that had to do with me being on the School Board for my old school district. I think I'm good :)
Sarah
Pages: 1 [2] 3