Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Review Challenge!  (Read 8189 times)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
The Review Challenge!
« on: April 19, 2008, 02:01:52 PM »

Ok, this one isn't actually a writing challenge. Well, it is, it does involve some writing, but it's writing about someone else's story. We all know that like a hundred more people actually read stories than actually review them, and we're probably ALL guilty of this. My challenge isn't necessarily to go and read a new story so that you can leave reviews. (though I would encourage that too!) My challenge is to simply leave a review on a story that maybe you just been quietly reading.

There has ben a lull in fanfic these days and I think a lot of us feel that there just isn't as much hype as there used to be. I think that getting excited about writing again could easily start with just knowing that people are still reading stories.

SO for this challenge, go to a story that you've been reading. (Maybe you haven't reviewed it at all and the author doesn't even know you're reading it, or maybe you're a faithful reviewer every chapter, doesn't matter)   Just leave them a review and then copy and paste that review here, letting us know which author and story it's for.

I figure if we post them here we can see what others are reading and it might spark some conversation. Plus, there are a lot of people who always say they can't ever think of something to say so they don't review. Well if we have some examples then we can see what kind of reviews will be helpful to the author!   

I hope we all try this one because I think we all need to review more and I really do think reviews could help raise the spirits around here! Good luck everyone!

I'll start, but first I have to go read a new chapter. hehehe and there is one in particular I have been slacking on.  pbox here I come!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
Re: The Review Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 02:03:12 PM »

OH, and I don't want to hear any BS about not having time!! If you have enough time to browse these boards and read this challenge, then I know you have time to review a story and post it here!!!!  *yes I'm using my angry mommy voice right now*
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 02:16:08 PM »

I think this is a great idea for a challenge. I am not reading anything at the moment but I could always find an old story I did read and post a review from it.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 02:22:55 PM »

Great idea Kelly!!

I try to leave reviews for everything I read, just cause I know I hate it when my read count goes up, but my reviews don't!  I'll post a couple here..

This is for Causal by cabybakes
Wow, this is definitely really well done so far! You can really tell the growth in your writing from "Miles Away" to this story. Quinn seems to be a very interesting character from what I can tell. Hopefully you'll update soon =)

and for my most favourite fanfiction ever.  All of you should go read it, I love it to bits.

Unsuspecting Sunday Afternoon by DaniGiggles
Oh God. Oh Godddddddddd. Dani, you do realize you basically wrote out "drama weekend" in this chapter lol. (Derek, Steph, Frank fiasco..) Wow, this reminds me so much of how Derek and I got together it's not even funny. You can just feel Brian's desperation coming off the page.. (err screen?) just..wow. I'm shocked. My breath actually caught in my throat when Leighanne showed up. Gah, that would be terrifying. But I mean... how painful for her. for everyone involved. Brian and Leslie can't be together because of the complications involved.. Nick is obviously heartbroken, Leighanne is going psycho. Brian and Leslie must just feel awful, because the one thing that is supposed to be pure and honest in their lives (their love for each other) has only brought them and the other people they love pain. You did an excellent job Dani. I freakin' love this story. I think I said this before, but Unsuspecting is my favourite song off Unbreakable, and possibly my favourite BSB song all around and you've done an AMAZING job at capturing it. You're a fantastic writer. *Applauds* Wonderful, wonderful job my friend.

So yeah.  Those are two recent reviews I've left :)
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 03:04:44 PM »

awesome saka!  and might I just add really fast, (not hijacking thread at all ;) ;)) that I love that song too and learned how to play it on the guitar and I love it!!  ok, done with my fangirly moment...

as for the reviews, I think those are great examples of awesome reviews! The first one was so encouraging and when you pointed out the growth in her story, I bet it totally made her day.   That review was very sweet simple and short, but it was perfect.

the second one is actually my favorite kind of review to get for two reasons. First of all, you compared one of the characters to someone you know in real life and that is a really big complement to the author. It means that you're connecting and relating to the characters on a personal level. That's awesome! And the second reason I love reviews like that one is because I can see how much you are caught up in the story! You're not really critiquing anything as more you're just reacting to what you read. You're love of the story shows like crazy and it's so fun to see people experience what you thought! Well done Saka! Way to motivate your favorite authors!

Here's one of mine. I just went ad read the next chapter I'm on of Pandora's Box, by nick's gal.

I KNEW that dude was the devil! You write the cloaked man very well I think. The way he is always so cool under pressure and seems to have this condescending attitude while pretending it's all because he cares for his castle and his demons and especially the way he treats Nick. Like its supposed to be fatherly, but really is this sick twisted control thing. I think that's how the devil really works. Well done there. I also really liked that part about how god was holding them in a glass ball and when he was done he just dropped it and let it shatter. That was a great visual analogy. I think that's one of the things I like the best about your writing style. You are very visual. Every time I pick up this story again I'm always afraid I've forgotten everything, but is sucks me right back in and I'm in that castle in the darkness and I'm holding Nick's heart in my hands along with Minako. YAY for this story being finished finally! Now I get to go read the rest without having to wait!!! And WOOHOO for finally getting to see what happens between Renee and Minako! I'm really curious about how you're going to do that. I could see it going lots of ways. and LMAO at Nick's scene in thsi chapter. I mean, not that it's funny that he's just given up his own heart to save her, but the whole time I was reading it I could just see you sitting at our computer trying to type his last words and his last breath, and then I pictured him sitting up like he was on stage and breaking character and being like "What the Eff Dee! I told you I wasn't going to die! Nice try though!" hahahahahaha seriously, I have issues. ok, I'll stop rambling now, but it's been so long since I've read this one that I was really excited for it. Now I need to go read the end. I was actually further back than we thought. I had six chapters, not 4. So, five more to go Yay!

ok, I know that one is a little long, but I tend to get excited sometimes. Plus I talk too much for my own good. (but I've never been told to shut my yap in a response to a review.  :D)  Reviews don't always have to be long, but the more you can tell someone your thoughts on their story, the more it motivates!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 03:06:32 PM by honey »

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 01:41:23 AM »

So I reviewed Protection, by alota_cookin and I made a vow to myself when I reviewed I'd be more honest if I saw problems in what is a good idea. So I gave constructive criticism which...I'm hoping is taken well  :)

So, I saw this and figured well this was an interesting premise, so I clicked. And the idea is good, it's the follow through throughout the story I found shaky. See the problem is, the media by saying Nick is in the WPP is a violation. It would get him found, and it is against the rules. Also, Nick would be unable to have so many identities. WPP is typically a one shot deal, maybe two if one is lucky/important enough. This had potential but I do recommend next time possibly researching before writing, so that way it comes off more realistically you know? Plus a major plot hole would be with Nick only dying his hair and using contacts, his face is too recognizable. The story needs the extra step of either a body suit or even plastic surgery itself. Also it's not good to change writing styles in the story like you did with the MTV scene. Which, also was interesting (had it gone with the idea of him being missing rather than in the WPP) but you portrayed them amazingly out of character and the media would censor what they had said. The idea is good, and original for BSB fanfic. I just wish the follow through had been more precise, it is a good attempt though, so keep writing. And I hope my tips could possibly help in the future.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

alota_cookin

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 07:32:44 AM »

So I reviewed Protection, by alota_cookin and I made a vow to myself when I reviewed I'd be more honest if I saw problems in what is a good idea. So I gave constructive criticism which...I'm hoping is taken well  :)

no worries.  :D It's actually, about time someone told me everything that's wrong with it. lol. Julilly gave me a bit of input once but it was mainly on one point. So, I ain't mad at ya!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 07:44:25 AM by alota_cookin »

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 02:49:31 PM »

no worries.  :D It's actually, about time someone told me everything that's wrong with it. lol. Julilly gave me a bit of input once but it was mainly on one point. So, I ain't mad at ya!  ;)

As frustrating as it is when someone says "well there's this..." and critiques your work it really is meant to be encouraging. If you just think "oh well, I'm not that good I guess" (I saw your reply to Rose :)) and move on then you can't get better, you've talked yourself down already. Concrit is meant for you to embrace the potential that is in your work because really you've got a really solid idea it just needs some tweaking. I think that you could become everything you want to be as a writer because you do have a good imagination and you have things like an understanding of the English language (which many people who speak English do not...) it just may take some practice.

I rarely give out concrit in the form of reviews unless I think someone really has something and know they are able to do better, so feel special that I'm being nice today... cuz tomorrow... look out lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 03:43:25 PM »

^ Good points, Julilly.

I'm always wary of giving constructive criticism because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.  However, if I read a story that really has a lot of potential to be a great story, but there's something about it that keeps it from being "great" to me (grammar issues, lack of believability, etc.), then sometimes I will say something constructive.. . because as a reader, there's something about the story that draws me in, but there's also something keeping me from enjoying it as much as I would if that thing was fixed.  If the story is just all-around bad, I don't even bother reviewing.  I try to follow the Thumper rule... "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all."  So if I take the time to leave constructive criticism, it means I have SOMETHING nice to say about the story.  So I think I'm on the same page as Julilly and Rose here. 
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 04:01:30 PM »

Personally I would take any constructive criticism as a compliment.  It means that someone took the time to read my story and they feel as though I have the potential to improve on some parts that are not so great.  One of my friends read "In Pieces" while he was at work a few days ago and when I asked him how it was he gave me pointers on how to make it better (more character descriptions.. that sort of thing) So yeah, I was happy he told me so I can possibly go fix it.  One day lol.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

alota_cookin

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 06:48:55 PM »

As frustrating as it is when someone says "well there's this..." and critiques your work it really is meant to be encouraging. If you just think "oh well, I'm not that good I guess" (I saw your reply to Rose :)) and move on then you can't get better, you've talked yourself down already. Concrit is meant for you to embrace the potential that is in your work because really you've got a really solid idea it just needs some tweaking. I think that you could become everything you want to be as a writer because you do have a good imagination and you have things like an understanding of the English language (which many people who speak English do not...) it just may take some practice.

I rarely give out concrit in the form of reviews unless I think someone really has something and know they are able to do better, so feel special that I'm being nice today... cuz tomorrow... look out lol

That's what I mean...I can't very well fix anything if someone doesn't tell me what's wrong with it.  :D Thus, the reason I ain't mad! I didn't mean it like "oh well, I suck" because I know that there are things I need to work on but no one seems to really tell me what they are. That's why I was like "I'm not surprised". I wasn't expecting there to be so many holes though...I thought it was tighter than that. *shruggs*

The reviews I got from you two are really the only two that had any notes on what was wrong with the story. Since I read this...I have come up with a few ideas of how I might be able to work those holes into part of the story like it was SUPPOSED to be like that. you know what I mean? Like maybe one of the guys was paying the WPP to keep moving Nick around or someone leaked the info to MTV or something. So then it makes it sound like the holes were put there on purpose. Does that make sense? Would that even work? Hmmmm.  :-\

So anyways, I'm sorry if it sounded weird. I was, honestly, happy that someone finally told me what was wrong and what needed to be fixed. Sometimes I word things wrong but I really wasn't upset.  :D

So thanks, you guys....*gives you brownie*  :)

P.S. - remember...you only half scare me Julia.  ;)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 07:05:50 PM »

Something that I find also inspires me is when someone is reading my story for the first time and comments on most every chapter with a unique, non generic comment.  alota_cookin did this for me with In Pieces and it motived me so much for writing the sequel.   :-* Thanks hun!
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

alota_cookin

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 07:38:17 PM »

Something that I find also inspires me is when someone is reading my story for the first time and comments on most every chapter with a unique, non generic comment.  alota_cookin did this for me with In Pieces and it motived me so much for writing the sequel.   :-* Thanks hun!

I have been making sure to leave reviews when I read because I know it is encouraging. I try to leave personal, detailed reviews for the most part (occasionally I leave a generic one).

Personally, although ANY review is nice, I find the non generic ones seem to be more uplifting.

I am glad you were motivated by it.  ;) and, you are very welcome.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 08:23:36 PM »

I'm glad to hear you say that you appreciate the concrit more than the "good chapter, update more!" stuff because I find it frustrating when all someone can say is good chapter... I want to know why they thought it was good, or maybe why they didn't like it. I think it's important to get substance in your feedback, but there's a lot of people who only want the praise.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 09:20:45 PM »

Yay, I'm glad to hear you're not upset. I think sometimes every author at one point needs it. And I don't do concrit very often, but your idea has really good potential. I know I rattled off a lot of stuff, but I wouldn't have done it if I didn't like the premise to begin with. :) Or if I didn't feel like you couldn't improve  :D
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: [1] 2 3