Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: What's next for us?  (Read 27139 times)

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
Re: What's next for us?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 10:53:13 PM »

I like the mostly judged categories with a reader's choice award (or two)--and yes, I'll find a script that will only allow one vote per person (and will record IP addresses to make sure duplicates are easily spotted. I don't get the point of seeing how many times a person can click a button...lol.

Okay, so I'm thinking we'll have some obvious categories (like Best Portrayal of [insert character name here]), but for fun the judging committee can come up with some categories that people won't even know we're looking for (like "best use of kitchen utensils" (okay probably not that one, lol)). Most of the site is BSB fics, but we'll have to make sure to include some categories for non-BSB as well.

My schedule's going to be kinda hectic for the next couple weeks (kids are now out of school, they're not gonna let me be at the computer all that much lol) so I don't know how much I'll really be able to help with the organizing of things (or setting up nomination forms) until school starts back up again, but in the meantime, I'd say we should be discussing rules and how the nomination process should be done.

One rule I would like (but will forgo if it would rule out too many people) is that the winning fics' author agree for their story to be posted in the A.C. archive if it's not already--it's a peeve of mine to have dead links in award winner lists, so having a copy on the site rather than posting external links (that could be removed at any time...) would be ideal.

Anyhoo, another question to throw out there: Awards title? (I'll admit that I toyed with the idea of a fanfiction award site called the Felix Awards (cuz Oscar...Felix. ..erm...yeah) but I'd love to hear if ya'll have some good suggestions.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 11:10:40 PM »

I almost died laughing at the "best use of kitchen utensills". :D

This is my opinion...  But I think it would be nice if the nominees could only be from AC. That way, the broken links thing wouldn't be an issue and some lesser known authors may get people to read their stuff. :) And then that way, all the nominees would be current authors. But again... That's just my opinion...

The name "Eternal Chaos" came to my mind.... :D

~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 12:03:10 AM »

ahh '98-'02 the heyday of BSB websites. Are there any out there still plugging away?

I was thinking about opening my awards again, but didn't want to take the time. Last time I did it I judged 80% of them and it got old.

Definately judged though, voted on NEVER gets the right stories as winners.

Also maybe a judge who writes that genre to judge.  I mean don't put someone who writes mostly AU to judge Romance it wouldn't work.. or someone who writes Kevin judging a Nick category? I don't know probably doens't matter a ton.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
    • Drifting-In-Between-Dreams A Place to Lose Reality if Only for a Moment
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 12:35:47 AM »

Awards would be a great idea! Judging I think would be awesome for the major categories, but also have reader's choice sections as well so it would be a good smattering of both! By the way thanks for the discussion board!! Genius idea!
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."
Angel: "Spike.... just walk away"
Spike: "You're a..."
Angel: "Don't say it!"
Spike: "You're a bleeding puppet!"

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 07:33:23 AM »

I think that without judges it would go into chaos. I've seen a reader's only based vote before where fan fics that had nothing to do with the category won said category.

That was definitely a concern of mine, that people undeserving would win just because they have 200 friends who all came and voted  :P I think we'll end up going with judged, and a reader's choice (like the MTV Awards lol)
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 11:18:03 AM »

Like MTV? :D

It was a crazy awards! Like a romance story won the horror category.... *shakes head*
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 03:50:47 PM »

And I also think purpura's idea of having people who write and read certain genres be the ones to judge would work as well. I know I tried judging a category once that I didn't enjoy and had to withdraw because I felt like I wasn't giving the stories a chance lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

shrinkingviolet

• Captain of Commotion
    • distant . faces
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 11:12:13 PM »

I would be willing to help in any way, whether it's creating graphics or helping with some organization. :) I love the "Felix Awards" (Oscar and Felix, yeah!)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 07:49:59 PM »

It's funny, but fan fic awards is actually how I heard about AC in the first place. I had joined this yahoo group and they were all talking about the "Stripped" awards. That's when everyone had to explain the world of Fan fiction to me. I was excited though because I had been writing stories forever and always thought I was crazy. I had no idea there were others out there like me. lol Anyway, they told me that I could find their stories on AC and now I'm totally addicted. I guess I always assumed after that that the "Stripped" awards were AC's fanfic awards... Guess not. But I think it's a great Idea to have some. I think you would get plenty of participation. The site is already so active and I know I have a few favorites that I would love to give well-deserved praise to.

*** I say do it***
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2006, 10:17:22 PM »

Of course you're not the only one. *hug*
~*Dee*~

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2007, 11:19:12 PM »

Fan fic awards are always a great idea, but they have to be done right. I think Laura and I discussed this idea for Ethereality breifly. In most fan fic awards I've found that people nominate themselves which shouldn't be allowed. Cuz then you have underserving stories in all the categories. They should be by peer nomination only, that way everyone will have to nominate someone else.

The other problem is that I find that the person who runs the award site only nominates their friends. I've been on both sides of the fence where I've been excluded from a site because i wasn't AS close to the owner as others and situations where a friend made a site and kinda rigged it so there was no competition. Neither way was fair.

I'd love to judge if you need help! I'm familair w/many of the stories on AC.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2007, 11:37:13 PM »

Best Use of Kitchen Utensils... I swear I had a category similar in one of my awards, or was I just joking about it.. LOL
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2007, 11:41:43 PM »

Fan fic awards are always a great idea, but they have to be done right. I think Laura and I discussed this idea for Ethereality breifly. In most fan fic awards I've found that people nominate themselves which shouldn't be allowed. Cuz then you have underserving stories in all the categories. They should be by peer nomination only, that way everyone will have to nominate someone else.

The other problem is that I find that the person who runs the award site only nominates their friends. I've been on both sides of the fence where I've been excluded from a site because i wasn't AS close to the owner as others and situations where a friend made a site and kinda rigged it so there was no competition. Neither way was fair.

I'd love to judge if you need help! I'm familair w/many of the stories on AC.

Oh yeah, I hate when people nominate themselves. It makes it into a popularity contest and that's no good.

I was really surprised by the stripped award, because I jsut stumbled upon it while you guys were talking (back at Ethereality) and 'lo and behold, I had been nominated.

Things are funny like that.
~*Dee*~

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2007, 11:43:14 PM »

Oh yeah, I hate when people nominate themselves. It makes it into a popularity contest and that's no good.

I was really surprised by the stripped award, because I jsut stumbled upon it while you guys were talking (back at Ethereality) and 'lo and behold, I had been nominated.

Things are funny like that.

The thing is though Dee, is that little known authors, like myself, HAVE to nominate themselves. And yes, though I'd love an award, it's more for publicity then anything else.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2007, 11:49:20 PM »

The thing is though Dee, is that little known authors, like myself, HAVE to nominate themselves. And yes, though I'd love an award, it's more for publicity then anything else.

I understand that when you run your own site to host your stuff, but especially if AC hosts the awards.... Everyone's gotten at least a little publicity by their stories showing up on the "most recent" page. And with the wealth of stories on AC, it seems unfair for people to be nominating themselves, especially with 1000+ stories and 200+ authors when, more than likely, only ten nominees per category will be accepted (basically because that number is usually the norm).
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6