Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: What's next for us?  (Read 27132 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: What's next for us?
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2007, 02:03:25 AM »

Eh, I like you, you offered to beta read my story, you're a nice chick, I've got no quips. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2007, 09:49:10 AM »

ooh ohh, where can I join? I wanna hear the dirt. I'm sure it wasn't anything I've written. HAHA.

what messenger do ya'll use?

Oh oh... Look at what I started lol Yea we prolly shouldn't continue this on this board, but yea if you wanna chat privately my AIM is DimpledDevil18 . I love talking to other authors in general anyway.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2007, 03:53:24 PM »

Well, it's always on the back of my mind, and Laura's apparently, so you just helped the bad blood reemerge. ;)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2007, 05:23:40 PM »

Well, it's always on the back of my mind, and Laura's apparently, so you just helped the bad blood reemerge. ;)

Now I have that on my conscience LOl Thanks Dee!

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2007, 05:43:12 PM »

Now I have that on my conscience LOl Thanks Dee!

I never said it was a bad thing. ;) I think it's a good thing. I was worried that I was the only one that still cared.
~*Dee*~

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2007, 05:48:36 PM »

I never said it was a bad thing. ;) I think it's a good thing. I was worried that I was the only one that still cared.

Well, not like I was impacted by it cuz I wasn't nominated, but yea... its the principle of the matter and while we were on the topic it kinda came to mind. If I was nominated I prolly wouldn't have been so happy, so I understand how you feel.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2007, 05:53:05 PM »

Well, not like I was impacted by it cuz I wasn't nominated, but yea... its the principle of the matter and while we were on the topic it kinda came to mind. If I was nominated I prolly wouldn't have been so happy, so I understand how you feel.

I don't remember if I was nominated against her.... But it was the principle of the matter that upset me.
~*Dee*~

LenniluvsBrian

• General Pandemonium
  • You gave me a smile that I will never forget.....
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »

I love Fan Fic Awards!!! So long as the Awards we have here don't end up like all the others seem to end up - they never tell anybody whose won. People running most the Fan Fic Awards sites just up & disappear & promise to be back with winners & then never come back. It's rather annoying really, because you know you're nominated, but it's been months or years even since they've updated anything.

And if y'all need help with judging or whatever, I'll help out as best I can.

~Lenni~
Concert Tickets: $270
3 BSB T-Shirts: $105
BSB Sweater: $85
Poster & Book: $30
Having Brian grab me & pull me close during sound check: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Ticket: $14.95
Bus Fare: $3.50
Marilyn Denis Show Ticket: Free
Nick Carter singing to me on live television: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2007, 02:36:09 AM »

I love Fan Fic Awards!!! So long as the Awards we have here don't end up like all the others seem to end up - they never tell anybody whose won. People running most the Fan Fic Awards sites just up & disappear & promise to be back with winners & then never come back. It's rather annoying really, because you know you're nominated, but it's been months or years even since they've updated anything.

And if y'all need help with judging or whatever, I'll help out as best I can.

~Lenni~

I know, that's so annoying!  I stopped running mine because of cheating issues, but I at least finished out the season.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2007, 02:36:56 AM »

What sort of cheating issues were those?
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2007, 07:06:36 PM »

What sort of cheating issues were those?

Well, the way I did mine was, I had polls for readers to vote for each category, and then I also judged myself, so there would be a Reader's Choice and a Webmistress's Choice award for each category.  I figured that was a nice compromise - then no one could accuse me of being biased or anything for the ones that were voted on, and I could also give stories that were really good but maybe not as popular/recognized awards.

I got fed up with the voting, though, because I noticed a select few stories by a select few authors who were all friends getting WAY more votes than any of the other stories, and it seemed very fishy to me, especially since I'd never even HEARD of any of those stories and authors before that season (and I'd been reading fanfic for probably four years at that point and had run my awards 3 or 4 times, so I was pretty familiar with the popular stories).  I thought that my polls were the kind where you could only vote once a day, period, but after playing around enough, I discovered that if you restarted your whole computer, you could vote more than once a day, so I think they beat the system and ensured that they and their friends would win in all their categories.

Some of those people used to run their own awards, where, ironically, all of their friends would also win, and those were done by judging.  And, to me, there was nothing that special about their stories, especially when compared to some of the others that were nominated.  So I got fed up with awards altogether that year (and this was a few years ago; I don't think any of those authors are still writing anymore, so I'm not talking about anyone on AC or anything), and I haven't run mine since.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2007, 07:49:40 PM »

Well that seems completely unfair. I'd have just banned the stories or something if they were the only ones cheating. Especially for the other stories where people were following the rules. :(
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2007, 07:52:16 PM »

Well that seems completely unfair. I'd have just banned the stories or something if they were the only ones cheating. Especially for the other stories where people were following the rules. :(

I had no actual proof of the whole cheating conspiracy; it just seemed VERY unlikely that those few stories could get that many votes compared to the numbers for all the other stories.  But since I couldn't prove it, I finished out the season, gave them their damn awards for those categories, definitely didn't award them any for my choices LOL, and have held a grudge against them ever since for ruining my fun running my awards.  Because it was fun, until they screwed it up for me.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2007, 08:14:05 PM »

Awwwwwww.... I'm sorry. :(

I'd say start them again if those authors wouldn't come back.... but that's probably poor advice, or something like that.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2007, 08:23:05 PM »

Awwwwwww.... I'm sorry. :(

I'd say start them again if those authors wouldn't come back.... but that's probably poor advice, or something like that.

I've thought about it, but I just don't have as much time anymore.

I actually had another awards site that I ran with a couple of friends called the Undiscovered Gem Awards, which we started purposely to award stories that were not the popular ones that won awards everywhere else.  We specified that you could only be nominated if you hadn't won any or more than 2-3 awards (I don't remember what the actual number was).  Whatever it was, we did it just to eliminate those authors from nominating themselves LOL.  And we judged everything ourselves.  It was great, and we had planned on doing another season, but then the two of them got busy, and so did I, and it kinda fell through.  I would love to run that one again, but I just haven't had time for another project.
~Julie

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6