Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How Do You Know When You've Lost Your Audience?  (Read 6847 times)

bsbsavedmylife

How Do You Know When You've Lost Your Audience?
« on: June 25, 2008, 03:23:37 AM »

Lately I've noticed a drastic change in my reader reviews.  I have several stories and I realize that each story has a different group of readers, but it seems like I'm getting less and less reviews.  My question is, how do you know when you've lost your audience?  Has anyone ever experienced this?  Is it just like a dry spell of readers or is it a sign I'm losing my touch?  I have my stories posted several different places and each place has a different group of readers.  I'm sure every writer has gone through this.  How did you overcome the frustration and find the motivation to keep on writing?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: How Do You Know When You've Lost Your Audience?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 05:20:10 AM »

First of all, don't worry so much about your reviews. People read without leaving reviews, that's where there's a read count. Is it going up?

To only write for the soul purpose of receiving praise is superficial. Whether or not you have one review, or twelve reviews write it if you want to.

Sometimes the readers will stumble onto it later and be glad they did, you can't force them to read and review as you update just so that you feel good about yourself.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 05:34:22 AM by julilly »
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 08:15:43 AM »

I do agree with Julilly that if you're writing for praise, you're writing for the wrong reasons. However, I think the fandom in general is reading less. So it's probably not just your stories that are getting "snubbed" so to speak. That's why it's important to write for yourself.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 08:18:21 AM »

There does seem to be an increase in readership whenever there's a new album out...or so I've sort of noticed, but that might just be my imagination.

And, I agree with everything you said, Julilly. I think the best stories are written when a writer writes for him/herself. Some of my faves on AC only received maybe 5 or 6 reviews for entire stories. *shrugs* Write for yourself. Readers are just an added bonus :)
Sarah

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 08:24:52 AM »

I think its also like time of year and stuff. I know I've been busier lately and haven't done as much reading or writing as usual. Your true fand always do find themselves wandering back eventually, so I wouldn't sweat it. It probaby just is a dry spell.

And you did mention that you have readers from all different places, not just AC. So, its not like you aren't getting ANY feedback. I know that feedback is very motivating and I'm very fortunate to be at a point in my writing career where I do get a lot of feedback per chapter usually, but it takes time. When I first joined AC and first posted my main fan fic it took a while to catch on. You have to build up a steady audience.

But as Julilly said. You don't write for praise. You write because you love to. Sure the praise is great and very motivating, but you don't want to come across as like you expect people to tell you how great you are, because if you do readers WILL get turned off and not bother reading.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 08:37:45 AM »

To add to what everyone else is saying, when I wrote regularly I always noticed a decline in readers in the summer. With the nicer weather, people tend to go out and hang at the beach and don't spend as much time sitting at the computer reading fanfics. And like Julilly said, there are lot's of people who may be reading but not reviewing. Sometimes people just don't have anything to say.

I would't worry about it too much and it seems another thing i've noticed is when people are so hungry for praise they seldom receive it. Nothing turns people off more than when a writer begs for reviews. I know it bugs me lol I'm not sure if you do that or not but just be aware, that might be another factor.

In the meantime, just write for yourself and enjoy it :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 11:24:47 AM »

I've noticed that this happens sometimes.  People will start reviewing every chapter, and as the story progresses, some people just stop leaving reviews.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just something that happens.  I know I'm guilty of it myself, reviewing a story and then just sort of losing interest in it.

I guess I'll agree with what everyone else has been saying and that while feedback is nice it shouldn't be your main reason for writing.  I have had stories that have got a fair bit of feedback for each chapter, and while I thought it would be nice to make the story go longer for more feedback, in the end I knew where I wanted to go with it and where I wanted it to end.  If I hadn't done that, I would have been disappointed with myself and with the final result.  I still write on Not Like We Predicted.  It doesn't get much feedback, and it isn't my most popular story by any stretch, but I always feel accomplished every time I upload a new chapter just because I've been working on it for so long.  :) So I guess what I'm trying to say is don't worry about having a readership, just worry about making your writing the best you can to make yourself happy.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

bsbsavedmylife

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 11:54:13 AM »

I agree with the part about writing for myself.  I do love to write and it's a great way for me to stay focused on my sobriety and other things going on in my life. I use my writing as a tool for my own personal therapy.  I guess I got a little paronoid that I was losing my touch as a writer.  I know I'm not like this great writer who should be published or anything, but I do like to read reviews from time to time.  I have my regular readers who are very consistent and I appreciate each and every one of them.  Maybe some of it is my fault because I went through a short spell of depression and stopped writing most of my stories.  I'm sure I'll gain some audience back as I continue to update.  A part of me was just worried about being one of those writers that people roll their eyes at and wish they didn't post here.  LOL!  You know what I mean?

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 12:12:58 PM »

A part of me was just worried about being one of those writers that people roll their eyes at and wish they didn't post here.  LOL!  You know what I mean?

Well, I think I can speak for most of us when I say that I don't roll my eyes and wish people didn't post their stories on AC because their writing may not be as on par as other authors. What gets me annoyed is authors with attitudes. So as long as you stay humble and modest no one should roll their eyes at you.

I think maybe other people might have suggested it too, but it may be better to only focus on a few stories at a time. Three is a good limit. If you have too many stories out at once it gets very hard to keep them all straight. That's just my suggestion.

KeelieRose86

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 12:42:10 PM »

I just love writing for myself! I know some people write for their readers, but I write because I'm just dying to get all these ideas out of my head and onto the computer screen! LOL! I think it's way more gratifying when you write for yourself, and OMG I'm like my biggest critic, so I always, always, ALWAYS write what I know I'll like. I love my fans and the fact that they're still around and just begged me to come back, but, yeah, write for yourself totally!! ;D

bsbsavedmylife

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 01:53:22 PM »

I think maybe other people might have suggested it too, but it may be better to only focus on a few stories at a time. Three is a good limit. If you have too many stories out at once it gets very hard to keep them all straight. That's just my suggestion.

LOL!  Yes, I do agree with this one.  I got on this odd, creativ streak for a while and couldn't decide which one to write.  Now I've got it limited to three solid ones and one that I'm posting as a newly edited version.  I realized it was getting confusing to the readers and even myself at times.  LOL!  It's good advice.   ;D

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 02:07:10 PM »

A part of me was just worried about being one of those writers that people roll their eyes at and wish they didn't post here.  LOL!  You know what I mean?

hahaha. I'm pretty sure we all wonder about this.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

bsbsavedmylife

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 02:26:58 PM »

Yay I'm not alone!    :D

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 04:19:18 PM »

Well you can be assured... that I roll my eyes at each and every one of you.  8)
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 04:20:56 PM »

I have my regular readers who are very consistent and I appreciate each and every one of them.  Maybe some of it is my fault because I went through a short spell of depression and stopped writing most of my stories.  I'm sure I'll gain some audience back as I continue to update.

I update once every 4 or 5... 6 or 8... 12-ish months, and for some ungodly reason the "regulars" will come back.

As long as you're true to your regulars, it doesn't matter about anyone else. I go by the read count way more than I do the reviews, anyway.
~Maple Jellybean~

Pages: [1] 2