Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How Do You Know When You've Lost Your Audience?  (Read 6844 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: How Do You Know When You've Lost Your Audience?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 04:53:07 PM »

Well you can be assured... that I roll my eyes at each and every one of you.  8)

Even me? lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 06:41:51 PM »

~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 12:42:07 PM »

Well you can be assured... that I roll my eyes at each and every one of you.  8)

2 kewl 4 skewl huh? Ther always has to be at least one.   ::)
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 03:42:24 PM »

~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

LenniluvsBrian

• General Pandemonium
  • You gave me a smile that I will never forget.....
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 10:58:52 PM »

I think all my fics have a bigger read count that the number of reviews. Which, is a tad frustrating, but least I know people are still reading!

~Lenni~
Concert Tickets: $270
3 BSB T-Shirts: $105
BSB Sweater: $85
Poster & Book: $30
Having Brian grab me & pull me close during sound check: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Ticket: $14.95
Bus Fare: $3.50
Marilyn Denis Show Ticket: Free
Nick Carter singing to me on live television: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 03:21:44 AM »

^ I'm sure everyone's does.  The read count isn't very accurate because it counts every time someone refreshes a page or clicks on a chapter more than once, including all the times you click on it yourself.  (And I know I do that a few times every time I update to make sure my chapters uploaded okay.)  So the read count isn't really an accurate measure of how many readers you have; it's just how many hits your chapters have gotten.

Also, not everyone who clicks on your story actually reads it, and not everyone who reads leaves a review.  I've said this before, but I'll repeat it:  A friend of mine once told me that she had heard that the average ratio of reviewers to readers is 1:10.  So for every ten people who read your story, only one will actually bother to leave a review.  I have no source for that stat so I have no idea where it came from or how accurate it really is, but in my experience, it seems about right.  If you're getting an average of 5 reviews per chapter on AC, you can assume there's probably about 50 people reading your story on a regular basis; most of them just don't bother to review.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

~SusanRae~

• Innocent Bystander
  • ~Sad, But True!~
    • ~Everything & Anything You Could Want To Know About ME!~
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 01:20:55 PM »

In some ways, I think readers are a lot like authors themselves. For example, with myself, I read almost every fan fic that is put up, but very rarely do I review one and if I do, a lot of times, it is a personal email to the author after the story is finished or after I have read something I really enjoyed. The reason for this is pretty simple. I don’t want to write a review that has the author rolling their eyes, saying I wish she would just stop reviewing. I know that when I first started reading stories on AC, I read the reviews before I started reading the story, just to get a feel for what the story was like and most the time, the reviews are pretty accurate on whether it is going to hold my interest or not. Then there is another factor that doesn’t hold true with me on this site, but it has on other sites, once I start reviewing a story, I actually feel guilty if I don’t continue to review it. So I almost find it easier to not review it to start with rather than feel guilty when I don’t review a chapter. And it quite possibly is only a feeling that I have, but I think I feel guilty because it is almost like I feel that once I start reviewing a story, the author expects me to continue to review it. I hope that makes sense. I also would have to agree that this time of year with so many activities going on outside, it is harder to read and review.
~"No One's A Virgin,Life Screws Us All!"~
~"Chaos, Panic & Disorder...My Work Here Is Done!"~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »

^ LOL I don't think any author would say "I wish she would just stop reviewing," unless the reviewer in question was more of flamer or nitpicker.  Generally, though, no one complains about getting too many reviews LOL.  And if anyone did, I would have to smack them.

I don't review everything that I click on and read part of, but anything that I read in full, I review.  If it's a story that is already finished when I start reading it, I usually wait until the end to leave a big overall review, or I review halfway through or something.  It is easier than having to review every single chapter.  And honestly, sometimes I don't really have much to say after one chapter, not like I would at the end of the story, when I know the overall picture.

When I'm reading something as it's being written, I tend to leave a review after every update... so every chapter or every few chapters.  It's not time-consuming because the stories I read only get updated once in awhile; I think I can spare a few minutes to give some feedback once in awhile.  I really hate the excuse of "I don't have time to review," because, seriously, reviewing takes only a fraction of the time reading does.  So if you have enough time to read in the first place, you have enough time to leave a quick review.  If you're reading a chapter real quick before you have to run out the door for work or something, you can always come back and review it later.  "I don't have enough time" is a total cop out.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 03:28:45 PM »

I have to say I do the same thing you do Susan. I always read the reviews for the story to decide whether or not it would be something I like. I mean I can usually tell by the summary but if i'm still on the fence I will go to the reviews to get the gist and almost always I can get a feel of if the story is right for me. I also have to be honest and say i'm turned off by authors who do not respond to their reviews. Sometimes that will keep me from reading their stuff. If someone has time to review your story, the least you can do is reply. Even if all they say is good job! It annoys me when authors skip over some reviews and respond only to certain reviewers. It makes it seem like the good jobs aren't as important as all the others.

That belonged in the pet peeve thread. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 03:52:13 PM »

I usually review at the end. I'm not going to pat you on the back for every chapter you complete, sorry. If it's something exceptional where I was like damn that chapter was good then I will give props where they are due... otherwise once it's finished and I am I satisfied (or hell even dissatisfied) then I can give a more complete review. In my mind that is worth more than a dozen "Update!" or "Keep up the good work" reviews.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 03:59:48 PM »

I agree with that as well. I don't think it's necassary to review every chapter of a story. If i'm reading something and it sticks out in my mind i'll probably comment on it, otherwise I might now. I usually do review every chapter if it's being written at the same time i'm reading, but the finished ones i'll usually wait until the end.

I always review though. If I don't that means I haven't read it or perhaps started but didn't decide to finish.  lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 10:32:52 PM »

Aww I agree with Julie Susan... I don't think I'd ever think to myself that I wish someone would STOP reviewing. LOL I do admit that sometimes I get a lil worried if I don't hear from regular readers every once in a while, but I do understand we all have lives and you stop in and review every few chapters or whatever is best for you.

I'm one of those reviewers who leaves feedback, but every ten chapters or so because usually I fall behind. I always try to leave feedback once I'm caught up though. There are very few stories I review every chapter and those are usually close friends of mine.
Pages: 1 [2]