Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just venting a lil bit of frustration at the fan fic world...  (Read 14228 times)

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
Just venting a lil bit of frustration at the fan fic world...
« on: January 13, 2007, 09:40:30 AM »

I just need to vent a lil, plus I would like maybe to hear your thoughts or advice (although I'm not sure if there is any advice to really be given) on something that I just experienced and I'm feeling a lil I dunno... Not exactly hurt, but I guess more frustrated at my readers. I had just updated a chapter of UMS and to be honest it wasn't the most exciting chapter in the story, but not every chapter can be, right? Anyway one of my steady readers in her feedback goes Are you ever gong to write another sex scene? I mean I'll still read even if you don't, but I'd definitely like it. My story is prolly not even half over, so I'm sure there will definitely be a few more along the way. Now the reader who asked me this, I've read her stories and they start off promising, but then once the characters have sex that's all they do and there's no plot whatsoever anymore. And it's definitely not my style of writing a sex scene. Anyway my long winded point here is this... Are my readers JUST reading my story for the sex? Not like there's THAT much in there (one full scene and one kind of half one)but sometimes I feel like they're only reading to see if they "do it" and they're missing the plot.

Essentially I guess in a way UMS is a lot about sex, but the way it complicates things. At least that's the angle I've been taking lately. Yet, I don't want it to be all about that. Does that make sense? *sigh* I just feel frustrated.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Just venting a lil bit of frustration at the fan fic world...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 11:04:26 AM »

I think it's just THAT reader Mel. There are probably those who read and don't review that like your story just as it is.  I'd ignore her comment and continue writing your story how you want and if you lose her as a reader, well, I don't think it's much of a loss.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 11:42:25 AM »

I can understand your frustration; that would annoy me too.  But like Purpura said, I think you should just ignore her and write the story the way you want to write it.  There's definitely a point where you can go overboard with the sex scenes - in my mind, less is more when it comes to those.  If they further the plot or character/relationship development, then great, include them, but if they're just there for the sex and have no other point, then they're just taking up space.  If that reader wants nothing but sex, she should read visuals - there's plenty of them out there.  Don't feel like you have to turn your story into a massive visual just to please her.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Laura Mae

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 07:27:32 PM »

They're right, Mel... don't let that one reader get you down. It's dumb that there are people that only care about the sex (and in that case, my story's probably in trouble, too XD), but those are the kind of people that don't understand what writing's all about. Don't forget the number one rule as an author: write for yourself. :) If you end up catering to what the readers want, it's not your story anymore.

But this is another reason why I'm starting to get really tired of fan fiction... *sigh*

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 09:10:59 PM »

I agree with everything said so far. You know I've always said that you ought to write for yourself, and as long as you're happy with it, that's what's important. :) Just ignore her question and write it your way. And anyway, sex for the sake of sex is just a cheap booty call. Do you want your story to be one big, cheap booty call or do you want your story to be the epitome of making love?
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

LenniluvsBrian

• General Pandemonium
  • You gave me a smile that I will never forget.....
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 02:07:22 AM »

Personally [though, I don't think I'm reading any of your fics at the moment - heh], I don't usually read the sex scenes. I'll read a bit of it, then skim through the rest of it until the point they're finished. I'm more into what else is going on in the story, rather than just the sex - though, I do sometimes cheer when the people I want to hook up finally do so. But don't let just one person make you feel bad or feel like you have to write more sex scenes. Write what YOU want & your reads will either love it or hate it - but write mostly for you, & not them.

What is with all the crazy/upsetting reviews lately???

~Lenni~
Concert Tickets: $270
3 BSB T-Shirts: $105
BSB Sweater: $85
Poster & Book: $30
Having Brian grab me & pull me close during sound check: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Ticket: $14.95
Bus Fare: $3.50
Marilyn Denis Show Ticket: Free
Nick Carter singing to me on live television: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steph

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Trying to forget; the pain's still there.
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 03:18:47 AM »

I don't think I've ever had that kind of review, but like everyone else has said... ignore that one reader. If sex scenes are all she's looking for... there are plenty of vizzies out there with her name on it. You write for the sake of writing, not to please everyone. Do it for you.

There's something up with a few readers lately. They've been flaming and being downright rude about it.

Dean & Sam Winchester.
Hunters. Protectors. Survivors. Family.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 03:20:55 AM »

I don't think I've ever had that kind of review, but like everyone else has said... ignore that one reader. If sex scenes are all she's looking for... there are plenty of vizzies out there with her name on it. You write for the sake of writing, not to please everyone. Do it for you.

There's something up with a few readers lately. They've been flaming and being downright rude about it.

There has been, which has made me a bit iffy on posting one of my darker fics LOL.

But as the others said. Write for yourself, thats what matters. If they want nothing but sex they can get it elsewhere.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 09:01:40 AM »

People have been flaming you? Please let us know the next time that happens. You shouldn't be getting flamed by anyone on AC! Ugh! That annoys me!!

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 09:08:13 AM »

OKay I am playing devil's advocate at the moment. I just went and read what that girl said to you Mel and I honestly don't think she meant it in a bad way at all. It seemed like an innocent question. I just think sometimes the readers get so into the story that they kind of just start picturing things they want it to be in their heads. If nothing else that's just a huge compliment to you as a writer. And I guess your sex scenes rock! lol

I thought your reply to her was excellent. :)

And like everyone else said, as long as you are writing for you just nod and grin and move on lol I have a feeling no matter what you write, that girl will still read it.

And Rose, post your story! When it gets to the point that we are afriad to post because of what people might say, it sucks the fun out or writing. lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 11:07:11 AM »

There has been, which has made me a bit iffy on posting one of my darker fics LOL.

But as the others said. Write for yourself, thats what matters. If they want nothing but sex they can get it elsewhere.

I haven't been getting any reviews like that... oh wait I don't get reviews past the "nice update" ;-D 

I can understand constructive criticism, but yeah being downright rude, whatever.

Post your darker fic, if you upset your old readers they can read your other stories, but you might get new readers for posting it. PLUS I think some fans really like to see different things from their authors. (I mean don't we like different kinds of stuff from the boys?)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Steph

• Minion of Mayhem
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 11:12:33 AM »

People have been flaming you? Please let us know the next time that happens. You shouldn't be getting flamed by anyone on AC! Ugh! That annoys me!!

Ohhh no, no, no. I have never been flamed. Boy, that sounded conceited. But it's true! Haha. Seriously though, my friend Ashley (Forever Rebel) got a mean review. I guess it's a flame. The reader said "Wow, you suck" and only rated her a two. Ashley's sensitive, so of course it upset her. I just hate people who purposely do that. As writers, we all expect criticism, but not like that.

Dean & Sam Winchester.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 11:55:39 AM »

Ohhh no, no, no. I have never been flamed. Boy, that sounded conceited. But it's true! Haha. Seriously though, my friend Ashley (Forever Rebel) got a mean review. I guess it's a flame. The reader said "Wow, you suck" and only rated her a two. Ashley's sensitive, so of course it upset her. I just hate people who purposely do that. As writers, we all expect criticism, but not like that.

OMG that is sooo rude! Was this recent?

I'm going to look now. I have no patience for rude people lol

Steph

• Minion of Mayhem
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 12:04:26 PM »

OMG that is sooo rude! Was this recent?

I'm going to look now. I have no patience for rude people lol

Yeah, it just happened a couple of days ago. It's for her fic No Matter What. She's a good author and she's improving everyday. Rude reviews like that aren't constructive.

Dean & Sam Winchester.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 12:16:22 PM »

Yeah, it just happened a couple of days ago. It's for her fic No Matter What. She's a good author and she's improving everyday. Rude reviews like that aren't constructive.

I saw it and deleted it. You're right it's okay when it comes to constructive criticism but when people get downright mean, that's crossing the line. Of course this person also was anonymous so there was no way to trace who it was. Chickens! If you are going to flame someone have the guts to at least let them address you personally!

Thanks for letting me know. :)

I hope Ashley doesn't mind that I deleted the post.
Pages: [1] 2