Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Featured Story of the Month for July 2008 - If Tomorrow Never Comes by Ashley  (Read 19638 times)

MonkeyAbu

How much if any research did you have to do when it came to the medical side of this story?

Honestly? Not as much as I probably should, but I feel secure in saying that because what I have used in the story (as far as medical side goes), is almost what I want to call common sense. I guess I'm saying that I haven't delved as much into the medical details as I probably could, but the fact that I haven't doesn't take away from the story. At least I don't think so because I feel like the main point of the story is how the problem effects everyone. Therefore I have spent my concentration on delving into that aspect. However, I did a little bit of research as far as looking up some medical terms to make sure I didn't make myself look like too much of a fool. I also pulled a bit of inspiration from some medical shows I have watched, both series and stuff on Discovery Health Channel, and one of my favorite movies, so I guess that could be called research in a way. Though those were more of leisure "research" time where I was like, "Hey, I think I can use part of that concept and incorporate it into the story."

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

^ I understand that. Sometimes the medical stuff isn't as important as the story surrounding it.

What made you decide to go with Brian's heart problem?

Where you ever afriad that people would think it was too sterotypical?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

MonkeyAbu

What made you decide to go with Brian's heart problem?

Where you ever afriad that people would think it was too sterotypical?

1.) I think part of the reason why I decided to go with Brian's heart problem is because he's been my favorite since I've been a fan. I remember reading an article in a magazine that announced he was having his surgery way back in the day and that has always stuck out in my mind. I've also always thought it would make for a good angsty drama, despite the fact that it has become somewhat of a stereotypical idea over the years. I think that maybe it's partly because authors don't develop the story line as much and focus mainly just on his heart problem, without delving into every other aspect that comes along with it, especially everyone who is affected by the problem. Can't really say I've ever read a decent story centered around Brian's heart problem, and I'm not saying that I am the best author around, but I wanted to play out more of the effects and emotions that would come with something like this happening. I hope I am doing an ok job at it.

2.) I've actually wondered about that since I first began ITNC last year and I still think about it every now and then. I've seen how stereotypical the idea has gotten, but I'm hoping that with the way I am having it play out, it will be less stereotypical and maybe more unique.

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
  • I have no idea what I'm getting myself into

What inspired this story? I mean, did you wake up one day and just decide to write a story about Brian on the brink of losing his life or did you input some personal experiences of your own? And I dunno if this was discussed before (it probably was but I forgot, lol.) but was the title "If Tomorrow Never Comes" from the song? I really like it. :) Oh, and how would you incooporate the title with the character? Did that question make any sense? Lol.

And if you don't post an update soon, I'm gonna retire Satan's Playground!! :P
"Stories are often the lives we wish we could live."
~Me

MonkeyAbu

Don't threaten me PR, or I will so send Spidey after Sharky! I expect to have an ITNC update very soon! Now onto your questions...

What inspired this story? I mean, did you wake up one day and just decide to write a story about Brian on the brink of losing his life or did you input some personal experiences of your own? And I dunno if this was discussed before (it probably was but I forgot, lol.) but was the title "If Tomorrow Never Comes" from the song? I really like it. :) Oh, and how would you incooporate the title with the character? Did that question make any sense? Lol.

At first I think it was one of those things where I just decided one day that I wanted to write a story focused mainly on Brian because I wasn't happy with how the few stories I was working on were going and I was getting ready to ditch them.

I actually incorporated a bit of personal experience that I went through with my grandma when she was dying with cancer. She started having heart problems and at one point we were told that her heart was failing, so the emotions that I went through at that time acted as inspiration as some of the emotions I've incorporated into ITNC.

To answer your question about the title, yes, it does come from the song with the same title. ITNC originally had a different title I believe, but I wasn't pleased with it and decided it needed a change. I think that came about when I decided to change the story line. When I was trying to come up with a new title, I remembered a short story that I had read years and years ago centered around Kevin that I think had the same title, had to do with him dying, but it was a completely different story line. I thought ITNC fit what I was trying to express in the story, so that's how I chose it.

I think I understand your last question. I suppose I incorporate the title with Brian because of what he is going through. And gosh darnit, I just totally blanked on how my explanation was going to go. Give me some time and I may come back to try to answer the rest of that question when I'm not having so much of a dufo moment. LoL.

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
  • I have no idea what I'm getting myself into

Damnit Ash, Sharky will RIP Spidey apart!! Lmao. But thanks for answering my questions, and I'm glad to say that you understood EXACTLY what my question was and answered perfectly. Yay! ;D I actually wrote an original fic titled the same thing, inspired by the song, but no one died... I think, lol. No wait, on second thought, it was suicide, so yah someone did die, lol. I love that song though. So, I know you still have an answer for my last dumb question, but I have another one for you. Since we're on the topic of titles, and you mentioned that this story was titled something else before, but if you were title your story something else, that still captured the essence of your story, what would it be?
"Stories are often the lives we wish we could live."
~Me

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Good questions Reb lol you are making my job easier.

What was your favorite scene to write so far?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

luna610

• Minion of Mayhem

Congrats Ashley! I have to check this story out...I believe that Reb has told me about it before.
"Be yourself because the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

MonkeyAbu

Thank you Sel! I hope you enjoy it! :)

MonkeyAbu

Since we're on the topic of titles, and you mentioned that this story was titled something else before, but if you were title your story something else, that still captured the essence of your story, what would it be?

Now that I think about it, I believe the original title was "Heart To Heart" and if I remember correctly, I think I may have originally posted it under that title, but then since I was changing the story line, I decided to change the title to ITNC. Um, if I were to title the story something else...maybe "When The Sand Runs Out"?

MonkeyAbu

What was your favorite scene to write so far?

I would have answered this question sooner but I found it rather difficult to pick just one. I have a bunch of moments that I love, but I suppose I'ma have to say chapter 13.

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8337&chapter=13

I'm picking this chapter (to me it works together as just one big scene) because of the collection of emotions that are thrown in and I'm big on emotions.

It takes place two months after the moment that changed Brian's life. There's a certain air of awkwardness that lingers in the background, first before Brian even enters the building, when it's just AJ, Howie, Kevin, and Nick in the room. Then Brian steps in and the awkwardness gets pretty powerful. Between all of the characters I think it was unintentional but natural at the same time because of what has happened and as it explains in the first part of the chapter, they hadn't all seen each other since Brian was released from the hospital. After that they seem to try too hard to act normal, but everyone knows that always backfires in a situation because then it just gets even more awkward. Towards the end of the chapter they get down to business and discuss what the plans for the group should be. This is where things get sticky. Brian is having a hard time dealing with what's happened and what's gonna happen. He ends up taking offense to what is being said when the guys are only looking out for his best interests. I don't know if any of my explanation made sense, but I guess what I am trying to say is that I think chapter 13 is a great example of the beginning of all of the inner turmoil everyone starts to go through, especially Brian. That's why it's my favorite scene so far?

luna610

• Minion of Mayhem

Just want to say that I've been reading, and I love the story so far!!!
"Be yourself because the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

MonkeyAbu

Thank you Sel! I am reading your reviews right now and I appreciate your feedback! :)

sweet18_2003

• Captain of Commotion
    • My Space

I so suck and found this for the first time...but CONGRATS!!!! You got your month!!! GO Ashie!!!

MonkeyAbu

^ Why tankies! Yay! :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7