Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ugh, I HATE research...  (Read 3901 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Ugh, I HATE research...
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 10:03:53 PM »

Maybe I'm weird, but I actually kinda like doing research LOL.  Research for stories, that is.  Fun research.  I think of it like a quest, a quest for information! :D  LMAO no but really, it's like a mission, and the more specific it is, the more determined I am to find what I'm looking for.

As far as places go, it really does depend on what kind of info you're looking for.  I use a lot of Wikipedia, Google image search for maps, Mapquest and Google Maps, Google Earth...  Those are good for the physical aspects of a place.  As far as the "feel" of a place, that's a lot harder.  Maybe you could see if you can find someone from Brooklyn or who knows Brooklyn well who you could ask questions.  Maybe a thread on LD; I'm sure there are some people there who could help you.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 10:20:35 PM »

See, I knew Julie would have a better answer than I did. lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 08:48:16 PM »

Thank you hun!! I went to google and tried looking up images and all that jazz, lol. But thanks for helping me!! :)

You are very welcome!

And I agree with the other girls, research can be fun...a lot of times when I am uninspired I will do it about a place and starting looking at potential locations for where scenes could take place, it is kind of fun and helps get me back on tracks sometimes.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 02:57:18 AM »

^ Yeah, I have found that too.  Researching helps get me inspired because usually it helps put a more vivid picture of what I'm trying to write in my mind, whether it's a specific location or just a situation.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: 1 [2]