Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Featured Story of the Month for August 2008 - In Pieces by Sakabelle  (Read 8710 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

I know this is Howie's month but this is a Nick centered story. Sorry Howie :( lol

Anyway, a lot of people recommended this story as one to be discussed so here it is!

Feel free to post your comments and questions about this story in here as the month goes by and i'm sure Sakabelle will be more than happy to answer questions for you!

Hope you enjoy!

Here's the link to the story: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8805

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Featured Story of the Month for August 2008 - In Pieces by Sakabelle
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 09:05:44 AM »

Here's a survey for you to fill out! lol

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

4) If you could cast this story as a movie who would play the main roles and why?

5) Have you ever thought of giving up on the story and if you did what made you continue to work on it?

6) What was your writing process? (Outline, make it up as you go along, the characters wrote it, I am Tonja and plagerized lol)

7) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?

8 ) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?

9) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?

10) If we like this story...then we'd love what story? (Could be by you or someone else) and obviously tell us why lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:10:06 AM »

Yay!  This is super exciting :) Thanks for choosing me (and In Pieces) as featured author/story for this month!

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?
Something that no one else knows?  There's a lot of things haha, there's one big thing, but it's a big spoiler for the end, so I won't say what it is, except for the fact that the ending is totally opposite from what I originally planned it out to be.  Oh, also when I was writing this story I absolutely had to have a bottle of that Arizona Iced Tea to drink.  I don't know why, but before I sat down to write I would always go down to the corner store to get one, haha.  That's not really about the story.. but maybe all the sugar/caffeine is what helped me churn out updates so quickly :P

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?
About six weeks, no jokes.  It's not too long of a story, but I was on a major update roll, and this story wrote itself very very easily.  I remember churning out a chapter every couple of days.  Those were the days lol

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.
Hmm...
Back in 2001, Ashleigh and Nick had a fling, leaving her wanting more.  When the two cross paths once again during the Unbreakable tour, will she fall back into his arms, or will she be able to get over him once and for all?

4) If you could cast this story as a movie who would play the main roles and why?
Well I would obviously have Nick star as himself.. for Ashleigh I think I would have Reese Witherspoon because she just strikes me as quite innocent and sweet but with a little bit of an edge (just a little bit) and for Joey, maybe Eliza Dushku or someone like that. 

5) Have you ever thought of giving up on the story and if you did what made you continue to work on it?
I never seriously thought of giving it up, but a struggled a bit with the ending and wasn't sure what to do with it.  But I was fairly motivated with this story, (mostly because it was my first one to get a lot of reviews) so I never seriously thought of giving it up.

6) What was your writing process? (Outline, make it up as you go along, the characters wrote it, I am Tonja and plagerized lol)
This was the first story I ever actually outlined.  The reason for that is it's really two separate stories - the story of Nick and Ashleigh's past, and the story of when they meet up again in the present.  Each chapter alternates, and the events somewhat parallel each other.  In order to accomplish that, I had to outline every chapter first to make sure it matched up.  This because an issue when I changed my ending, because I had to add more chapters to the present so some of the past chapters are a bit flat and full of filler.  But hopefully what I added to the present made up for the lack of excitement in the past.

7) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?
That's a toughie!  I love all my characters in this story... I think I'm going to give you two separate answers.  In the past scenes, my favourite character was Ashleigh.  She was just so teeny and hilarious to write.  She was completely over the top, so that made her a lot of fun.  I was worried she'd come off as unbelievable, but it seemed to work. 
For the present, my favourite character is probably Nick.  He was incredibly sweet and showed a lot of growth and maturity from the past (not that Ashleigh didn't, but Nick.. more so.) So yeah, I'd go with him. 

8 ) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?
Can I give you two answers again?  Well I'm going to :P
For the past, it would probably have to be Nick.  He was just such an oblivious douchebag.  Ashleigh was clearly in love with him and he was pretty much just using her so he wouldn't have to deal with his own issues.  It annoyed the hell out of me to have to write him like that, but it was necessary.  Plus, if he hadn't been a jerk in the past, there really would be no story for the present :P
In the present, my least favourite is Matt, Ashleigh's jerkface fiance.  He treats her like crap, and is a real indecisive controlling jerk.  But I'd be lying if I said it wasn't fun to write his scenes, particularly his last one  :D

9) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?
Yep, they're all there!  And they all served an important purpose, too.  Brian and Kevin of course had their wives, making Nick jealous, which caused him to pick up Ashleigh in the first place.  AJ and Howie were around to keep Joey company while Ashleigh went off gallivanting with Nick.  AJ was also around to offer Nick advice in the present, when he does meet up with Ashleigh again.

10) If we like this story...then we'd love what story? (Could be by you or someone else) and obviously tell us why lol
Well, if you liked this one I'd hope that you'd check out the sequel to it called My Happy Ending.  It's a lot sadder than In Pieces, but I felt like I did a much better job with it.  It develops the characters a lot more, and gives you more insight to their personalities now.  Plus the plot is a bit better since I didn't have to alternate between two points in time :)

Yay! I'm so excited about this! I hope some of you take time to read this story this month, it's the first one that I finished here on AC, the first one to get a rather large readership, and I kind of love it a lot. 
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 01:05:19 PM »

Congrats Saka! :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 02:26:47 PM »

Congratulations. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 02:58:35 PM »

YAY!  Congrats, hun!

MonkeyAbu

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 04:10:37 PM »

Awww, congrats Saka! ;D I said in my thread that I need to read something of yours and this presents me with the perfect opportunity. So I give you my promise right now that I will have read IP in it's entirety before we meet up later this month and I will leave ya some reviews too!

So, question...how did you come up with the idea for this story? I know you said you couldn't write it without drinking your Arizona Iced Tea. Did that have something to do with it? LoL. Were you just sitting around one day drinking your Arizona and it was like *POOF!* and the idea just popped into your head?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 05:20:42 PM »

Another question for you, what made you choose Nick as the main character?

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 06:10:04 PM »

Awww, congrats Saka! ;D I said in my thread that I need to read something of yours and this presents me with the perfect opportunity. So I give you my promise right now that I will have read IP in it's entirety before we meet up later this month and I will leave ya some reviews too!

Aw thanks hun!  I hope you enjoy it :) And I will try to get to reading ITNC as well!

So, question...how did you come up with the idea for this story? I know you said you couldn't write it without drinking your Arizona Iced Tea. Did that have something to do with it? LoL. Were you just sitting around one day drinking your Arizona and it was like *POOF!* and the idea just popped into your head?

It was sort of weird how I came up with the idea, actually.  It just randomly popped into my head as I was walking to school, coincidentally, listening to the song "In Pieces" and I toyed with the idea a bit.  Each time I listened to the song I'd play with another scene in my head, the whole heartbreak theme of the song was easy, and that part came quickly.  But some lyrics game me specific parts such as:

I don't wanna be somewhere where you can watch me as I breathe
sort of gave me the idea for her to go to a concert, front row, and having Nick see her.  I can still picture that vividly in my mind, her standing there uncomfortably, at a concert she really doesn't want to be at, and Nick glancing at her...

There are a couple more examples but they are a little spoilerific lol.  So I will just say that the song wrote the story, per se.  You know what I mean?  I molded it around my interpretation of the song :)
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 06:15:50 PM »

Another question for you, what made you choose Nick as the main character?

Nick's always been my favourite, and I usually only write about him, so that part was easy.  But it also seemed to fit him.  He has a lot of issues in this story, mostly feeling left out because Brian and Kevin are now married so he tries to seek out the same kind of companionship with Ashleigh.  Of course he goes about it in completely the wrong way, because he's so young and still isn't sure what he wants.  Even though Nick is my favourite, because of the commitment issues he has and because of how stubborn he is, I don't think it would have worked with any of the other guys.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

DaniGiggles

• Captain of Commotion
  • I shall call him squishy and he shall be mine
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 09:16:45 PM »

Oh my God, I am a horrible human being. I haven't been on here in... months. Damn summer school and work! One more week and I'll be on here again much more.

Steph.... CONGRATS! I'm so happy for you! You totally deserve this :) In Pieces is what got me hooked on you lol It's a wonderful story written by a wonderful author.

P.S. I hope you're doing well.

P.P.S. *mass amounts of hugs* Muuuuuah!
Becca: I *so* flirt with you in math.
Evan: Tell me about it. I - same-sies.
~Superbad

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Some love is not really love at all..
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 07:40:31 AM »

Congratulation s!!!
Not every dream is supposed to come true
Some words are best unsaid
Some love is not really love at all
I keep everything I shared with you
And that's enough.. there's us..

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 08:05:16 AM »

I had no idea Nick was your favorite. For some reason I thought AJ was your favorite lol

Steph

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Trying to forget; the pain's still there.
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 06:40:34 PM »

Congratulation s, Steph.

Dean & Sam Winchester.
Hunters. Protectors. Survivors. Family.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 07:12:54 PM »

Aw thanks you guys for all the congrats :)

Dani, I'm glad to see you on here again! I've missed you! *muah*

Mare, you probably thought AJ was my favourite because I'm so frequent in the AJ gals thread :P and I'm also writing on the AJ collab.  He is a very close second to Nickers :)
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: [1] 2 3