Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The September challenge  (Read 16439 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The September challenge
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 10:34:39 PM »

I know this is just a silly challenge on a silly forum but it does say a lot about someone's personality when you commit to things and then make excuses.

Exactly.  This is my biggest pet peeve with collaborating lately.  If you commit to writing a part and say you're going to write it by such and such day, then DO IT!  Don't disappear and come back with an excuse and no part... over and over again.  It is so flaky and annoying.

I think the busy excuse is a cop-out.  What's the REAL reason you haven't done the challenge?  No motivation?  Writer's block?  Can't get started?  Too tough of a challenge?  Be honest.  If it was something you really wanted to do, you would have made the time to do it by now.

I'm not trying to offend anyone who didn't do the August challenge; honestly, I don't really care.  I'm just ranting about the whole flakey, making excuses thing in general.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 10:37:05 PM »

^ same here, don't mean to take out all my frustrations on the challenge people lol but it's just an example of what ticks me off! I should just post this all in that pet peeve thread!

This is another reason why I refuse to write with other people, especially when I see things like that happening time and time again! I am much to anal to live with excuses.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 10:37:55 PM »

Yeah...typing is hard when my daughter likes to crawl on my lap, punch keys, shut off the monitor, scream, cry, beg for food, sit on the keyboard...and do you have any idea how many times I clean my living room, in a day?!? lmao...and I work a full time job, too.

So yeah...I agree that everyone is busy, in thier own ways!

Oh, I can imagine.  I used to babysit, and once I stayed for a whole weekend with these two kids, a four-year-old and a two-year-old, and omg... I was so fried and ready to go home by the end of that experience!!  Best kids in the world, but to have to keep an eye on them constantly and not have any time to myself... I just couldn't imagine living that way all the time!  I know it's different when they're your own kids and that at some point I'll be ready for that change, but right now I'm not ready to give up my freedom!
~Julie

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 10:38:56 PM »

this month? For me? It was the lack of challenge... I know there are a couple I haven't done in the past, but eh... I decided just to wait for next month when there's a new challenge...  Ooh, plus, next month is October. I had WAY too much fun with last year's October challenge.  wow. can't believe it's been that long... geez I'm wasting away my life on this board with you guys.

(and loving it!)
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 10:41:46 PM »

This is another reason why I refuse to write with other people, especially when I see things like that happening time and time again! I am much to anal to live with excuses.

Exactly... and it's so hard because you're writing with friends, and you don't want to be anal and come across as bitchy or even tyrannical if you don't put up with the excuses... but at the same time, if you don't say anything, then nothing will get done, and that's how collabs fall apart.

LOL this should definitely go in the pet peeve thread or one of the collab threads we've had, cause I'm definitely talking more about that than this challenge.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 10:43:25 PM »

lmao I had a feeling!

I just added it to the pet peeve thread and Kelly, I'm not even making an October challenge because i'm so disgusted with this August one.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 10:44:27 PM »

this month? For me? It was the lack of challenge... I know there are a couple I haven't done in the past, but eh... I decided just to wait for next month when there's a new challenge...  Ooh, plus, next month is October. I had WAY too much fun with last year's October challenge.  wow. can't believe it's been that long... geez I'm wasting away my life on this board with you guys.

(and loving it!)

You did the August challenge though, right?  I think that's what we're complaining about... people who didn't do it in August and STILL didn't get to it in September.

I didn't do any challenge this month either, but then again, I generally DON'T do the challenges, so that's nothing new for me.  I'm just not really into them.  But I committed to the August one because it appealed to me, and I loved my challenge, and I followed through with it.  I still want to write the continuation I was planning, but I'm just kinda waiting for the right mood to strike for that one, so it's not forced.  I fulfilled the terms of the challenge with the first story, so the other is on my terms.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 10:50:31 PM »

You can tell we are teachers lmao

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 11:05:13 PM »

lame. ok. fine.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2008, 11:06:27 PM »

LOL yes :P
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2008, 11:07:14 PM »

You can make an October challenge, Kelly!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2008, 11:09:43 PM »

Yup, no one is stopping you. I'm just not doing it. I have sadly lost faith in the writers on this forum *sigh* lol

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2008, 11:22:08 PM »

Yup, no one is stopping you. I'm just not doing it. I have sadly lost faith in the writers on this forum *sigh* lol

sadly... I've lost faith in my fan fic writing self, so I can't really blame you.

fracktrain

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2008, 10:14:29 AM »

Go ahead Kelly make one up! I'll write a story for you ;) lol I love the challenge stuff.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2008, 01:31:57 PM »

Go ahead Kelly make one up! I'll write a story for you ;) lol I love the challenge stuff.
  you mean you'd answer my challenge the way 19 other people said tey'd answer the august challenge and didn't? Sorry... ranting...

But thanks fracktrain (sorry, not sure of your name?) I'll think of one. I'd be excited to have at least one other person write the challenge with me...

It's just that the challenges seem to be the only fan fic I really write anymore. I'd hate to stop doing that as well.

Ok, seriously, I have a deadline, so I'm off to go write! I need to restore Mare's faith. (in me at least.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6