Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: about reviews versus constructive criticism  (Read 8618 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
about reviews versus constructive criticism
« on: January 21, 2007, 03:40:17 PM »

Do you think there is a difference?

I have been enjoying everyone's take on CC (i'm getting too lazy to keep spelling it out lol) on the latest survey I just posted, and I was wondering do you guys feel there is a difference? Like for instance on the AC site, we ask for reviews. For me personally I think there's a big difference between the two.

To me, when I think of CC, it's because I am unsure of a plot point or something and I am looking for guidance or help with it. In that case, I ask for ideas and suggestions. For a review however, I am looking for what people felt about the chapter I just posted. Whether they enjoyed reading it or not. I'm not necessarily asking for assistance on how I can make it better, just on how the reader felt it came across.

Now, I think that if you personally say at the beginning of the chapter or at the end, any ideas or suggestions would be helpful, then that opens you up for the CC. Otherwise I kind of feel like the person leaving the review is taking a 'holier than thou' approach. lol

I hope that doesn't make me sound horribly conceited or anything  lol I know some people don't see a difference between the two, just wondering if i'm alone on that thinking.

Because I know personally, I would never leave a CC review, once again unless it was asked for. I mean i'd be detailed and say what I liked or disliked but as far as telling someone how it can be better, I keep that to myself.

Just my take

any others want to tackle this one?  :P ;D
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: about reviews versus constructive criticism
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 04:20:29 PM »

I'll tackle this! ;D

I've always felt that Con Crit. is a type of review, but review is a broader spectrum as a whole.

Basically, any comment a reader leaves on a story is a review, even a flame. But I feel reviews are more or less for readers to say what they liked and what they didn't like, or to make requests of some sort.

Con Crit. is where a readersays what they liked and explains, then mentions what didn't work for them and why not. They can also point out if they feel there's something missing or if part of a passage confused them.

When I give Con Crit., it depends on the situation, and how well I know the person. I won't say always *cough* but a lot of times, my friends are more than happy for me to drawl on about how I felt about a particular scene.... Assuming I have a point. If I don't, I'll say it's good. For people I don't know, I'll either tell them to keep up the good work, what I liked particularly well, or if something confused me. And I'll point out spelling/grammar, because it irks me a lot. Otherwise, I'll say nothing and probaly put it down.

There was one time in particualr, I can recount, where I sort of went off on one of my writing buddies. I handled it for a while, but she's a high school senior and wanted to write a story about college.... And said that students bough books for class in the library. So I stepped up and put my opinion of college life in there, and she then decided to change it to a High School fic. But... I know her pretty well, so I think it's different.

~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 05:44:17 PM »

I agree with Dee's answer.  To me, the term "review" makes me think of movie reviews or book reviews, where positive or negative opinions are allowed and expected.  When you post a story on a site that has a place for reviews and ratings, you're opening yourself up for both.  I don't expect all reviews to be positive, although if someone is going to leave a negative review, I would hope they would at least say SOMETHING positive and leave some constructive criticism, as opposed to just criticism, especially for a work in progress that still can be improved.

So on that note, I do think there's a difference between the two.  Constructive criticism is - or can be - a part of reviewing.

Personally, I'm not into leaving constructive criticism either unless I'm asked, or unless I feel like there's just one thing I can point out that would make a difference in a story that already has a lot of potential.  For example, I left a review once for a story that I really liked, and I told the author how much I liked the story and how I enjoyed her character-writing and whatnot, but then I pointed out that one thing she might want to watch is her tenses, cause she tended to switch tenses a lot.  I didn't think I was out of line in saying that because the rest of my review was very positive, and just making sure she stuck to one tense would have done so much to make her story even better.

I'm open to that kind of constructive criticism on my own stories.  Like I said in one of the other threads, what I don't like is when it's given with that "holier than thou" attitude Mare mentioned, like "I'm better than you, and I know everything about writing, so here's how you should write your story."  Um, no.  Don't go there.  LOL
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 08:41:04 PM »

I'm not sure if I say the two are seperate, but they are closely related and you can have one without the other. Reviews usually aren't very long. I try to limit to a sentence or two of what I liked/didn't like in a story. I'm never rude though in a review and basically I'd just point out grammer or like Dee said things that were confusing me.

I feel like cc takes a lot more work. It's definitely more in depth. When I give CC I try to be nit picky, but it also depends on who I'm giving it to. Most of my friends appreciate me pointing out lil details. I'd never though just give CC to someone I didn't know on AC. If you're on a fan fic board like this one or Ethereality (when it was active) I assume that you're there cuz you WANT CC.

LenniluvsBrian

• General Pandemonium
  • You gave me a smile that I will never forget.....
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 10:42:27 PM »

I'm mostly just a reviewer & not a CC type person. I mean, occassionally, I will start to read a fic & if it's too complicated to read for whatever reason, I'll make a suggestion on how to make it a lil' easier to read - but then I'll usually sate what I liked about the fic or what I'd like to see - yanno, my usual screaming & ranting because a character is being evil to another character-lol.

I'm sure most of you know just HOW into a fic I can get-lol. I mean, it IS your characters I'm yelling at - haha.

Hope I made at least SOME sense.

~Lenni~
Concert Tickets: $270
3 BSB T-Shirts: $105
BSB Sweater: $85
Poster & Book: $30
Having Brian grab me & pull me close during sound check: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Ticket: $14.95
Bus Fare: $3.50
Marilyn Denis Show Ticket: Free
Nick Carter singing to me on live television: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
    • Drifting-In-Between-Dreams A Place to Lose Reality if Only for a Moment
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 11:50:59 PM »

I only give cc when it's asked for or needed. For me CC is meant to be helpful, and I've had teachers who didn't get that concept and would do it to be jerky. But yeah anyways reviews I like, I'm just picky I want to know what they liked, how it affected them you know? But I'm a nosey brat like that LOL.

Teri
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."
Angel: "Spike.... just walk away"
Spike: "You're a..."
Angel: "Don't say it!"
Spike: "You're a bleeding puppet!"

mers

• Captain of Commotion
  • the other M
    • Unveiled Thoughts
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 04:11:10 AM »

I think there's a fine line between them isnt it? I used to end my chapters (when i actually remember in all that haste) with 'constructive criticism are welcomed' but sometimes i get stuff like 'i dont understand what you're trying to say in this particular scene, it read weird...' or 'your tenses are all over the place' and then just leave it at that. I think it'd be more helpful if they point out what they meant, like 'i notice you used 'coz' a lot and i think what you want to write is 'cause' because that's the proper English to write unless it's used in a conversation and the character is pulling a slang or something.' So then, i learnt something from it.

Reviews, to me, is when someone give me their opinion on what they thought of the chapter, they're usually there just to let us know they're reading and what they think about it rather than pointing out our mistakes or how it should be done. A simple 'im liking it so far' goes a long way for me.

also, CC ettiquette (sp? lol) is very important i think. while we're there to point out stuff that we feel might help the writer to better themselves, it's always nice to balance our CC with compliments, because i do believe there's always something good in a fic even if it's filled with tons of mistakes. We dont want to drive writers away, we want them to grow because we're all we have in order to be sure this fandom stays alive and kicking.

also if i feel like there's a lot to say to a writer, and in order to help her/him along where im going to quote stuff from the chapter and explain myself thoroughly, i'd email the writer instead of posting it as a review.
What succor, what consolation is there in truth, compared to a story? What good is truth, at midnight, in the dark, when the wind is roaring like a bear in the chimney? What you need are the plump comforts of a story. Th soothing, rocking safety of a lie - Vida Winter

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 02:51:15 PM »

I only give cc when it's asked for or needed. For me CC is meant to be helpful, and I've had teachers who didn't get that concept and would do it to be jerky.

A teacher is a different issue. It's their job to tell you how you can improve, so I think your point is a little off base.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 03:04:52 PM »

I'll agree to a point. The teacher I was mentioning he was down right crude like instead of saying "ok try using this technique to improve your writing." he would say "your writing sucks fix it." which is exactly what we don't want for any kind of criticism because it doesn't help at all.
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 03:44:50 PM »

I'll agree to a point. The teacher I was mentioning he was down right crude like instead of saying "ok try using this technique to improve your writing." he would say "your writing sucks fix it." which is exactly what we don't want for any kind of criticism because it doesn't help at all.

Then he's just a poor teacher.
~*Dee*~

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 07:51:53 PM »

I'm more of a CC person merely because I'm kind of a holier than thou person. :) I am also a bit of a grammar nazi, so when I see things that just don't/won't/can't work in fics I have a tendancy to explain the problem and suggest ways of fixing it as a review. Hence the reason I have ended up being a beta reader for many of the grammatically challenged lol

Then when I like what I read all I have to do is congratulate the person on a chapter well written, and hope for more. I like getting constructive criticism aswell, as long as it has a solid base, and isn't just a "I didn't like it, because I think it's a stupid idea" kind of deal.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 07:31:13 PM »

Then he's just a poor teacher.

Exactly! Hence why I dropped the class