Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sticky situation.  (Read 9812 times)

BSB-Chick-101♥

• Captain of Commotion
  • I've got it bad...and I've got it good!
Sticky situation.
« on: October 12, 2008, 04:54:47 PM »

As you all know I'm new here to AC. While I know my writing does need lots of work and all that so I wanted to ask some of my favorite writers for any advice on improving to get some constructive criticism. So I emailed one in particular, a very popular writer on AC with a big following of her series and this is the reply I got back. I'm not sure how to deal with it since I was taken aback by the rudeness of her words I was wondering what everyone else thought?

Dear Leigh-Anna, BSB-Chick-101 or Whoever you are.

You honestly think your series is better than mine?! HA! Well guess what sweetie I have some news for you. Your series will just be a little fly on the wall compared to mine. Leigh-Anna sweetie you can fall off the face of the earth of fan fiction and no one would give a flying fuck! Let me tell you some of the things that are wrong with your stories, lets begin.

1. You have NO plot, and your characters are moronic.
2. You ONLY used Nick as the main guy because you read my series and took the ideas you bitch!
3. There’s no description what so ever!
4. Overall, you just suck as a writer.

So just do everyone a favor, go to writers heaven. I guarantee no one would give a shit. They’ll just read mine. So long fan fic bitch.

Thats what she said, I was only looking for some constructive critism from one of my favorite authors and this is what I got back. And I just wanted to see what everyone else would do if they were in my situation?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 04:57:01 PM by BSB-Chick-101♥ »
Um, not really much to say. Hi?

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
    • Drifting-In-Between-Dreams A Place to Lose Reality if Only for a Moment
Re: Sticky situation.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 05:00:38 PM »

Geesh...that's terrible...the nerve of some people. I mean if you're asking for constructive criticism and all a simple "no i just don't have the time but thanks for reading my work" would suffice.

I'm sorry hon that you had to deal with that! No one should be that mean.

Personally if I were a beginner and had that happen I would use that as a motivator to improve myself and prove that person wrong. Turning a negative into a positive you know?
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."
Angel: "Spike.... just walk away"
Spike: "You're a..."
Angel: "Don't say it!"
Spike: "You're a bleeding puppet!"

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 05:07:56 PM »

Ok well regardless of whatever you might of said in your original e-mail to her and I am sure that you came off as very polite this response is completely uncalled for! I mean I understand that some authors just don't have the time or the paitence to help out a new writer, but the least this person could've done was cordially reply, "You know what? I'd love to help you out, but I have way too much on my plate right now. I am flattered by your asking though." I mean I myself have been in the position where an author has asked for my help and I just couldn't handle taking them on at the moment and I know I was much more polite than that. There's no excuse to talk to another writer like that, period.

As a person who has had my writing trashed in the past, you can only take those tiny bits of critiscism that was given and work them out and become a better writer in the long run. I wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for people like this. If this is how someone is going to treat their readers this self proclaimed fan fic queen is going to find that no one is going to be around to read her stories and she'll end up destroying herself. Karma will get her.

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 05:12:32 PM »

Ok well regardless of whatever you might of said in your original e-mail to her and I am sure that you came off as very polite this response is completely uncalled for! I mean I understand that some authors just don't have the time or the paitence to help out a new writer, but the least this person could've done was cordially reply, "You know what? I'd love to help you out, but I have way too much on my plate right now. I am flattered by your asking though." I mean I myself have been in the position where an author has asked for my help and I just couldn't handle taking them on at the moment and I know I was much more polite than that. There's no excuse to talk to another writer like that, period.

As a person who has had my writing trashed in the past, you can only take those tiny bits of critiscism that was given and work them out and become a better writer in the long run. I wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for people like this. If this is how someone is going to treat their readers this self proclaimed fan fic queen is going to find that no one is going to be around to read her stories and she'll end up destroying herself. Karma will get her.

Totally agree Mel! I've had my writing trashed by someone who was one of my beta's at one point and I was down in the dumps for weeks. Thankfully I had Mel to slap some sense into me and I think I've improved vastly in my writing since. You just gotta tell em to go eff themselves in your head and keep working on it. Hopefully whoever this was will get their commuppance!
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 05:57:53 PM »

I think maybe the best thing to do is email this person back and explain how incredibly rude they were to you. I'm not sure starting this thread was the best idea.

To me it sounded like maybe you alluded to the fact that you thought you were a better writer than she is and sometimes that's all an ego needs to hear to go off the deep end. Either way, she was rude and hopefully she'll apologize and the two of you can work it out. If not, then her stuff isn't worth the read anymore. At least that's how i'd look at it.

I'll keep this thread open for now because perhaps said perosn will want to come in and defend herself, but i'm warning now if it gets ugly it'll be closed and perhaps people will get banned. Yes, I said it!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 06:03:41 PM »

I think maybe the best thing to do is email this person back and explain how incredibly rude they were to you. I'm not sure starting this thread was the best idea.

To me it sounded like maybe you alluded to the fact that you thought you were a better writer than she is and sometimes that's all an ego needs to hear to go off the deep end. Either way, she was rude and hopefully she'll apologize and the two of you can work it out. If not, then her stuff isn't worth the read anymore. At least that's how i'd look at it.

I'll keep this thread open for now because perhaps said perosn will want to come in and defend herself, but i'm warning now if it gets ugly it'll be closed and perhaps people will get banned. Yes, I said it!

I agree with you for the most part. Hopefully it can get resolved. From what it seems like to me Leigh-Anna said she was looking for constructive criticism on her work. And from what I know of her she's pretty humble and doesn't try to boast about her own work so I'm not so sure that she'd actually say her writing was better since she was asking a writer who she admires for help on improving her work.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 06:07:27 PM »

That may be, that's just how I interpreted it.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 06:10:04 PM »

That may be, that's just how I interpreted it.

Yeah I thought the same thing when I first read that email but after talking to Leigh-Anna she's pretty self-depricating when it comes to her work and is always looking for a way to improve it. Either way that's a pretty cruel response from that writer.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 06:13:51 PM »

I agree

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 06:16:07 PM »

Wow... I cannot even believe that is for real, that someone would actually write that response to you!  I'm honestly shocked and appalled.  It's disgusting!

Like others have said...
1) I can understand an author not having time or just not feeling obligated to read your stories and give you constructive criticism.  But there is a tactful way to tell you that, and that obviously was far from it.
2) If you did somehow insinuate that your stories were better than hers, I can understand her taking offense to that... but again, there's a mature way to respond that doesn't include the flaming, personal insults, and rude language.

I can see Mare's point in encouraging you to reply to the author instead of starting a thread here, but personally, I'm glad you did, and I kinda wish I knew who you were talking about, cause that is someone whose stories I would want to avoid.  Probably I already do avoid them, cause judging by the author's writing, they'd have too many grammar issues for my taste.  (Lack of punctuation makes my eyes hemorrhage.)

If you're going to email her back, I would encourage you to keep it mature and "polite."  Don't stoop to her level by calling her names or insulting her or her stories back.  Reply once or not at all, and let it go.  She's not worth getting upset over.  If you enjoy writing, then keep writing, and forget what some deluded, raging egomaniac has to say about it.  The more you write and read, the better you will get; it's as simple as that.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 06:17:49 PM »

w.o.w.  

I guess my only advice would be just to leave it like it is. Some things are really not worth perusing. She's obviously looking for drama and clearly won't be of any help to you in the future, so I would just try my best to ignore it. No need to get nasty back.

Seriously, what else can I say? Just that hopefully she's one in a million. (and not in a cool-BSB-song kind of way) That was definitely awful of her to write that, but I hope you realize that that can't possibly be the norm. I hope this doesn't stop you from seeking out constructive feedback in the future.

Good luck with your future writing! May you have better luck with all the other authors here.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 06:21:55 PM »

Yup, I also wanted to add that it shouldn't discourage you from writing. If anything, let it be a motivater.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 06:23:56 PM »

And maybe make a dart board out of one of her stories... (or a banner if she has one.) that might make you feel a little better.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 06:27:11 PM »

And maybe make a dart board out of one of her stories... (or a banner if she has one.) that might make you feel a little better.

LOL! Kelly you crack me up. Yeah I agree I would definitely make a dart board!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 06:29:42 PM »

Totally; if you did quit writing cause of this (and I don't see you as the type to do that), then she would win.  What you need to do is the exact opposite:  keep writing, use TRUE constructive criticism (which that was not) to help you write better, and stick around until this chick is a has-been who has retired to the realms of her so-called "writer's heaven" and YOUR stories are the new big thing.  I've been writing fanfic long enough that I have seen many authors like that come and go in the span of two years or so.  Meanwhile, here I am, still writing and getting reviews after like nine years of working at it LOL.  You don't wanna peak with your first story, or your second, or your third... those are practice.  Have fun with them, learn from them, and make each new story better than the one before it.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: [1] 2 3