Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: National Novel Writing Month  (Read 1581 times)

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
National Novel Writing Month
« on: November 02, 2008, 12:16:53 AM »

As a lot of you know November is National Novel Writing Month. I think I remember Kelly talking about this last year. Those of you who are unfamiliar with it, it is a program designed to challenge people to write a short novel in just thirty days. It only has to be 50,000 words and at the end of the month you submit it just to get your word count verified. The idea behind it is to get you writing and not worry about how it sounds. Like it could be total crap, but they don't want you editing it. It's all about getting out your creativity without any pressure.

I am considering trying this. I do have an idea for an original fiction that I wanted to fool around with. So, I might start it and just see what I can come out with. I think it might be a good assignment for me as a writer because I angst over what people think. Sometimes I forget to write for the sake of writing. Has anyone ever participated in NaNoWriMo before? Do you think it helped you as a writer? Does anyone plan on doing it this year?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: National Novel Writing Month
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 12:56:18 AM »

I tried NaNoWriMo in 2005, and I was pretty into it for about a week, and then I stopped dead on the story and never opened it again.  I ended up deleting it from my computer LOL.  But I did write a lot in a week, and it was a nice little break from BMS, and it reenergized me to go back to BMS.

I haven't tried it since, but I do think it's a nice idea for people who either have a hard time updating things and need to challenge themselves to write every day, or for people who stop to think about every word they write and keep rewording things until they sound just right (that is me these days).

If I had an idea for a quickie that I could just write and write on, I would probably try it again, but I always forget about it until it IS November, and then I have no idea, and so I don't do it.  And honestly, any idea that I find worthy of writing, I don't want to "waste" on NaNoWriMo because I want to do a good job with it... and that means taking my time, working on it when I feel inspired, and writing it well the first time... because if I write it quickly and poorly the first time, there won't be a second time because I don't like to rewrite.

If you decide to participate, good luck with it!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 09:40:35 AM »

Yea that is a good point Julie. I'm SO close to finishing ALTOS (two more chapters) that I want to finish that up first. I don't want to focus on something else for a month and leave my readers hanging. So I'm not sure if I'll do it or not. If I can bang out the rest of ALTOS like this week which is doubtful I'll do it, but otherwise I guess maybe next year. November starts getting crazy for me too. Why can't they make it like Janurary LOL

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 01:49:16 AM »

Yay for bumping year old threads!

Well folks, it's that time of year again and I'm ready to go! So I must ask, who else is with me? My goal this year, (other than the 50k goal, of course) is to participate in at least one write-in since I've never done that. My name over there is MsKelly so look me up and be my buddy!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.