Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why do...  (Read 6278 times)

BSB-Chick-101♥

• Captain of Commotion
  • I've got it bad...and I've got it good!
Why do...
« on: December 18, 2008, 04:23:54 PM »

Why do writers lose their interest in fan fiction, cause I don't about you all but fan fiction is my escape into my own little world. And I was just wondering if it's one of their "passions" then why do they just give it up?  ???
Um, not really much to say. Hi?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Why do...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 04:53:31 PM »

Well really it's only their business why they lose interest but there's many reasons.

People lose interest in lots of things. Sometimes they find something else that they're more passionate about, and other times they just get frustrated and stop.

It's the same with anything else, really. I know personally I was really into skating for all of my life, completely consumed by it and I got burned out, and eventually got tired of watching everyone else enjoy it while I had come to hate it so I moved on.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 05:01:01 PM »

I know for me personally, I haven't lost interest at all... I've just lost time.  I'm hoping to be able to start up again after the season, but I think sometimes people just grow and have careers or families and what they once did for fun has to take a backseat to everything else in life after that.  I don't every want to lose the enjoyment myself because it truly is the escape from reality... the time when I can create a world outside of my own... and I love it.
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 05:07:23 PM »

I know for me personally, I haven't lost interest at all... I've just lost time.  I'm hoping to be able to start up again after the season, but I think sometimes people just grow and have careers or families and what they once did for fun has to take a backseat to everything else in life after that.  I don't every want to lose the enjoyment myself because it truly is the escape from reality... the time when I can create a world outside of my own... and I love it.

It's absolutely a time thing too. Most of us started this hobby back when school was the focus (whether it be high school or college) and the majority of writing got done during holidays but once you're in a full time job, and start relationships, and families, etc... things that you never thought you'd want to give up just kind of drift to the background for a time.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 05:40:31 PM »

For me it just grew into something more. I still love the BSB but the fan fiction doesn't appeal to me as much anymore as the original fiction. I get tired of the same characters over and over and the same story lines over and over. I used to read and write a ton of fan fic and like Julilly said, it's a matter of getting burned out on it. Now I have to take long breaks between reading stories and I'm way more picky about what I like and what will hold my interest.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 06:30:25 PM »

I think it's sad when people lose interest in something they were once passionate about too, but it happens.  People grow up, they change, they get busy, they get interested in other hobbies that take the place of the old ones...  But it's still sad to see great writers lose interest in writing.

Personally, I can't fathom losing interest in writing or in writing Bsb fic at this point.  I don't even do it as much as I used to, mostly due to a lack of time and energy, but I still love it when I can do it.  It just doesn't occupy my thoughts as much as it used to... and I think that's mostly due to growing up, starting a career, and having so many other things to think about LOL.  But I look forward to those times when I can afford not to think about anything else and escape into that little fanfic world.  YAY WINTER BREAK!! :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 06:57:13 PM »

For me it just grew into something more. I still love the BSB but the fan fiction doesn't appeal to me as much anymore as the original fiction. I get tired of the same characters over and over and the same story lines over and over. I used to read and write a ton of fan fic and like Julilly said, it's a matter of getting burned out on it. Now I have to take long breaks between reading stories and I'm way more picky about what I like and what will hold my interest.

I knew we still shared the same brain lol  But, no, seriously, for me it's a matter of interest and wanting to expand beyond just the BSB world because AUs weren't cutting it for me, and then, on top of that, it was a matter of time as well.  I haven't had the time or, at least, any stress free time, so my energy to write anything dried up. Then, when I did find some energy, I wanted new characters, characters of my own, so I went into original fiction.

Writing is definitely my escape...just not BSB fic as much anymore.
Sarah

BSB-Chick-101♥

• Captain of Commotion
  • I've got it bad...and I've got it good!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 07:04:21 PM »

Personally, I can't fathom losing interest in writing or in writing Bsb fic at this point.  I don't even do it as much as I used to, mostly due to a lack of time and energy, but I still love it when I can do it.  It just doesn't occupy my thoughts as much as it used to... and I think that's mostly due to growing up, starting a career, and having so many other things to think about LOL.  But I look forward to those times when I can afford not to think about anything else and escape into that little fanfic world.  YAY WINTER BREAK!! :)

I don't think I'll lose my intrest in fan fiction until I'm like, 37 or something, 19 years down the road, aha. Anyway, I dont have as much time to do it either with school and all that shit. But I still write every change I get. So, I'm agreeing with you 1.000.000% here!! :D

I so agree!! People do grow up but still they grew up with this, if they lose intrest they lose intrest, but if they do get older, which they will, they should still put some effort into it, even just a short story about the boys now and then is perfectly fine. And....

DOUBLE YAY FOR WINTER BREAK!!! :) :) :)
Um, not really much to say. Hi?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 07:06:23 PM »

It's a lot easier to make the time when you're still in school, trust me.
~Maple Jellybean~

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 07:08:57 PM »

It's a lot easier to make the time AND still be interested when you have the time to devote to such interests. When you're worried about work and all the details of living your life after school, it's a lot harder to find the time to write even a short story.  I don't blame or judge people who've stopped writing or don't have the time.  It's part of life and growing older.  It's not like we writers owe the fandom anything.
Sarah

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 09:32:07 PM »

I don't know if growing up has a lot to do with it. I know for me it's more to do with current trends in fanfic. If I can't find anything to read that inspires me I lose interest.  I wrote the most when I was also reading the most. If there are tons of story out there to inspire you it's easy to come up with that extra push to want to write. At least for me, that's how it was.

Time like everyone has said, is also an issue. When you are so busy it almost feels like homework to have to write a chapter and that's when it stops being fun.

I am passionate about writing but yet I have a hard time motivating myself to do it. I'm not sure why that is and i'm trying to figure it out. I'm not as passionate about fanfic anymore, but every once in a while, I have those moments where I feel that zing again. I just need it to stay lol

Once again, can I just blame Kevin?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 09:39:34 PM »

^ That's a good point too; I definitely don't read as much as I used to, and reading inspires me to write, so that could be why I don't spend all the free time I have writing anymore LOL.  I still think it all goes back to time, but the fact that it's hard to find new stories that hook me is surely part of it too.  I've been making a lot more time to read for fun than I was ever able to do when I was in college, but I've been reading "real books," not fanfics.  I'm not saying there aren't good stories out there anymore, cause I know there are; I'm just pickier than I used to be with fanfics and have a hard time finding new stories that I actually get into.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 09:49:14 PM »

^ Same here. I haven't read a fanfic in a looong time. I have been reading a ton of books though.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 09:52:44 PM »

^ me too! I've read a TON of books this year. Maybe that's why I've been more into the original fiction. Because my reading focus went from fan fic to original fic.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 10:00:16 PM »

Ditto. I've devoured a ton of OF. Books and online fic.

The only fanfiction I was able to dabble in reading was based off the anime Inuyasha and that's because the idea (involving timetravel, demons, and reincarnation) is something I adore.

I've gotten so picky with BSB fanfic, but I think it's also because there's a lot less variety than there used to be. And that really bugs me to see all 3 recent pages be nothing but romance with similar plots...for example.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: [1] 2