Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: Mary Sue's...  (Read 2520 times)

BSB-Chick-101♥

• Captain of Commotion
  • I've got it bad...and I've got it good!
Mary Sue's...
« on: December 19, 2008, 01:15:57 PM »

I was just wondering, what is a Mary Sue? Cause I know I'm bad on the whole Mary Sue thing and I was wondering how can I (or anyone else) break out of that mold?
Um, not really much to say. Hi?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Mary Sue's...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 07:45:05 PM »

A Mary Sue is one of those female characters who is basically "perfect" - often times, a much idealized version of the author.  She's beautiful, she's got a sparkling personality, and everyone in the story loves her.  If she has any "flaws," they are the kind that only make her more "endearing" - like, because she was abused by her alcoholic father or cheated on by her loser boyfriend, she has low self-esteem and doesn't realize how beautiful she is.  Barf.

I guess the best way to avoid Mary Sue territory is to try and create a character who seems like a real person... but ISN'T a real person, a la yourself LOL.  You have to remember that even pretty people aren't flawless, and usually have personality flaws to make up for their lack of physical ones.  So give your character flaws - real flaws.  Annoying flaws, even.  Of course, you want her to be likeable to your readers, but you also want her to be interesting, and perfect isn't real or interesting.

The problem is, there's no exact formula for creating a great character.  It's not a science; it's an art.  It takes the right character traits, combined with the right story and style of writing, to create the magic of a truly good character.  Even for the best of writers, it doesn't happen with every character.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 02:26:48 PM »

Very well said, Julie.

Here L-A, If you still aren't sure, this is a great place to start...

http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/divaspage/marysue.html

this is a test for "The Young Riders" fan fiction, but it's still a great guideline for any character. Just adapt any specific-to-that -fandom questions to BSB related ones that answer the same thing.

If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
  • the author formerly known as filiklepto
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 05:26:06 PM »

Haha, the Mary Sue Litmus Test is hilarious!  I also get a huge kick out of the original Mary Sue test that was released for the Gargoyles fandom.

Anyone else think it would be extremely useful if someone adapted the test for BSB fics?
my muse is such a lush

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 05:36:32 PM »

Someone on here actually adapted it once, but the link no longer works for whatever reason.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 10:04:55 AM »

Yeah, we did try that once... we'll have to do it again.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 12:13:38 PM »

I nominate Julie to host it. lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey